Has anyone tried grizzly ridge vent gun?

hello, as title says , i ve been using 1 3/4" nails for ridge vent with some success on walkable pitches and 3tab caps,gaf timbertex needs hand nailing so fuck them ,driving about 2-3 nails per side to make sure i penetrate single nail on each side deep enough.It is kinda sketchy but been working so far.
looking for options and beside handnailing i found this guy Grizzly H8231 .
sounds very strong with 2 3/4 coil nails going all the way thru.
am i missing something or you guys have secrets to share how to go around on steep roofs with ridgevents.
no cobra,always rigid plastic garbage.

I didn’t know a roofing nailer existed that’s capable of using nails bigger than 1 3/4. Thanks for that info. I will disagree about plastic ridge vent being garbage though. They are far superior performance wise to the roll brillo pad type.

1 Like

i mean installation wise,they are garbage to align on long runs and dont bend past 8/12 when its below 40, crack very easily .
but performance must be much better than mesh.
still both are garbage.single power vent on hip ridge or bunch of turtles on gable dormer ensembles.

Hopefully your power vent has a humidistat so it operates in the wintertime. Many people install them in place of passive ventilation and basically go unvented all winter. I do agree that 9” ridge vent doesn’t work well on steep but 11” seems to do fine.

Just hand nail them,it doesn’t take much time and ensures you wont have issues regarding the nailing.

3 Likes

You mean like pick up a hammer? Blasphemy!! Hammers are for Neanderthals!

1 Like

I had a guy that liked to use a palm nailer to nail the ridgevent, he seemed to do it at least as fast as by hand so I didn’t care.

1 Like

i understand where yall coming from.but i will buy and get back with results :smiley:

Owens cornings sure vent ridge vent
Has a tab that interlocks with the next one.
This keeps them Going straight.
And because the tab is in the very center
it is easy to line the tab with the center of the truss/center/opening
No ones else has this.

I feel i am very successful installing this vent with no lines and keeping it straight.
It also just happens to look the best on a roof
Because it is a stiff/ heavy duty piece of material. So no dips or waves.

1 Like

I use a framing or siding nailer with 2 3/8 8p nails. Works great on high profile ridge cap which has multiple layers to hold to. Never had an issue. Probably not a great option with a single ply ridge cap because of the smaller heads.

You should stop doing that.

“I use a framing or siding nailer with 2 3/8 8p nails. Works great on high profile ridge cap which has multiple layers to hold to. Never had an issue. Probably not a great option with a single ply ridge cap because of the smaller heads.”

2 Likes

The vent I generally use is the Lomanco Omni Ridge which is about an inch thick. Instructions don’t say what fasteners to use for caps, but say to penetrate wood by 3/4 of an inch. I dont think that is possible with 1-3/4 nails.

I agree, it’s not perfect, but I would put my method above using 1-3/4 roofing nails which the majority would only be holding caps to the plastic when using high profile ridge.

Grizzly and hand nailing would be the best, but the framing nails (galvanized, ring shank) are kind of a standard in my region and seem sufficient to hold down the high profile ridge like OC Deco ridge. I would definitely not use on a single ply ridge like shadow or 3-tab.

It’s intended to be hand nailed with 2 1/2" or better roofing nails.

2 Likes

Says right on the website,installed with a hammer. They should be more specific that 2.5" roofing nails are required.