Min Charges for repairs

Guys

Do you have a min charge for repairs? I’m new to the business but have experienced roofers working for me. We get all kinds of repairs from blown off shingles to chimney leaks. Some take 30 minutes to fix and others take 2 or more hours. Also what type of warranty is standard for leak repairs? These are calls for leaks another roofing company did the work originally. I guess I need to know how to charge for the job. From what I have seen roofing companies seem to charge quite alot for repairs that take little time. Not that I’m complaining but I’m trying to get a feel for industry standard pricing practices.

Thanks

Hourly and a min. service charge

$95 per hour + materials. 2 hour minimum charge.

150 first hour, 75 each additional.

damn ive been over charging I fixed 4 leaks the other day it took 1.5 hours and i charged $400. I just figure what the worst case senerio would be and charge for that.

30 minutes to 1.5 hrs.
Not bad if that’s total, travel times to, meeting the client, getting the materials, doing the job, traveling back to the shop. That’s speedy alright.

Yes, a few go like that. But those few involved getting the stuff you already have in the truck together. That time, to me is worth something also. Not to mention gas, ins, oh, etc.

I charge $250. to go and do anything. $65. a mh after that.

We a have a min. charge of $200 just to show up, then $85 per man hour thereafter + materials…

Normally most repairs are done for under $400 depending on circumstances.

We warrant repairs for only 5 years…

i do a lot of free repairs.

in fact, MOST of my repairs are done for free.

Repairs can run from free to close to the cost of a new roof for a small house.

What type of repair are you talking about?

[quote="-Axiom-"]Repairs can run from free to close to the cost of a new roof for a small house.

What type of repair are you talking about?[/quote]

Great answers and just what I was looking for. I was not targeting anything specific. Just trying to get a feel for labor hours spent and what to charge in general. Also wanted to hear if you guys had a min charge. I’m in Houston. Although you can get good prices here on reroofs, repairs seem to be a better market for the roofer. I went out to a house the other day to find and repair a leak that that was near the chimney. The fix was to remove the chimney flashing and 1 square of shingles. Replaced about 2 sheets of rotten plywood, installed 1 square of 30 year shingles and reflashed the chimney. I charged $725.00 including the materials. The job took about 3 hrs. I did as an added bonus give them a CD with pictures of the job and a report of what I found to be defective. The roof was just out of warranty. The other day however I was called out to replace about 15 ft of ridge shingles that had blown off. It really took less than 30 minutes. I was going to charge $169.00 plus the bundle cost but the old guy did not look well. I never went back to collect from him. My experienced roofers say their previous employers would have charged at least $250.00 even for something that simple. I guess I need to harden up. You guys have basically reinforced what my roofers were telling me that repairs cost customers fairly steep prices for labor hours spent. Jason are your free repairs to bring in business later or you looking for the CNN hero award? Could a few more of you tell me what is standard for warranty period on repairs. I think around here it’s only 6-9 months??

I charge 150 per hour … min. 1 hour. plus any major materials and sales tax. most repairs take under an hour.

you CAN NOT warranty a repair or patch. Does the auto mechanic warranty your old shit box car when he attempts to patch it ? Yo can NOT assume the liability for an old roof that you did not install for a lousy few hundred dollars.

1 Like

[quote=“Agape”]i do a lot of free repairs.

in fact, MOST of my repairs are done for free.[/quote]

If the customer is getting a temporary patch to get them by until they can afford to replace the whole roof, I do it for free. If they want a a leak repair because of faulty craftsmanship of another crew, I generally start around $250 + MAT.

Hey Jason… I have a “repair” I need done on one of my rental houses… It’s a 24 SQ 2 layer “repair” can you do it for free?

Just kidding… Hey your guys were doing great on the house. I didn’t see it at the end of the day, but they made good progress. Looks good!

my free repairs are usually when its less than a bundle of shingles to replace, one or two pipe jacks (the rubber boots wear out fast here, and thats usually a cause of a leak) or a simple flashing repair.

i tell them that i need to look at it to price it, then if we can fix it in under an hour or so, we just fix it, and say “thanks, if you need anything else, or know anyone who needs a roof, just let them know who we are”

usually end up with a complete roof job from a referral due to about every 4 to 6 free repairs we do.

I dont advertise it anywhere, and dont post any of the testimonials where people have mentioned the free repair anywhere, because i dont want anyone to expect it, and im not looking for the “CNN Hero award” either. Just trying to build this company up by word of mouth, and doing good things for people when i can.

Kody - we should have that nasty sucker wrapped up by noonish today. Thanks for checkin on it for me!

$89.50/hr/man with $250.00 min. WE NEVER WARRANTY ANY REPAIR WORK! Exactly what rooferj said 100%. You shouldn’t assume any liability for a couple hundred dollars.

You couldn’t do that here Jason. The re-roofs are already given away. You’d be out of business if you gave way the repairs TOO :shock:

Never warranty repair work and never do a “free” repair because it is only a temporary patch until they do it in spring. You never know if they are going to go with your or not.

200 to show up, 80 per man per hour 2 hour minimum plus materials is how we usually do it.

Last small repair was just put on almost two bundles of shingles that blew off and got 430 for it. Good 20 minutes.

[quote=“Agape”]my free repairs are usually when its less than a bundle of shingles to replace, one or two pipe jacks (the rubber boots wear out fast here, and thats usually a cause of a leak) or a simple flashing repair.

i tell them that i need to look at it to price it, then if we can fix it in under an hour or so, we just fix it, and say “thanks, if you need anything else, or know anyone who needs a roof, just let them know who we are”

usually end up with a complete roof job from a referral due to about every 4 to 6 free repairs we do.

I dont advertise it anywhere, and dont post any of the testimonials where people have mentioned the free repair anywhere, because i dont want anyone to expect it, and im not looking for the “CNN Hero award” either. Just trying to build this company up by word of mouth, and doing good things for people when i can.

Kody - we should have that nasty sucker wrapped up by noonish today. Thanks for checkin on it for me![/quote]

Jason

Just screwing with you about the hero award. I like your idea for the free quick repairs to build your name and draw in referrals. Do you guys not feel like you could offer a warranty on a repair when you reflashed a chimney on a perfectly good roof that was improperly flashed to begin with?

No such thing as free ! Its costing YOU. Its also making you look like the chump that you probably are. You never give your skills away for free, if you do you are a moron and should not be in business. I have to say it like it is. You need to know and respect the value of your own work.

I see where Jason is coming from when it comes to the marketing end, because if you get one or two full roofs off a free small repair it pays for itself. But I also agree with RooferJ, by giving away free repairs you aren’t valuing the ability and skill of your employees and you are feeding that mentality that roofing is easy and anyone can do it. In the homeowners minds they might be thinking heck it cant be that hard they didnt even charge me for it.

Its a catch 22 for me because I see the marketing potential but I don’t like giving away stuff for free. Ive never heard of anyone calling a plumber or electrician and not receiving the bill.