HELP ! Water dripping from soffit

Caulking won’t work on Roofs because Roofs have far more movement than do doors or windows with temperature extremes.

Keep an eye on the inside of the roof rafters now.

If you managed to “move” the leak by slipping in a piece of metal, you now have to question why that roof isn’t shedding the water correctly.

I smell poor installation there.
The siding detail is a dead giveaway.
It itself is done improperly.

What you just described to me personally is a mess. There shouldn’t be any water coming in under your valley. Even if you had driving winds and blowing rain, nothing should be getting in that space at the end of the valley.

Just because you see the water ending up somewhere, it doesn’t mean that you can pinpoint it’s leak unless you see where it’s coming in.

You could have a leak coming in at one part of the roof and it could end up 15’ away from where it’s infiltrating and on top of that, be 5’-10’ to the left or right of where the leak is.

There are so many variables.

I’m telling you, that siding detail and valley detail is wrong. There is only one way to rectify it and that’s to tear it out and have it done right.

If it was right, there’d be no leak now, would there?

Rule #1 on repairing roofs…start with the obvious.

here ya go, to me it looks like a normal addition roofline valley that I have seen on many houses. The addition has been on for 25 years !

It was never a problem until I put the white diverter on. If I removed it the water would probably go back the way it was but I like having it there again to direct all water into the gutter. The gutter ends short of the house so a little water used to drip off where there is no gutter.

Remember the roof is NOT leaking and not damaged it is just a few drips getting behind my pc directed into the fachia bend

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … ofline.jpg

[quote=“cvcman”]now that I think of it there is NO siding anywhere near the upper or lower roof

I will post another pic from further away[/quote]

Like I said, pictures from a distance where one could get a wide view of the area would help a ton.

:slight_smile:

I am not sure the siding detail you re talking about there is NO siding anywhere near this ???

When you have a valley where 2 roofs meet and one is lower than the other how do you seal it to the roof back up under the end of the valley ??

It seems there would always be an area way up under that if you directed water into it could leak ??

Again the rafters are dry, decking is dry and I CAN see where it is being directed into the fashia bend where the fashia from the uper roof ends at the lower roof

I think you are misunderstanding what I am seeing There is no water coming under the valley, I put the pc of metal up so any water that came down the lower roof and would want to go under the upper roof overhang ( note the upper roof extends out over the lower roof ) would be directed into the gutter.

It sure doesn’t look like a mess to me but hey what do I know…

[quote=“cvcman”]here ya go, to me it looks like a normal addition roofline valley that I have seen on many houses. The addition has been on for 25 years !

It was never a problem until I put the white diverter on. If I removed it the water would probably go back the way it was but I like having it there again to direct all water into the gutter. The gutter ends short of the house so a little water used to drip off where there is no gutter.

Remember the roof is NOT leaking and not damaged it is just a few drips getting behind my pc directed into the fachia bend

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … ofline.jpg[/quote]

That’s what I’m talking about…now, that tie in to the roof?

Badddddddd!

I could just see all that water coming in from the left side roof and colliding with that leader (downspout) and there being a dam effect forcing water back up that siding piece right next to the valley.

Definately a bad tie in there. I’d rip all that out, Ice & Water Shield the valley and eave and under the siding, then install new step flashing.

That addition’s eave should’ve been installed level with the existing eave (not 2’ up). Also, the gutter is probably dumping way too much water for that corner to handle when you add up all the square footage it has to alleviate.

Plus, the gutter facing the picture? Way too low.
It should be up higher, closer to the drip edging.

If those aren’t leftover Christmass lights, it looks like you have some sort of electrical warming device?
A de-icer? Do you have ice damming problems there?

I posted a distance pic a few posts u from this here it is again

i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318 … ofline.jpg

[quote=“cvcman”]I think you are misunderstanding what I am seeing There is no water coming under the valley, I put the pc of metal up so any water that came down the lower roof and would want to go under the upper roof overhang ( note the upper roof extends out over the lower roof ) would be directed into the gutter.

It sure doesn’t look like a mess to me but hey what do I know…[/quote]

LOL!

CV,

It’s a nightmare to me! :slight_smile:

You probably can’t envision what’s going on there with the different types of weather you might get (light rain, driving rain, etc…).

And unless you can pinpoint the leak, you can’t know that it’s “not” coming in from under the valley. I see at least 5 places where it could be coming in.

Mind you, I’ve been going up on Roofs since I was 5 years old and have been Roofing Professionally since I was 14. I’m 39 now.

And it could be me, but it also looks like the right side gutter is pitched in the wrong direction (unless, the eave course is out of level and this happens to be an illusion).

hummm well it is all ice and water shielded 6 ft up plus across the valley 6 ft up and 90 pound too. It amy not be the way you would do it but should I really rip it all out if its not leaking ???

This seems pretty extreme it is tight. The wire was up there before I insulated the addition and added the ridge vent and soffit venting. It is facing the South so i do get alot of winter sun.

I still dont see where the siding has a thing to do with anything ??? All the siding is below all the roofs.

The gutters perform just fine too ??

I am really curious as th what siding you are talking about where water could be forced up the siding ??

Water never gets near the siding

One last time I DO see where it is coming into the plastic soffit and its where the upper roof drip edge meets the lower roof.

The gutter drains perfect it must be an illusion.

The roof is NOT leaking and everything is dry under the soffit

I am still confused why the siding has anything to do with it ???

also the main house roof is the higher of the 2 the lower roof is the addition.

