Mismatched shingles - what gives?

Hey folks. I just had my roof replaced by a contractor. The roof looks great with one exception…there is a few large areas where the shingles are a lighter color. It almost looks like sun shining through the trees in big blotches. I’ve read here that CRC shingles are frowned upon which now makes me nervous.

In any case, I have not paid my contractor and expect to be doing battle with either him or his supplier. Any suggestions on how to handle this? (What is typical way this is handled in the residential roofing industry?)

Thanks in advance.

Canoe2fish

Sounds like a manufacturing problem and no fault of the contractor. Based on the information you’re posting I’d say pay the man.

Thanks. How can I be sure the supplier or mfg. will stand by thier product? I realize the contractor did not intentionally install bad shingles, but he did in fact install a bad product…is it not his duty to sort this out with his supplier? If I pay up, I have no recourse but to chase people around to go to court.

Ie: If I have my car repainted and the paint bubbles and peels, is this not the body shops problem to deal with? I wouldn’t accept a job like that either.

Who makes CRC shingles.

Some shingle manufacturers recommend you shuffle a few bundles together.Just because some shingles are lighter does not mean that the shingles are defective,read the bundles carefully it may tell you right on there about color variations.If it does you may not have a case with the manufacturer.If it bothers you that much ask your roofer to change some of the lighter colored ones.But pay the man,nothing worse than doing a job and not getting paid,especially for a few oddball shingles…

your problem is caused by different batches of granules from the factory and happens with every brand of shingle. it’s not possible for them to mix every batch of granules exactly the same colour, so they aim for close enough. some brands (like IKO) have the batch number on the wrapper and a warning not to mix them, some don’t. if it’s just a slight variation then leave it, it should become less obvious after the shingles weather for a few years. the only way to fix it is to replace them. or maybe a very light misting of spraypaint :wink:

def. not the roofers fault. if you stand directly on top of the shingles (where he is while installing) you will not notice it. it is more noticeable from a distance. it is in no way your roofers fault. it is the manufactures fault.

I agree with what has been said here. Pay the man your beef is with the manufacturer. If you pay him he might help you get a claim done and take care of all the paperwork.

I’m in roofing, and do not agree, but I would get with the Roofer and work something out.

The shingle rep for the area you are in needs to come out first, the determine what has happened with the shingles and usually replaces them at their costs. Sometimes this takes time for them to do! Have yourself and the roofer meet with the rep at the job, you and the roofer stress to him how badly color difference is. the work it out.

This has happened to me, The Rep determined the bundle lot numbers came from different plants of manufacturing, thus giving the bad color difference. He Replaced the shingles and labor to do at their costs.

Then I was paid the balance.

I understand the Roofers point of view, sometimes this is not noticeable during the installation, Not until light effects shows it more visually from the ground level.

A Roofer always wants paid when the job is done, he or she has obligations to pay their people and etc…

Determine an amunt Fair to both of you, hold it ,get roof replaced, pay him.

Everyone is happy, and you have the quality of job You expected.

N.Carolina

I did a roof one time, it was a two story colonel with attached garage. The shingles on the garage were a different shade of blue than the ones on the house.

And the company I get my supplies from paid the cost to have them removed and new ones put on that matched.

I would talk with the roofer and let him know (in a nice way it will get you farther) you don’t like it.

This is exactly what I requested. I need to know if the mfg. will stand by thier product. If not, then I have a problem. This isnt a few shingles, it is big blotches like a 10’ x 6’ swirl sort of thing. mixed in here & there would not have looked bad.

Thanks to all for your input

[quote=“Awargoddess”]I’m in roofing, and do not agree, but I would get with the Roofer and work something out.

The shingle rep for the area you are in needs to come out first, the determine what has happened with the shingles and usually replaces them at their costs. Sometimes this takes time for them to do! Have yourself and the roofer meet with the rep at the job, you and the roofer stress to him how badly color difference is. the work it out.

This has happened to me, The Rep determined the bundle lot numbers came from different plants of manufacturing, thus giving the bad color difference. He Replaced the shingles and labor to do at their costs.

Then I was paid the balance.

I understand the Roofers point of view, sometimes this is not noticeable during the installation, Not until light effects shows it more visually from the ground level.

A Roofer always wants paid when the job is done, he or she has obligations to pay their people and etc…

Determine an amunt Fair to both of you, hold it ,get roof replaced, pay him.

Everyone is happy, and you have the quality of job You expected.

N.Carolina[/quote]

CRC is a separately branded product manufactured by IKO. In my area, they are sold at the local Menards, but no suppliers that I am aware of.

I would not put much stock in getting any help from a subsidiary of IKO for helping you out.

The roofer did his job with the specified shingles, so he should be paid in full. Your beef is with the manufacturer, not the installer.

Ed

CRC Roofing (IKO)
Toronto, Ontario

www.CanRoof.com
Canroof Corporation is Canada’s newest shingle manufacturer. Located on
Comissioners Street in Central Toronto, Canroof’s plant is one of the most
modern asphalt roofing manufacturing facilities in Canada.

Well that explains that.

:wink:

if it looks like crap to ya,
and bothers you then just tell your contracter.
im sure theyll work somethin out for ya.

gweedo.

made in Canada, what kind of quality did you really expect?

Whats that supposed to mean?

i think someones from canada.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]i think someones from canada.

gweedo.[/quote]

Good guess Gweedo,lol

John they are talking about IKO and CRC shingles. Thats the norm around here. Hey maybe i can get you to send me so katsup chips man them things are very very good. I remember them from when i was a little boy going to canada with my parents.