Hurrican Ike / high winds into my area question

OK, so here’s a question that you probably hadn’t considered hearing from me:

I’m scheduled to do a roof on Thursday (tomorrow). The shingles have been ready & loaded rooftop since last Tuesday.

I’m following (closely) the wind tracking moreso than the rain & if we have 50 mph winds into this area come Saturday, a Thursday installation won’t have enough time under it’s belt to prevent any wind blowoff.

If these newly installed shingles haven’t had a proper opportunity to heat up & seal (I wouldn’t feel fully confident until @ least 2 weeks had passed, but I have no idea what the GAF guidelines suggest), then I don’t want to be responsible for any blowoff. Another option is to remove all the product from the rooftop, then re-load it after the storm & do the installation… however this is an expense & I guess I am hoping to not have to eat this added labor charge. It’s an insurance job & I am guessing the insurer won’t want to pay this ‘unload / reload’ labor charge.

I suppose I could go with a 6 or even 8 nail pattern, but this still doesn’t address my uplift from ‘no stick’ issue.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

When do you Know you will be done with the job if you start as scheduled?
You do what you say, right?

Not hoping and wishing when you
are going to get it done…

When do you KNOW it will be done?

This is a one day job. ~ 58 squares, easily walkable for 50%, moderately walkable for the other 1/2.

Hip roof for 90% of the structure. … iwloc=addr

(swimming pool in the neighbor to the North, driveway of my customer lines up with the dividing back yard fence across the street).

You are in texas in the middle of the scorching heat.
Those shingles are going to be burned down now. Tommorrow! Before you even leave the job.

Your homeowner is going to be so happy with you!

You need to be free to be able to deal with the new leads that are coming on monday.

Your going to get fresh leads tommorrow and friday also.

I didnt break out my measuring tape or anything,
but just by the picture, It looks like the house is smaller than that. Could be 10sq over. just a guess.
I am curious what it turns out to be.
I am usually around 2 sq over.
I’ll give a couple of bundles to the homeowner and bring the rest back or save them for starter.

Anything less is just way too close.

Nothing is worse than having to ride back and forth to the supplier multiple times.
(I try to keep it down to 2 to 3 trips per job. LOL)


I live in Pa. If it is 80 degrees my shingles are sealed befor we go home.

2 sunny days in January and they are sealed.

Roof lover, I’m not sure what you are responding to in your “trips to the supplier”, but I am pretty sure it’s not that relevant to my question.

Another issue is how the roof fares through the storm. Not everyone likes to pay a deductible & if they DO get whacked by this one, that’s two 1% deductibles inside of 4 months.

The latest models are projecting that we might still have a cat 2 hurricane into Austin (if it follows the direct path they are suggesting):

Is the 3 day track (projection), updated 4p CST today, from NOAA.

Is the 5 day forecast (projection) map, updated 4p CST today, from Weather Underground ( They have been pretty accurate in the last few hurricane seasons.

By the last map, it’s looking like we should still have sustained winds of around 96 - 110 mph well into our area.

By the way, 3 of the 5 tracks they are showing are suggesting up to a 20 foot storm surge (water) in the Houston area. If you’re into mold remediation, you may want to consider doing your winter in H-town.

unless the eye itself hits the house i dont think the bundles will go anywhere.


Please allow a Florida salesman to weigh in here.

A few years ago, the crew finished installing a 40 square gaf 30 yr., similar pitch, hip roof. This install was located on south Boca Grande, Florida.(For those that don’t know Boca it is a super rich people only, barrier island) 48 hours later the eye wall of a cat 4 hurricane Charley ripped just south of said install. After the storm this was the first place I went. There was no blow off what-so ever.

Furthermore, is the roof you speak of dried in with felt? If so I think the shingles would survive the storm more than felt, despite the recent installation.

BTW, gweedo you have a PM regarding some local work.


James, it’s a re-roofing job & we’ll have it fully felted in. As of right now, I am leaning towards an installation.

I was wrong on the “1% deductible” situation; they only have a $ 500.00 deductible & I think we could find a way to satisfy their concerns if this were to occur.

Also, for those who don’t know (& I’ll save you a trip to Google maps), Boca Grande is about 100 miles South of Tampa.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Roof lover, I’m not sure what you are responding to in your “trips to the supplier”, but I am pretty sure it’s not that relevant to my question.

