Sorry for not posting on this thread recently; for some reason, my notebook (the one I use up in the living room end of the house) woudln’t let me log in & I wasn’t able to get the time to go in the office due to time issues.
We’ve got two little kids (both under 3) & when I’m in the living room preventing nuclear war, I surf & post from the notebook. Time in the office is 99% estimates & work.
We did the cleaning. Used two quart bottles of Shingle Shield - I had bought it about 1+ years ago to try on my in-law’s house, but never did the job because I was unsure about the water pressure situation. Their roof is really REALLY badly stained due to a large canopy of Oaks on all sides but North, so the condensation never gets burned off.
Back to the paid job. This was a 16sq 4:12 / 8 sq .5:12 or less, really more of a ‘true flat’.
@ First, I had the mixture off because on the bottle it says “@ 1:1 ratio, this mixture becomes inert” but I didn’t spot the “inert” part & our 1st sprayer full was too thick a mix, I think.
I will also get a larger sprayer for the next roof because the one we used needed constant re-pressurization since it only held a smaller quantity of product.
We rented a pressure washer from ‘Big Orange Box’ - the smaller of their gas powered units, & did the 24 hour rental because I figured I’d clean off my porch & sidewalk while I was @ it. The job took over 4 hours, anyhow, so that was a good thing (their rental program for it was 4 hours or 24 hours).
I also got a 2nd jet hose (goes between the sprayer & the unit) so I wouldn’t have to worry about repositioning from the ground. It really was a 2 man job because the hose is so heavy, it pulled on the spray operator & would get in the way a lot.
The roof came out very good & the only area that didn’t look factory new was one that had a LOT of deep, impregnated algae due to a low hanging tree directly over this part of the roof.
We never got the spray tip closer than around 18" to the shingles & there was a small amount of water that leaked in around a shallow curbed skylight.
We also had some rotten fascia, drip edge & one 2x4’d rafter tip to fix, so I can’t break this part out exclusively. The total price for all the structural repairs as well as the cleaning was $ 1,600.00 - no shingle work was required & there weren’t any fish mouths to worry about.
I’d say the total time onsite for the cleaning (not including a fuel run & to / from the rental) was around 4 hours or so.
I took some before photos & think I might have some after pics. I did take a photo on the roof with the customer; he was very satisfied with the results (that’s him on the L - the R photo is a job we finished last Wednesday).
Right now, I’m dealing with the flu & am having a hard time thinking straight what with my head feeling like it’s in a vise.
I’m guessing I will ask for 400.00 labor, 40.00 per gallon of cleaner, 75.00 for the rental & 20.00 per square for a 6:12, 30.00 per square for a 7:12, 40.00 / sq for 8:12… I think I’ll try out my inlaw’s roof next. They are a 6:12 & that will give me a feel for how dificult the added pitch is.
One last item - I seem to have got a nasty case of “sprayer’s elbow” from the constant back & forth motion of the wand. Ouch.