I am super confused now and in 21 years it has never leaked even before the new roof was done. Then they ran ice and water 6 ft up on the house and addition, 6 ft across the valley 6 ft up and 90 pound and now I should rip it out ???

The siding you see in the pic is red and it is below the freeze board which is 3 ft under the overhang…

LOL!

Think not?

What, do you think that when it rains, your siding never gets wet?
Like the water just falls down vertically?

LOL!

See that? Improper installation. That’s what I’ve been telling you all along. I didn’t even know that it didn’t start leaking until “after” you had it re-roofed.

Every Roofer here will tell you that Ice & Water Shield is not a waterproofer, but a back up system.

I don’t know ANY Roofers who are still using 90lb material.

Technically speaking, we could lay roofs “without” Ice & Water Shield and even without felt and stil keep that roof waterproof for the life fo the shingles.

:slight_smile:

If you go back and read my posts, you’ll see that I’ve been driving at this the whole thread…poor installation. What you can’t see is obvious to me.

It’s a leaker,call a pro

7 syllables of wisdom.

Ok again there is NO LEAK,lol the white pc is the diverter that I put up there so water would not trickle on the lower roof back toward the house. My siding never gets wet ALL the siding on my house is red.

Now that being said I never noticed the DRIP not LEAK until I put the diverter up and the reason is and I CAN see it is that I didn’t shove the diverter up under the valey pocket so now when it is just dripping off the valley edge it can drip BEHIND my diverter.

The ice and water may be over kill but in the 10 yrs the roof has been on nothing has leaked, even when the old roof was on with open valley and NO I and W it never leaked. The decking is dry.

It may be the way I explained it but the ONLY problem is when water barley drips off the end of the valley it gets behind my diverter because I didnt shove it up under the valley far enough, and this lets the water run down the face of the plastic soffit on the upper roof and drip off where the upper soffit hits the freeze board.

As for the gutters, again they work great and drain completely and rain seems to hit into them in all kinds of heavy rain.

Sure hope that its really not nessasary to rip off the shingles and all that ice and water only to re-do the ice and water, again I have had the whole soffit off and the decking is dry and nice ! Never a leak !

Again the new roof was done 10 yrs ago tear off and it never leaked even before with the old roof. Dont confuse a drip coming off the soffit with a leak please :wink:

Thanks

Drip,leak same thing in my books.Waters infiltrating the system somewhere,so its a leaky drip!!

I give up,lol I see clearly that the water is dripping off the valley edge getting behind the diverter I put up and running down the fashia edge to the freeze board.

Nothing is getting under the roofing or the ice and water and nothing is getting inside or touching the decking,nothing.

To rip out the shingles up to the valley and just put down new ice and water over the already 6 ft high ice and water seems silly, why would I do that NOTHING is coming in under the roofing.

The whole perimeter of the hosue is Ice and Water as is the valley it should last 10 yrs right ??

Also the valley is ice and watered cross wise 6 ft across and 6 ft up why disturb this …

[quote]cvcman

To rip out the shingles up to the valley and just put down new ice and water over the already 6 ft high ice and water seems silly, why would I do that NOTHING is coming in under the roofing.[/quote]

If you knew what you were saying, you’d understand why we don’t trust your roof installation. Besides me pointing out the obvious (like the gutter installs and the eave of the extension being built up to high “into” the existing structure, no real roofer installs Ice & Water Shield 6’ on either side of the valley.

I&W is installed in the center of the valley. That would leave about 1 1/2’ on either side. For there to be 3’ on either side would mean that whoever installed it installed it from the center of the valley out leaving a seam in the center of the gutter.

That depends on the material and the installation and the installers.

You did say these guys used 90lb paper right?

For what?

We don’t use 90lb anymore.

Why? Because 6’ is wrong. That’s why.

Is that valley only 6’ long?

If it’s not, then that’s wrong too because the I&W should go up and over the valley from top to bottom.

And again, based on the pictures you supplied us regarding where the leaks are, the siding/fascia/cladding detail is 100% wrong.

And finally, you said it yourself…the roof didn’t start to leak until after you installed a new roof (with 6’ of I&W).

Do you “not” see the potential problems here?

IF you read my post, lol, I said the DRIP didn’t start until AFTER I installed the diverter, not after the roof was installed, the roof has been on for 10 years, the drip started 3 days ago after I put the diverter up !

And the roof is NOT leaking, there is water running down the lower roof and getting behind my diverter and dripping off the upper fashia.

As for the ice and water in the valley , I also told you they ran the ice and water ACROSS the valley up 6ft.The first pc of ice and water ran up the valley the full length. Then they went across the bottom of the valley perpendicular to the first pc, why I dont know.
There is NO seam parallel in the valley. Why they put 90 pound over it when I asked they said for added strength IF someone stepped in the valley, again this was 10 yrs ago. Maybe they dont use 90 pound anymore either but they did then, does it hurt anything ?.

As for the overhang, the roofers didn’t build the addition it has been on the house for over 25 years and while it may not be the way you would have done it, it seems to have been fine for this long ??

The roofer that did this ONLY does roofs and has for many many years so maybe he did it wrong but its tight an d it has never leaked !

One last time, there is no leak only water getting behind my diverter that you call siding and dripping off the soffit/fashia.

Thanks for the help and your thoughts but I dont think I will opt to tear off a roof or valley that is sealed in tight and seems to have been doen right, sorry ! Thanks again !