Insurance requiring a full roof replacement based on 1 photo

Our insurance company recently did a “random” and unannounced exterior inspection of our property (likely triggered because we filed for a permit to do some non-roof related updates to the home). The inspector took 5 photos of the property (only 1 of a section of the roof - this photo is below) As a result of the inspection, the insurance company is requiring me to replace my entire roof or they won’t re-insure my property.

I’m reluctant to do and entire replacement based on the evidence of a single photo. I’ve asked for a re-inspection where I can be present but they are not willing to do so. I definitely see issues with some shingles in the photo they took, but I’m wondering if the experienced roofers on this site would be willing to give advice on whether they agree with the insurance company’s assessment that the whole thing should be replaced? If possible, i’d rather get some patch work done to replace the issues they photographed and be done with it. Unfortunately I don’t know the age of the roof. I bought it 2 years ago and the seller was unclear as to when the last replacement was done. I’m assuming because they can’t remember, it was more than 15 years ago.

The language used by the inspector in their report was:

Roof Hazard
Lifting/Buckling Shingles: Several shingles randomly lifting on left side

And the photo is here:

Those shingles are at the end of their life. That bit of white showing is the fiberglass mat showing through.

Find the best insurance contractor in your area. Have them inspect the roof. See if there is any chance they can get it approved by filing a claim. Perhaps those lifted shingles are from wind damage and it is too brittle to repair. File the claim, get the insurance scumbags to pay for the roof they are requiring you to replace.

We have done this for people on at least two occasions. Very, very satisfying. If you’re in or near Indianapolis, Birmingham, Raleigh or Charlotte, NC, contact me. I’ll have someone come out and take a look at no charge. If not, post your location, I’ll let you know if I know a Pro in your area that could help you.

Not sure if my laptop is just too low resolution to see those pictures properly (quite possible) but those shingles look in perfectly fine condition to me.

Perhaps you should check with Haag Engineering. They and others disagree with you. A seal broken by a covered hazard constitutes damage. I’d be more afraid of a moron like you.

I agree with AD!!! Do as he has suggested and you will be happy again!

How can you see whether or not these shingles have physical damage? These shingles are 15+ year old 3-tabs that obviously don’t have proper ventilation… but that doesn’t matter in an insurance claim.

If she lives in a matching state, that roof is totaled. I guarantee that there is at least one tab on that roof that has either been lifted through the nail hole, creased or has undeniable mat transfer… all three of which ARE considered wind damage (would win appraisal 10/10 times) and covered by the homeowners policy.

Regardless, from what I can observe in the picture provided (which isn’t much, but after observing it very closely, I am in full agreement with ‘roofermann’ in regards to believing there is exposed fiberglass), this 15+ YO roof with a 20-25 year useful life, worst case scenario, can easily be argued as non-repairable and as long as you are persistent and have the correct representation as stated above by AD, you will win that battle.

I would not hold off on replacing the roof given its age and condition. I especially would not give up on this claim, because at this point you have nothing to lose. They are already asking you to replace the entire roof on your own dime. Not sure what state you live in, but if the contractor has no luck on the re-inspection and worst comes to worst (It happens sometimes… we cannot argue policy and the insurance provider technically doesn’t have to listen to us if we are acting as the General Contractor on the claim), I would definitely look into getting an appraiser to represent you on the claim before paying out of pocket. Even if you’re contractor is not willing to cover the appraiser and potentially umpire fee’s, it is still a much better option than the insurance provider is giving you now, which is 100% out of pocket. The appraisal process will end up taking some time, depending on the insurance company, maybe a very long time… but, as I said it beats coming out of pocket all day long.

If you by some crazy chance live around the Indianapolis area, I would be happy to take a look at it for you and devise a game plan if I can confirm any of the things I said above in regards to the picture (or find damage that the adjuster just so happened to ‘overlook’ while taking his one picture). Unfortunately, Indiana does not have a matching clause, which automatically voids the first and easiest option I proposed in this post.

I wish you the best of luck, truly!

The shingle still has some life, but if they are requiring you to change it then file a claim!

You indicated that you bought the home 2 years ago. Did the insurance company come and inspect the roof prior to binding coverage? If not, and they insured it anyway, you should file a claim. It is the insurance companies responsibility to prove the damage to the roof hasn’t been caused by wind, hail, ice, etc. There are definitely age, wear/tear issues, but if there is any damage other than that, the insurance company should be made to pay for the replacement.