I Want to offer Metal Roofing but.... don’t know it

I own a small roofing business in Texas. The only service I offer is residential shingle roofing. But I want to get into metal. I have no idea about anything of that business. I don’t know how much I should pay subs, how much to charge per square, types of materials. Nothing. Can anyone tell me if this is a business that can be started without knowing anything and where can I learn. I’d like to learn from scratch so I can offer a good service. I’m pretty sure there are roofing owners out there starting business like this with no prior experience in metal. Any tips ?

NO business can be started without knowing anything about it. Metal is a totally different animal and there is no ‘price per square’ formula. Two good roofers could install 20 square in a day on a straight gable. Add 4 skylights and 100’ hip and valley and now it’s 3 days. A comp or tile roof that would only add maybe 1/2 day extra. Learn as much as possible about installation yourself before you entrust your reputation to a subcontractor. AFTER that do the cleanest work possible and charge top dollar. Typical 6-12 simple new construction we start about $750-800 per square for 24 gauge.

3 Likes

Key to metal is to not use subs. If you do not know how to correctly execute metal Details yourself, there is no way for you to tell if a sub is doing it correctly. Unlike bad shingle Or flat work metal is much harder, sometimes impossible to fix without complete tear off. In metal it is truly all in the details.

3 Likes

Find a common/metal manufacturer in your area that you want to install. Learn eveything about it. Most have manuals online. Watch videos online. That manufacturer probably offers a class on their product. Learn how to install it yourself the right way before asking others to do it for you. Most metals roofs are installed the same, the difference is in the details. Just have to find out how the manufacturer that you are using installs the details.

1 Like

What area of the us do you work with in

Some areas there is not much of a market for metal roofing because asphalt is so less expensive

1 Like

Don’t try to learn as you go … possibly at your Customer’s expense. Go to a local metal focused supplier. Ask them who their 2 best crews are. Hire them for a couple of metal jobs to learn the skills. You never know, they’re may be a friendly contractor in the area willing to teach you on one of their jobs. Regardless, learn, then do.

2 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it

1 Like