After i answered your question precisely in one post…
I made another post commenting about the picture you posted.

You say you will be done tommorrow.
In your climate, i believe that will be plenty of time to withstand the winds that are coming your way.
Yes, i am aware of what is about to happen there.
You are about to have some work.
You might not have power for a week.
It’s going to be so hot tommorrow, you will be lucky if you don’t scar the shingles all up.
Your shingles are going to be tornado proof 5 minutes after you lay them.

The one thing you are doing which i completely disagree with is you had the roof loaded before the roof got started. That is wasting precious hours and the mens backs. Especially the mens backs.
I always have at least the top ridge torn off (3 feet on each side) and dried back in before i have the shingles roof-top delivered.

I didn’t say these things for a "gotcha"
and i hope you don’t take it that way.
I said it in hopes that many will read it and they will get their roofs done much quicker, more watertight through the day and some backs can be saved.
(my back kinda hurts right now.)


When buying from a wholesaler / specialty (i.e. roofing only) supply house, here in Texas this is the ONLY way we get our products roof delivered. The shingles have been sitting there waiting on me (us) for a week now.

In the case of this customer, I’m attempting to err on the side of caution.


Like Rooflover, our shingles are delivered when we start the roof. We never load the shingles on the old shingles. That is a waste of a mans back. Moving shingles twice.

If you let an open bundle set for 5 minutes you will not even get the shingles seperated to install.

I have to agree w/ Rooflover,and Lefty…Shingles should seal upon nailing…Nail 6 on the line,and you will be fine.Unless it is out of my control(which is not to often) like I have to load before a holiday weekend and the supplier will not be open when I am ready…I always strip 3’,(cut)vent ridge,re-nail deck,dry in,and load ridge myself…This is not a good idea if you have to load that far in advance though…I have heard some mention of suppliers that actually load the roof for you,if this is the case then I understand…also if you have allot of guys that are tearing through the work faster than the shingles can be delivered,then it is not a waste of time …It costs more to pay guys to stand around waiting for a truck,then to pay them to move shingles off the ridge when that time comes…

its just a matter of how busy people are.
around me alot of roofs get sold and its a way of keeping people from backing out of deal.

there are roofers that dont mind movin twice so as to have everything there before you start.

alot of companys get a roof done so fast that you cant
get shingles delivered at the exact moment you need them , so the shingles have to be on the roof before they start.

different strokes for different folks.


[quote=“jwoolfsroofing”]I have heard some mention of suppliers that actually load the roof for youquote]

Jwoolf, That is the ONLY way to do it.
I have about 7 roofing supply places in our city and each of them have a fleet of boom trucks and a crane.

I tell them the exact hour that i want them to be there.
If they are consistantly late, i drop them.
I have one supplier that is a dollar a square more than others but when i ask for a 10am delivery, you better be ready by 9:30. I love those guys.

At 6am the day of the job, i go to the supplier and pick up the underlayment, simplex, evedrip and cement.
Then they put the shingles and other material on the roof after i have had a chance to tear off and
dry-in at least the ridge.[/quote]

How is your area holding out Mark?

Chris, the Administrator over at the NRG Roofing Forums is in Houston and said it looks like it is heading right for him.

He now has his “Hurricane Cam”, set up in his window to view the storm real time, Live.


Ed, we put the roof on yesterday. Working @ 0730, complete by 1830.

I’m comfortable with the seal, especially because the max gusting is expected to top out @ 40 mph with sustained around 25.

Houston is gonna get the shit beat out of them & by 2000 on Saturday, Galveston is gonna look like Chernobyl…

The flood surge is expected to top out between 20 - 25 feet & this is going to rip everything apart.

Unless you’ve actually stood, in person, in a hurricane whacked area, photos on the TV or a print version just don’t do it justice. You just don’t get the full feeling of how crazy bad it is.

You hear terms like “war zone” all the time, but it really is the correct terminology.

I was in the Key West for a Cat 1 and the wave surges and the destruction it did to the House Boat row section was stunning.

They pick up and just keep on just keep on going on down there.

One guy got his head smashed like a watermelon between a boat he was securing and the pier.

I was doing a time share tour to get my free $ 100.00 cash gift at the time. Shortest time share pitch i ever heard about, when all of the tables and chairs were blowing away. I still got the cash though.