Help cedar roofing and satellite measurements

Please help, we have an architectural comity that is refusing to let us install. Certainteed Presidential Shake roof. My homeowners co Farmers Ins came out to inspect leaking roof, said pitch on rear of roof is 4/12 and that they do not recommend a Cedar roof for a 4/12 pitch.

Cedar shake bureau says yes you can…

Claim denied due to wear and tear not hail and windstorm. Bombshell- Farmer insurance says they have record that my roof is only 12 years old… looks like 20 years old.

1. do you recommend Cedar roof on a 4/12 Pitch

2. Satellite systems are incorrect on my house they have me at a 6/12 pitch, manual measurements are 4/12 , Is it uncommon for satellite measurement to be wrong?

The cedar bureau is the ultimate authority. If installed correctly following all the cedar bureau guidelines, 4 pitch should be fine.

Aerial measurements for pitch are often missed, especially for shake roofs. The aerial is measuring the pitch of the shakes, not the decking.

It also sounds like you did not maintain your cedar shake roof. My recommendation if you replace the shake is to go back only with premium grade a cedar, the best cedar shake available. You also need to have routine maintenance to seal the shakes once every five years or so. Failure to do so will dramatically decrease the life of the shakes.

My better recommendation is to spend a little more money upfront and install Brava Shake which is a synthetic composite. We’ve replaced a number of cedar shake roofs with this product and without exception, the customers were ecstatic.

I also recommend you find a competent roofing contractor locally who has experience with insurance work and cedar shakes. If the shakes are storm damaged, the age or condition have absolutely nothing to do with having the roof replacement approved. Of course, the insurance will tell you that crap because they don’t want to pay what they owe.

Why would I want a product that lasts only 10-15 years and required maintenance when I can install premium grade 50 year warranty fiberglass shingles that look like cedar shake. for $50,000

I need 58.8 square of roofing material. Brava shake would cost about $100,000

You are obviously a sales person…

Why did you come here with questions when you have all the answers? I am not a sales person, I own a general contracting company with permanent offices in three states. We’ve been in business more than ten years. But what do I know compared to a genius like you? If a quality cedar shake is installed and maintained properly, it can last 30 to 50 years. A negligent know it all will get 10 to 15.

Good luck with your thousand dollar per square Presidential roof.

1 Like

the cedar bureau are crooks https://www.classaction.org/media/liebo-v-cedar-shake-and-shingle-bureau-et-al.pdf

Can you upload a picture?

Evelene, you haven’t been in the cedar shake business and, had you been, you would have seen the total fiasco of the shake/shingle industry before the cedar bureau got involved. They aren’t angels, but certainly no worse than the companies that make other residential roofing products. Their application manual is generally the trusted authority when using shakes or shingles.

Donl, I believe what you are stating, but there has to be confidence in the cedar contractors that have stated that they do not recommend Cedar roofing material for my roof, 4 cedar contractors and one Roofing inspector have measured my pitch at 4/12… And do not recommend cedar. A bureau should be a guide, not a bible. I have called and spoke to the Midwest Cedar Bureau representative, honestly… very frustrating… he has not seen my roof or pitch… and stated they are wrong.

Donl, I believe what you are stating, but there has to be confidence in the cedar contractors that have stated that they do not recommend Cedar roofing material for my roof, 4 cedar contractors and one Roofing inspector have measured my pitch at 4/12… And do not recommend cedar. A bureau should be a guide, not a bible. I have called and spoke to the Midwest Cedar Bureau representative, honestly… very frustrating… he has not seen my roof or pitch… and stated they are wrong.

Can cedar be put on a 4/12, yes, I would use 24" treated shakes with 7 1/2 or smaller exposure and quality split felt. Would I install a 4/12 cedar roof on my house…NO.

When we have a cedar roof with a problematic lower slope cedar section we normally convert it to standing seam and put cedar back on the rest of the house.

1 Like

Asphalt shingles have had many failures and class action law suits also. I wouldn’t expect many shingles to last 50 years (or manufacturers to honor the warranty).

3 Likes

The only roof proven last 50+ years on a 4/12 is mechanically double locked standing seam. It’s not just cedar, we run into issues with slate and tile on lower pitched sections all the time.

1 Like