How do we go about getting insurance jobs?

We have been in business for two decades doing all types of construction.
Looking to make a change into just contracting roofing.
We have always done roofs but only as part of a bigger remodel or on a stand alone sale for a reroof.
We have never worked with an insurance company ever.
We have done some research into the process, it seems that there are two schools of thought; the first is that once it is determined that there is damage the contractor either has the home owner file a claim or does it for them and then waits for the adjuster to show up, meets the adjuster and lets them pretty much write up a scope of work and the contractor goes off that.
The other school seems to be of the theory that they will have the homeowner file a claim or will do it for them and meet the adjuster as well but will write up their own scope of loss using exactimate and present it to the insurance company to compete with the adjusters?
Any thoughts?
Looking for some insight.
Thanks

I find what works best for me and saves me the most time with not having to do future supplements is to go out and inspect the property and if there is storm damage I tell the customer to file the claim and let their insurance company know that they contacted a legitimate, local roofing contractor who suggested that storm damage was present.

I then write a detailed proposal for the customer (before the adjuster comes out) and I have the customer sign and date the proposal (I do put on the proposal that customer acceptance is based upon approval from insurance company). I don’t want the customer to feel as though they are locked in with the contract no matter the outcome.

Our company does not use Xactimate to work up our pricing as we are mostly a company that does retail work (75-80%). With that being said our pricing gets approved by the insurance company 99% of the time because they are given a detailed, line item by line item, signed contract up front that is within the parameters of Xactimate pricing +- 10% on any given job.

I meet the adjuster on some (The no doubters) and some (The questionable 50/50 ones as my time is valuable) I don’t meet with the adjuster and just let them do their job, but I always suggest to the customer that they give a signed copy of our contract to the adjuster.

Even though I stated we are a mostly retail company, I have 30 years of experience in the roofing industry and have worked with customers/insurance companies on hundreds of claims. I have learned a lot about insurance claims over the years and feel that I am pretty proficient now vs. when I was a youngin’.

Lastly, you need to educate yourself on what line items should be included on every claim and the prices for said line items so when you have to supplement you feel confident in doing so.

You never file the claim. Only the policy holder should file the claim. We inspect the roof first to verify there is damage. We take lots of photos. We prepare our estimate using Xactimate and go to adjuster meeting. Use Hover for roof report.

1 Like