Need new roof and have a few questions

Hello,
I am new to the forum and have found a lot of great info so far, so thanks to all who provide your much appreciated feedback/input. We purchased our first home in 2012 which we still live in today and plan to stay in for at least another 5 years. There have been a lot of learning experiences along the way. Now another first, we need a new roof due to hail damage. Our claim has been approved and now I am in the process of finding 2-3 reputable roofers in our area of North Texas. Keep in mind, in our area you are lucky to get 10 years out of your roof due to the chances of damaging hail storms. I have spoken with two roofers to this point. Any input on the pros/cons of what they have provided me so far would be appreciated. Neither has given a full quote at this point so I have no numbers to include.

Roofer 1:
CT shingles
Lifetime Warranty Workmanship
Closed valleys
6 nails per shingle per CT guidelines
15lb synthetic felt

Roofer 2:
CT or GAF shingles
5 year workmanship warranty
5 nails per shingle
Prefers open valleys but will do closed if I want
30 lb felt
New lead boots (sorry if that is correct terminology but if I remember right that is what he said)

I know that probably leaves a lot of open questions but that is what I have so far. I left my notes at home so there is probably more they explained and I forgot to mention. And to be fair to roofer 1, I had to cut my talk with them short due to work but I plan to get more information from them to better compare to roofer 2. What are your thoughts on open vs closed valleys? What do you think of GAF vs. CT vs. Tamko? Thanks in advance for your input.

0 Likes

If you have a scope of loss in hand, why are you asking for quotes? If you ask a great roofing company for a quote when you have a scope of loss, they’ll probably no bid. We would because our estimates are higher than the insurance 99 out of 100 times.’

What you’ve put up there doesn’t mean much. We install synthetic underlayment only. I prefer closed valleys except if the shingle type and architecture favor the look of open valleys. Lead boots are better as long as you don’t have squirrels who like to gnaw on the lead. I would think any roofer would provide new pipe flashings. Not sure I understand 5 nails. We use a 6 nail pattern on every roof. Are they installing ice & water in the valleys (code item - valley metal satisfied code as well)?

Not a GAF fan. I think you can get Malarkey there, from everything I’ve seen, they’re the best. What’s much more important is to find a good Contractor to install the roof. Any shingle out there will work fine if installed correctly.

0 Likes

Thanks for the info Authentic_Dad. Like I said, learning experience here. I was not aware of the fact most companies would not quote me a price with a scope of loss in hand. And to be clear, I am not trying to obtain bids but speaking with multiple companies in search of someone who does good work. I only mentioned not having a quote to make it clear that I don’t have pricing or know any numbers as far as what these companies would charge.

Can I ask why you prefer closed valleys over open? Is it an aesthetic thing and you think it makes for a cleaner looking final product? I have gone back and forth on what I prefer based on looks alone. I have driven past numerous homes with both and one house I like the open and the next I think closed looks better ha. The roofer who told me they use a 5 nail pattern said he thinks 6 is too many and can cause more issues than good? From what I have read online it seems like 6 is much better to withstand the various elements.

Our current roof we are replacing is GAF Timberline. The granular loss we’ve seen over the last few years had me concerned and I asked a roofer about it and they said it was nothing to worry about. But our gutters were always filled with granules so I didn’t like that. I have seen some roofers who install Malarkey here so it can be had I just hadn’t heard much about them compared to these three. I will be sure to look around at that. And your point about finding a good contractor being much more important is right on spot with everything I have read so I am definitely trying to make sure I make that the priority. I appreciate your feedback!

0 Likes

I didn’t say many, I said the best companies probably won’t. I’d guess there’s no shortage of Contractors in your area that would do the work for the scope amount and pay your deductible. Which is technically illegal (Insurance fraud) but nobody ever gets caught. However, ethically it is wrong which is more important to me. Besides, I plan on staying in business and don’t know how to do that discounting my prices by $1000 or more per roof. Wait, I would know how to do that. Cut corners everywhere I can and use crews that do shoddy work and therefore, work for a lower rate.

A good roofer can install valleys with just shingles and it won’t leak as long as there’s no debris build up. I don’t like the look of open valley metal as it will corrode and look like mud over a relatively short period of time. I don’t even get copper valley metal because it will form a patina over a relatively short period of time as well. I prefer good quality ice & water shield installed, as a valley lining, with a properly installed shingle valley on top of it. I like a closed cut, half laced valley for aesthetics and performance. Don’t get a crew that uses the “Mexican Cut” valley installation, at least in my opinion.

Do your research and look for the best crews before seeking any bids. If you would tell me what city you’re in, I may even be able to recommend a top crew from contractors I network with. Depends on where you’re at. Choose the crew based upon which one you prefer to do the work. Then provide them with a copy of your scope of loss. They may think it is okay or may tell you they will need to supplement. Depending on your Insurance Company and the Adjuster, they occasionally do write a reasonable scope of loss. I’m just saying that asking for bids from a bunch of contractors is a waste of their time. The one(s) you probably want to do the work will be higher than the ones you don’t want on your property.

If you’re that into it, go to a local roofing materials company and ask to see an individual 30 year laminated shingle from several Manufacturers including GAF. Hold and examine each. That should tell you right there why you don’t want to choose GAF. The one thing GAF does do well is market and they exert a lot of effort in their Pro Contractor Network. That doesn’t do much for you as the guy buying the roof. I personally think Certainteed, Owens Corning Duration and Atlas Pinnacle Pristine are the best laminated 30 year shingles out there. Ask that question here though and you’ll get a dozen different answers. With where you’re at, I’d consider spending some additional money to upgrade to the Atlas StormMaster Slate. Thicker shingle with a Lifetime rating and a higher Hail rating.

