Illegal workers in construction

I’ll keep getting back to this subject until joe123 gets it, so this will be the neverending thread. Joe123, LOW BIDDERS are the problem and you don’t get it. They are low by either ignorance or by breaking the law or cutting corners. There is no other way. I WAS a low bidder when I was 21 years old, because I didn’t know any better.

At the risk of unintentionally insulting any of my fellow roofers, lets face it, people aren’t kicking down doors for roofing jobs because it just didn’t work out with their aeronautics degrees. If I had to guess off the top of my head, I would say nine out of ten applicants for a job are illegals or drug addicts. That being said, is it possible that the MAJORITY of estimates for roofing are all underbid? I don’t care if you got ten bids lower than me if seven of them are going out of business, bankrupted, and possibly going to jail. A successful, responsible roofing company will always have a successful, responsible owner at the helm. I’ve yet to see a warrantee hold up through a bankruptcy.

If you think I’m angry you’re right. I’m sick of people like you living in million dollar homes trying to make me justify why I need to make a living too. It is disrespectful. Do some math with me. Easy simple math. How much is $60 an hour times 40 hours? $2400 a week. And their are roughly 4 weeks in a month, agreed? Well, since you’re an old man, I’m sure you remember a time when a bank wouldn’t give you a mortgage loan if you didnt gross 4 times as much as your monthly mortgage payment. My mortgage payment on a $280,000 home is just that, and thats a rather average home in Boston. Yet I’m sure if I gave you an itemized bill that says $60 an hour you’d flip. Guess what, that is you JUDGING a roofer merely because he’s a roofer, and hoping that you could exploit him. Just like people exploit illegals. In essence, I can spot a customer like you each and every time and I give them my itemized proposal and walk away without a thought to it. Like I said, you get what you pay for. In your case, you get a desperate broke fool with no self-respect and nothing to lose.

Your so-called “high bidder” is a myth. If his prices are that unreasonably high, he will not work at all. It is called capitalism. Capitalism is why Dennis can put a flat-lock copper roof on a carport. Supply and demand. Chances are, your so-called high bidder knows he has a proven track record while the whole industry is in the crapper because of low bidders.

s&g may be a little hard on the mexicans 123,
but thats no reason to go at him with the neighbor deal.
i enjoy givin advise and helpin the every day people.
both of ya probably got a nice car and truck.
both of your perspectives are helpfull.

peace-out

gweedo.

Oh Boy, people like mr.123 get what they deserve. a low baller that will install a short term room or they pay the A-hole factor every time. if I do an estimate for someone and they strike me as a pompous jerk the price is going to go up 20 or 30% just for anticipated agravation. one time I just got back in my truck and left. a profecional Roofer certainly does more for society than any lawyer and some doctors. they need to remember to hold there head high.
Happy Roofing All

RooferJim

Massachusetts

www.jbennetteroofing.com

[quote=“Severance & Gallant R”]
Your so-called “high bidder” is a myth. If his prices are that unreasonably high, he will not work at all. It is called capitalism. Capitalism is why Dennis can put a flat-lock copper roof on a carport. Supply and demand. Chances are, your so-called high bidder knows he has a proven track record while the whole industry is in the crapper because of low bidders.[/quote]

If you read my posts, I have repeately said that fair estimates are the key and that both HIGH and low bids are the danger sings.

HIGH BIDDERS will often invoke scare tactics on the consumer in order to justify their high bids.

Many a times I have personally witnessed HIGH BIDDERS living a life style which prompts me to note that the HIGH bids are not for better service or products, but to upkeep their lavish life styles and to line their own pockets.

Many a times I have witnessed how these guys once the contract is signed, you never see them again and the ACTUAL people doing the work are NOT in sync with the life style I saw before (cheap labor force, etc). These HIGH bidders are gifted at putting on a wonderful show with smoke and mirrors, making the consumer feel that the end of the world as we know it come to a complete stop, unless of course, you sign on the dotted line.

Yes, hostility towards me here is obvious because I am one of the few who is willing to point out that, the King is in fact, naked. The HIGH bidders will take offense while other readers who never post will see the light, or at least, by the very nature of the attacks, will see that there is something wrong and make them think.

You have every right to bid HIGH for whatever reason you happen to pull out of the air, the same way that the consumer can see through you and call you on it and send you on you merry way. It’s called Capitalism - Welcome to the real world.

Screw it, everyone just go with the unisured lowballers, like joe123 did. Dont call the real roofers when it leaks though.

I’m about where you are Aaron.

yall must have been mean to 123 before i got here.
how come he gets blue ink?
i want my own color!

gweedo.

The contractor who I finaly selected was insured. I am not saying otherwise and you have assumed and continue to assume.

As do you?

[quote=“gweedo”]yall must have been mean to 123 before i got here.
how come he gets blue ink?
i want my own color!

gweedo.[/quote]

Quick, get your own color before someone claims it.

Aaronb already got his favorite color picked out ~VIOLET~.

*If you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

No, I do not, understand, joe. Please explain.

I have stayed somewhat out of the roofing end this year so far. Have been doing lots of repair/maintenance work as the dollars and profits have been better but am going back into roofing, window replacements and other work the last half of the year. But we have seen a lot of the laborers go down south with the slowdown in homebuilkding here in Oregon. But since I market to a niche market-I do not have to always compete directly against them and their crooked contractor employers. I have nothing against immigrant labor but instead can not stand the contractors who use and I do mean use (EXPLOIT) them.

In my area,P.A.,there is a company that had a couple van loads from Newark N.J.As the new const. boomed the vans flocked in 26 every morning…50 builders were throughing up 100+ poppers a year! For about 10 yrs this went on…His prices were High for new const…They bought tractor trailer loads of shingles,and supplied all materials…As time went on the illegals wised up to the fact that the whore builders only required Liability ins. and they got connected w/co.s that would supply the ins. and approached the builders directly. The whore builders said We will supply the materials,and you get shingle sq. price only…No extra for I&W or vent,flashings,etc. They went back and forth and round and round low ballin each other till it was not worth it for any legit roofer to do new const. Now that the boom has ended, and the whore builders have taken their Millions and retired, and the Illegals have flocked into old work,and washing dishes or landscaping,etc. This original co. is SO deep in debt. from living in lavish lifestyles that they had grown into from the exploitation of illegal workers that are no longer in demand,and the prices are so low now that they cannot make it if they had 50 builders …Now there are maybe 20 builders putting up maybe 20 a yr. And allot of guys out of work…
I also have to mention that all the people who complain that the illegals are taking all the work…If Americans worked 1/2 as hard…they would not have the chance to take the work from us! The only way to be competitive in my area is to Bid High , and do all the work myself! I have no Mercades, but I do have 5 kids to feed! That is my drive, and My workmanship is second to None! The fact is that people don’t quibble about the price , cause I build the value of using High quality materials, and High quality workmanship! There are so many roofs falling apart in my area from high nailing hacks,that people don’t have to take my word for it , they can see for themselves!

Local const. co. in P.A. stiffs 4 Brazilian framing crews for more than $200,000.00 I crew Knocked out the owner when he told him to get out of his office,and sue him!! When he came too, his pockets were turned inside out,and the office was trashed…These guys are illegal,but that doesn’t give him the right to stiff em…I would be in fear for my life if it were me! Also would not be surprised to see the front page say Local builder murdered, NO LEADS to date!