Need good solid roofing advise

I am building a cabin completely off the grid in Alaska where all materials are shipped in on a charter landing craft. The cabin has a 10/12 pitch and last summer when attempting to finish the roof we realized our supplier had provide 3/8" plywood versus the 1/2" that I had ordered. We had no choice to put the 3/8" on and then cover with roofing felt secured by pieces of scrap wood. Our plan was to also get the metal roofing on but then the torrential rains came so we had no choice to leave it until this springs trip back out to finish it up.
My question is should how should I proceed, my initial thoughts were to add another layer of 3/8" sheathing staggering the current pieces but others have weighed in and suggested due to the extreme moisture on Kodiak Island that this would be disastrous causing water entrapping layers leading to mold. The suggestion is to use pressure treated 2x4’s spaced at 16" apart and placed horizontally. Then just put the metal over it.
Are there any other thoughts someone is willing to share?
Thank you,

I would go with the 2x4 method myself.

1 Like

I would go with 2x4’s but non treated.

I’d move to Florida.

Why are you saying non-treated?

You win the award for dumb replies for the day! Job well done!

Kewl. It was tongue in cheek. I’m only in second now for the A-hole of the day reply. Congratulations, you seem to have accomplished it effortlessly, you’re a natural. And I’m not the dummy that ordered the wrong decking pal.

2 Likes

I was shipped the incorrect decking by the lumber yard and when you are 8 hours away by a chartered landing craft that costs $11K per trip you work with what you have.
Sorry but stupid comments like yours define whom you are, A-Hole! Lastly, be careful who’s cheeks you put your tongue in!

Man some people can’t take a joke.
Do your own homework.

I suppose when the Zombie Apocalypse hits, I’m not going to be welcome in your cabin with the leaking roof huh? What a shame, you seem like such a pleasant person.

2 Likes

Oh, so that was a joke? Okay now I’m laughing. Are you happy :rofl:

Fact is that is was a dumb comment and then he proceeded to call me an A-Hole. Sorry but I don’t find it funny as I asked a serious question and someone chimes in with stupidity that is not at all related to the roofing forum. I find it funny there are always a bunch of trolls that think they add value when in reality it’s just sad.

It is not necessary and more weight to ship. Treated lumber is sometimes still sold wet and can take some time to dry out, I have seen it do some crazy stuff when trapped in roofing Assemblies as it dries.

CCA And other copper based chemicals used to treat the lumber can react with dis similar metals such as steel and aluminum. I would not risk having the treated lumber prematurely deteriorating your roofing panels or fasteners.

MPA’s response is correct. What was the suppliers response to the error?

1 Like

MPA,
You are a credit to the roofing trade! Excellent information!

RooferOhio,
I could certainly complain about the supplier because they have made multiple errors on this 3 year project but in the end they have always made things as right as possible. The first year of the project they failed to fulfill my order with 3/4 plywood for the roof of the outhouse and the response was that “they meant to call me and ask if 5/8 would be okay because they were out of 3/4”, but since they forgot to call I got nothing!
Year two went well but year three, last summer was brutal, missing lag bolts, wrong size plywood and the worst thing was no Passlode gas cartridges or nails. Fortunately we staggered our flights in and my son was able to pick up the lag bolts and nails when he came in two days later. We were able to use the air compressor and pneumatic nail guns in the interim.
As far as the wrong size plywood, they gave me a full credit on all 68 sheets totaling $1667. Lumber is not cheap on Kodiak Island and there is only one supplier unless I want to ship from Seattle or Anchorage at crazy shipping rates.

MPA,
Thanks again and very much appreciated.

Does it really say 3/8’on the sheet?
Or does it say 15/32 or something like that.
Regardless,
if you are installing 2x4 batton,
You are totally good to go as far as structural integrity.
My issue would be if that one layer of felt is sufficient.
I would be scared it is not enough to fight against condensation.

They don’t have hammers in AK? Paslode clip head nails are for tacking things together, CC sinkers are for framing…

I"m going to add one step that I use from years of experience. I would purchase treated 1x4’s. Run them, vertical on every rafter. Then purchase non treated 2x4’s and run them as purlins. This gives any moisture a way out and doesn’t touch your non treated 2x4’s. You are already having to make up for the 1-1/2 of gap at the rake and eave, so another 3/4" isn’t a big deal. I like this method because I’ve pulled metal off homes that used non treated 1x4’s for metal and they were rotted because of condensation. This method allows moisture to move to the eave.

4 Likes