0 Likes

As having roofed in Texas and Virginia. I can definitely say that the acceptable standard for roofing varies. Its hard to say which is a better system without seeing or knowing more about the roof. In Texas, most of the salesman are just that, salesman. There is a lot of inexperience in the roofing industry. And typically how your roof looks now will be exactly how it will look afterwards, just with a different shingle.

Most contractors will prefer the shingle that they have grown to trust. I personally like CT because it’s mostly what i have used and I haven’t had any issues as of yet. But in the end almost everyone will tell you that the contractor and their warranty are most important. I also like regular 3 n 1 metal boots. Just because they cover more roof away from the pipe itself then leads do. And if a lead leaks then you usually have to change it. As far as the valleys and ventilation, knowing what your roof looks like would help. Some things come into play that would make me decide one way over another.

0 Likes

Lot of great information and again, I thank you for your reply. I am located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. If you have any a recommendation of a crew in my area please let me know. I appreciate your help for sure!

0 Likes

If you would PM me your name and phone number, I will ask one to call you. You can PM me if you wish. Thanks.

0 Likes

I had my roof in McKinney done a couple years ago. Thankfully, we avoided the major stuff this time in the most recent hail storm a couple weeks ago. Other houses in my neighborhood did not fare as well.
Our project went pretty smoothly and I felt the contractor did a great job. We paid him extra to do some extra painting work while he was at it. He was easy to work with and is local. Some of these roofers come in from other states since there can be so much business. The nice thing with a local contractor is that that they have well established relationships with their subs. A lot of the roofing guys you talk to will also just be salesmen and once you sign you’ll never see or hear from them again. Not the case with this guy.

Message me if you want his info.
*edited to remove his info

2 Likes

I’m sure you aren’t associated with that company at all…Couldn’t possibly be a spam post…

2 Likes

I joined just to tell this fellow Texan about the guy who did my roof. I couldn’t figure out how to message him directly until now, which I did.
These roofers in North Dallas are pernicious and I’m happy to help someone out. Every market is different and with the amount of unskilled labor available here, there is a lot of cutthroat competition.

I’m going to edit the other post to remove the name of the company.

1 Like

It actually didn’t feel like a spam or self advertisement post to me.

1 Like

My apologies for jumping the gun. We get lots of people spamming here. Thanks for contributing and trying to help someone out.

2 Likes

I’m definitely not spamming. Came to this forum to understand the process a little bit better. I have 3 roofs that need replacing in the Dallas area. I am little unclear why anyone would mention insurance fraud when you are replacing a roof? My insurance company has issued me 3 checks and they can be used however I like to replace the roof. At least that is what the claims adjuster told me. It seems like all the roofing companies I have talked to would like to defraud my insurer though. They all want a copy of the claim summary and most brag about how the insurance company always leaves hidden costs off the claim and how they are pros at inflating the claim. One of my homes they did leave off the damage to garage door and I’m not quite sure how that is going to get handled.

Anyways, just curious if anyone had any advice how I get these 3 roofs replaced with impact resistant shingles from Certainteed and not have spend more than my insurance has provided me with? One roof is 29 squares and the other is 31 squares. Both are single story 6/12 pitch roofs.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Few photos of roof/house for reference. Roof1

0 Likes

What is your advice on skylights? Current ones were installed by last homeowner when roof was replaced. So roughly 11-12 years old. I would imagine they would hold up longer but what are the chances of them leaking with a new roof going on? I am wondering if it wouldn’t just be worth it to replace while having the roof replaced and save some possible headaches later down the road. But if it’s not necessary, might not be worth it if we are only staying in this house for 5 more years.

0 Likes

replace the skylights please.
Yes they can be saved if money is tight.
But you would be kinda screwing over the next owner
Because that skylight will not last the entire life of the next roof.
They only cost about 125 a piece around here.

2 Likes

The insurance company underpays (leaves line items off) over 95% of the time. That’s why the roof contractors you spoke with want to see your scope of loss. If you’re okay with them leaving necessary items off, then hug that scope of loss tightly to your chest.

“That’s what the claim adjuster told me.” Chances are high you received ACV (Actual Cash Value) checks. There generally is recoverable depreciation left over that you will receive once the roof replacement has been been done. You are correct, the ACV checks are yours to do with as you please. You can use them to go on a vacation if you wish. However, to be paid the recoverable depreciation, you need to turn in an invoice when the work is complete. If that is less than the amount specified by the insurance, you’ll receive less.

You can whore out the jobs to some contractor stupid enough to install impact resistant shingles for the same price as standard. Plenty of them around your area.

“One of my homes they did leave off the damage to garage door and I’m not quite sure how that is going to get handled.” The same way a good contractor will get the items they left off the roof handled. Through a supplement.

It sounds like you don’t know anywhere near what you think you do about an insurance claim. You would likely benefit by finding a competent contractor to work with that understands insurance work and hand your scope of loss over to them. Or, if you trust your Adjuster more, have him come out and do your work.

0 Likes

Replace the skylights. Spend the money and buy quality Velux skylights. Those are substantially more than $125 but well worth it.

2 Likes

Thanks roof_lover. I certainly don’t want to risk leaks and more problems down the road. I’ve seen mixed estimates so wasn’t sure how much life a 10 year old skylight had left. I found the old paperwork and they are 4 ft x 4 ft in size and I have two of them. Looks like roughly $500 each for the skylight unit alone

0 Likes

I was figuring it would be worth the extra money to do it now and save myself from having to spend much more down the road.

0 Likes