Kitchen/bathroom exhaust fan vent options?

Looking for the most efficient and attractive way of providing anexhaust outelt for a couple of exhaust fans…

Currently, my kitchen and bathroom exhaust vents upstairs tie into a 4" (?) solid duct that leads up to the ridge vent to exhaust…in my basement bathroom, a 4" flexible duct is connectedto a 4" grate (I think its really a soffit vent grate) in my lower soffit (split entry home with overhang).

I want the contractor doing my roof and s&f to take care of this…he says he needs to see what i have going on when he gets into the job but is thinking maybe for the upstairs of using a 4" pipe punchedthrough the roof and terminating in curve …like aa upside down “j”.

Is there any better, more attractove method for doing this or is this the best option?

DO they make any sort of under-soffit vent termination that will provide goodflow yet look unobtrusive?? The downstairs vent is at the front of the house, at eye level.

Thanks in advance folks!

This guy has no clue what he is doing. There are many types of vents that have flappers so you do not lose energy from heaing and cooling as much. I dont know where you found this guy but that is NOT the way to vent a bath or kitchen vent. He is not a pro in any means of the term. Asking for cash, having you pay for materials up front. Good luck to you. I would fire this guy faster than you could say bye bye. Maybe others feel the same or different. But i think you found a HACK.

grainger.com/Grainger/items/2C905

Thanks! That looks like the ticket…

I checked out what I have up there…it is two sperate ducts in the same vicinty…one is a 4" duct…(bathroom vent fan that has a flapper built in to it), the other is a 6" (kitchen vent hood) duct…Can I tie these together somehow and then run to that roof vent or should each be its own thing??

Thanks for the feedback…

Fire him and hire WHO? Ialready said that the other 5 guys I interviewed werent any more impressive…they all had pros and cons in my eyes…this guy seemed like the most concientious and hontts of them all…He wrote the costs out for all of the skylight materials from his vendor and said I could buy them myself elsewhere if I preferred since it was such a large chunk of money…The prices he quoted were in line with the others I got…

I asked HIM if I could by my skylights myself at Home Depot.,…saved ME money in both upfront cost and financing. And he agreed with a smile. He even volunteered to go out of his way to pick them up for me when they came in. So I dont see that as a red flag at all.

I did put down a deposit…all of the contractors I have ever dealt with require that to some degree.
And he did say he was going to buy all the roofing stuff (shingles, palisade underlayment, driop edge etc etc etc ) with that…and of course I know some of that is to pay himself…So what materials have I been forced to pay up-front that would be any different from any other contractor? Not one contractor said “No pay till we are done”.

As for the venting question…he offered the j-bend-pipe as one (cheap) option for me…my vents will be on the back of the house and have flappers built into them already at the motor side of the vent so really another flapper is redundant. He also said that there were different roof and soffit vents we could use…based on what he saw when he got up into my attic. And of course, my choice could affect how much more cash outlay I have to do…I personally LIKE options.

And again, the cash thing was not a requirement…he asked me if it was possible…and again, I have paid cash for work before from folks and for services and they were far frrom being fly-by-night.

As to the WHY he asked, none of my business…I look at that the same way I look at the retail stores who wont take a certain credit card or dont take personal checks. I have my receipt and that is as legal as any personal check.

If this guy is a hack in someone’s eyes then so be it…I guess the proof will be in the way the job turns out. AFter seeing hgis previous work I am not worried. And like I said, I have seen crap work from some of the most “experienced” and brick-and-mortared folks…

So I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I think the fact that you checked out his previous work goes a long way, even more so than anything a contractor can write in a proposal or say to you in person.

Sometimes, we get a bit too critical here, many times to losing jobs to under priced and less worthy competition and we see the defects in a roof system much more readily than a home owner would.

Some guys in Michigan are struggling to pay their rent, while other companies cut every corner and cheat ever place they can, to wind up being the lowest price, so that hurts the guy doing things legit.

You should NEVER vent your bathroom exhaust out of the soffit vents. They are Outdoor Fresh Air INTAKE Vents. The humidity dispelled through the soffits would wind up being pulled back into the attic.

Ed

I actually went out to see his hosue today…he had mentioned a couple times that he built his own home recently…it is a really nice home…and it is VERY recent as the yard is still bulldozed mud, etc…no driveway…everything looks brandy new. It looks real nice.

[quote=“ed the roofer”]
Sometimes, we get a bit too critical here, many times to losing jobs to under priced and less worthy competition and we see the defects in a roof system much more readily than a home owner would.[/quote]

I understand…

This is a forum for pros and I really dp appreciate ALL the feedback…even the harsh stuff…I am the type who likes to reason things out and think things through (probably OVERthink them actually)…and hearing all sides help that process…If I can feel still pretty good about this guy even after some of the negative stuff, that says something cause I am a paranoid cuss. LOL :wink:

[quote=“ed the roofer”]
You should NEVER vent your bathroom exhaust out of the soffit vents. They are Outdoor Fresh Air INTAKE Vents. The humidity dispelled through the soffits would wind up being pulled back into the attic.[/quote]

Actually, the previous owner (a contractor) had vented the bathroom and kitchen fan right into the attic…noteven a duct…just emptied at joist level to the attic…So I got up there and added 4" aluminum duct from the bathroom and the 6" with adaptor plenum for the kitchen…and have them emptying at the ridge vent right now…that is what brought up the disucssion on the vents…I want this fellow to punch the holes in the roof and put in vents that dump outside casue I KNOW its a real issue…the Grainger piece looks exactly like the one I want…they have a 6"…so can I adapt the 4" into the 6" line so Ican use one vent hood on theroof for both or do they have to be seperate?

The ducts are literally side by side…

1 for kitchen 1 for bathroom. Unless you want to smell the bathroom in the kitchen.

Yum…hadnt thought about that…LOL

My wife complains now…and the vents are seperate…LOL

One more thing,
You also want to make the runs to the roof as straight as possible, as you may have condensation otherwise.