Insurance sent check but roofer wants to see adjuster estimate before quoting

I filed a claim for hail damage on my roof. I had a roofing company meet the adjuster, but haven’t signed anything with them. My insurance company took the adjuster’s report, calculated ACV, added on Recoverable Depreciation, subtracted my deductible, mailed me a check, and closed the claim. So as best as I understand, this is the money I have to go get a new roof. I talked to the insurance company a bit about it, and they said if it ends up being more than that, submit them the paperwork and they might send me a supplemental check. If it ends up being less, then that’s their mistake and I should go buy an xbox.

So I’ve gotten several quotes now. And there are a couple of companies that have come in a couple thousand under the amount on my check. And as far as I can tell, in some cases they are using better materials than called out by the insurance company estimate. So I feel like this seems like the best deal, and I’ll have some extra cash leftover. I’ve been wanting to add some gutters anyway.

But the original roofing company that met the adjuster feels like I should go with them. And they’ve been great. BUT, but they won’t give me a quote without seeing the insurance company’s estimate. And I’m like, give me a quote and THEN I’ll let you see the insurance estimate. They say they can’t charge me less than what insurance gives me or it’s illegal, which I think is wrong in this case (in the way that my insurance has treated the claim). And they say they’ll work with insurance to get more money if insurance missed something, but I feel like I can do that anyway with any roofer. It shouldn’t stop them from giving me a quote up front. So I feel like they’re going to charge me what my check is, then add on extra for the better materials. I feel like this is not the best value.

Are they wrong? Am I wrong?

Dump the idiot and go with one of the others who took the time to give you a quote. You obviously own your home without a mortgage. You can do what you like.

Did the first roofing company meet with the adjuster? If so they should be paid for that time.

I do have a mortgage, but I don’t see where that comes into play. The mortgage lender was on the check - they told me to mail it to them and they will endorse it and mail it back.

The first company did meet with the adjuster. They didn’t indicate that they would charge for that, but I’m not opposed to it. Should I ask them to bill me? What’s a fair price?

The first contractor should have signed a contract with you unless you had a Gentleman’s Agreement. Did they provide value? If so, don’t they deserve to be compensated?

When we work on claim jobs, we generally have a contract and if the claim gets approved, we get to do the work. 95% or more of the time, our estimate is higher than the IC scope of loss, so we have to supplement.

Sounds like you’re pretty excited about making some money off of your claim and posted here to try to justify actions you know are not morally sound. Now I bet you reply with some anger because you have been called out. Shame on the first contractor trusting you to do the right thing. If the Insurance paid your claim in full upfront, you are right, you can handle the money any way you wish. If they held back recoverable depreciation, you’ll be committing insurance fraud if you turn in an invoice for an amount less than you actually pay.

1 Like

So your insurance company mailed you an acv? Then mailed you your Recoverable without a completion?

rooferama, sometimes, when the claim amount is below $5K or even $10K, the IC will pay it all upfront except the deductible of course. There are a few IC’s that most often pay it all regardless of the amount.

Thanks for the info. We haven’t seen that in Texas.

Texas House bill 2102 has me having new contracts printed according to the State law. Contract must include the statement. Insurers can require proof of the deductible being paid before paying the recoverable.

I’ve read quite a bit about it. Texas is special.

The first contractor did NOT have me sign a contract, and we didn’t have a verbal agreement that I was aware of. If they want to bill me for meeting with the adjuster, I will be happy to pay it. But at that point, I had not agreed or decided to work with any specific roofer yet. If I had known they would feel that way, I wouldn’t have had them be there. Misunderstandings.

My biggest issue with them at the moment is that they won’t give me a quote without seeing the scope of loss. I feel like they should be able to quote it without seeing the “answer” first. Several other roofers did (some were more, some were less).

I’m not trying to justify my actions, I’m trying to understand how all of this works, operate within the law, and get good value. If two contractors were going to give me comparable materials and workmanship, but one cost significantly less, it would be financially irresponsible and foolish of me to pay more, wouldn’t it?

The insurance company gave me a check for everything: ACV + recoverable depreciation - deductible. The way I understand it (and this is after discussing it with the insurance agent) is that I can use this money how I see fit, and if someone does the job for less (of course, I also want them to do a good job), then it’s ok and legal to keep the excess money. But if I’m wrong about this, please tell me. The reason I’m posting here is to get hopefully expert opinions on something I’m doing my best to understand. I’m trying to do the “right thing” AND save money.

FYI, I’m in Florida if that helps with any location specific differences in law, etc.

Sounds like the first contractor screwed up. I guess if I were you, I’d choose whichever contractor you feel will provide the best value. Just make sure to verify their licensing and that they have general liability and workman’s comp insurance rated for roofing. I’d also try to choose someone who is an established local contractor.

You’ve been told correctly. The money you received is yours to do what you wish with. You could spend it on a new car if you wanted. The insurance company rarely pays what they should initially but perhaps you got lucky. If someone is much less than your scope of loss amount, I’d be concerned about how they’re doing that. Better said, what corners they’re going to cut.

Good luck to you with your project.

1 Like