How Long Does It Take Generally For Architectural Shingles to Seal?

I’ve read the Atlas shingle warranty from top to bottom and the one point that gives me pause is this:

SEALANT FEATURE: In order to activate the sealant feature, the shingles must be exposed to direct sunlight for a continued period of time for the shingles to seal. Shingles installed in fall or winter and not exposed to adequatesurface temperatures, or other conditions, which temporarily or permanently preclude activation of the sealant, may never seal and must be hand sealed at the time of installation. It is not a manufacturing defect if shingles fail to seal under the above circumstances, and Atlas will not be responsible for repair, replacement, or hand sealing shingles under these circumstances.

I assume this happens to all similarly made shingle brands? I also read that installation should be avoided with temperatures below 50F but that the shingles need to be warmed by radiant heat from the sun to about 70F to effectively seal. The question is, how long typically does it take for shingles to seal when temps are generally above 70 degrees? I’ve read that they can be hand sealed, but of course at an added cost. We’ll continue to have temps above 70 for several weeks I suspect but I’m not sure if that’s long enough? I haven’t the slightest clue.

Thanks

Nail the dog shit out of them and quit worrying

1 Like

Here in PA we shingle year round. I have never had a call back issue from shingles not sealing.

I would only be concerned if it is extremely cold for an extended period of time and your home is in an unusually high wind area such as lake or ocean front.

Honestly reading a shingle warranty is about equal to reading a license agreement when installing software. It all comes down to quality workmanship.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s an excellent point and the common denominator I’ve seen in most of these posts. It’s all comes down to quality workmanship.

1 Like

I hear ya Tileman. However, when it’s $19-$21K out of pocket that can’t be recovered, I probably shouldn’t drive on by as if I didn’t see that, :rofl:. Then again, my guess is that getting most shingle companies to actually follow through on their warranty on most issues would be like pulling teeth. I’m also guessing that most people don’t bother with the fine print. :laughing:

The only times I’ve seen shingles not seal after a winter install has been on very dusty new construction sites.

Don’t forget IKO. They won’t seal in July. Yes I have lots of evidence. And by the way, per their warranty, they will pay you $10 per square to hand seal. Anyone up for that?

1 Like

I was talking about shingles not landfill

1 Like

In my area the IKOs don’t seem to have any issues with sealing these days, the Tamkos are another story though.

The shingles will seal once hit with direct sun for about 20 min.

IKO shingles are about the same as TAMKO or GAF quality wise.

IKO gets maligned a lot because their organic 3-tabs were a little worse than everybody else’s at the time.

Nowadays IKO is just as good as any of the other 2nd tier manufacturers.

1 Like

You must have different IKO than we do Axiom. I am going back on a large building today that was installed 5 years ago, in summer, and never sealed. Luckily we have never used them on our jobs and I just get to reroof all their problem jobs. This is the 3rd one this year.

The last time I installed an IKO shingle was about 2 yrs ago, it seemed to be a bit better than they used to be.

These shingles were usually high nailed so many of them just blew off, they never did seal real good like some of the others.

I did a couple Timberline HD jobs this year and they were much better than I remember them to be, I thought the first time was an anomaly.

They still are pretty thin and there was color matching issues so if it isn’t one thing it’s another.

Every brand is kinda crap now and then. I actually don’t hate Iko,they just don’t seal as well as other brands. Sometimes anyway,now and then they seem to stick as well as anything else.

Only good thing about timberline is they save strain on your back. Still can’t figure out wht the starters are so narrow. They feel like 30# with granuals on them.

1 Like

I cut the starters out of the shingles.

Wow, I didn’t know that. I’m glad I got my roof in the dead of summer.

Regarding sealant yes but there are also drawbacks to having it done dead of summer. If you don’t have a conscientious crew they will scrape 10 years of life off of your shingles with their feet. Check around walls, skylights and the like,(areas that require a roofer to stay in one place longer) and see if it is scarred up. A brand new shingle loses a lot of potential life if handled improperly in the heat.

Tileman, is there an optimal time of year (assuming a replacement isn’t needed promptly)?

I would always choose spring with 70 degree days.