Low slope nail patterns

Should a different nail pattern be used to install architectural shingles on a slope of 3/12.

0 Likes

Just make sure your nails are far from the side laps.

2 Likes

In addition it would be best to hand nail the low slope portion and whether you hand nail or use a nail gun you should invest in hot dipped galvanized or better nails.

1 Like

Make sure every nail is in the double thickness portion of the shingle. Most low slope leaks I see in shingles are from high nailing. If the nails are above the double thickness it pulls the top half of the shingle down right to the deck forming a troph Dr water to sit in.

1 Like

So are you saying stay away from the end of the shingle? Normally I use a four nail pattern |. . . .| an inch away from the ends and then every 12 inches
Are you saying | … |

0 Likes

Make your butt joints a bit bigger and take care to keep nails 4"+ from the butt joints.

0 Likes

You use 4 nails? I didn’t even know that was allowed anymore.

0 Likes

Manufacturer instructions call for 4 nails under standard conditions. Pet peeve of mine is 5 nailers, but I get it at the same time.

What/why is the standard pattern in your area tileman?

1 Like

I don’t know all manufacturers requirements as we mainly install Malarkey.
To get their high wind warranty 6 nails are required. We have always 6 nailed even before using Malarkey. Just have to make sure the installers keep them away from butt joints.

0 Likes

It depends on the manufacturer. Many require ice and water in order to not void the warranty. I’d call the manufacturers area rep if you’re unsure.

0 Likes