Glueing shingles to a patio panel roof

I have encountered a situation on numerous occasions in one particular subdivision where the homeowner has had a sun room installed and, due to HOA aesthetic rules, has asphalt shingles installed over the top to match the rest of the roof.

There seem to be differing opinions among local roofers I know on how to reroof those areas.

When tearing off I have seen where the shingles were just glued down, glued and nailed or glued and screwed down(attached pic).

Would an ice and water barrier and then nailing be an adequate way to reroof a foam panel patio type roof?

Just glue?

Any help or input is appreciated.

What is the pitch of the roof?

On most occasions the pitch is between 0/12 and 312.

The attached picture happens to be another house I’m doing where the customer had an addition put on where the builders used the foam panels and tied it into the existing roof. It is a 5/12 It was the most readily available picture I had to give an example of what we encounter.

Anything less than 3/12 that a hoa is requiring to put laminate shingles on…WALK AWAY, it is not worth the headache in 6 months or a year WHEN it leaks and you clearly ignored all manufacturers specs, at that point it’s all on you.

If it’s 3/12+ screw 1/2" plywood down, ice shield, and nail the shingles normally.

1 Like

Yes, just the glue.
Unless the past roofer already poked holes through it.

Yes the past roofer did poke holes. One roofer told me there is a special primer you roll on the metal after cleaning it of course. But what about all the holes? Trowel caulk on them before priming? Or cover roof with ice and water and then nail the shingles?

If someones already poked a bunch of holes through it,
Then i would screw some OSB into it.
Then ice and water shield
Then shingles.

3 Likes

Asphault primer first? so the roof cement sticks better when “glueing” on the shingles???. Don’t walk away from that job RUN!!!

Something similar is done here, they call it a 3 season room.

This is something that shouldn’t exist in my area yet it does.

I loose lay EPDM over them securing the perimeter with metal stripped in with cured cover strip.

On a couple of them I loose laid 1 1/2" insulation under the EPDM.

They all tied into relatively low slope shingle roofs.

As far as I know they are all working with no issues.

1 Like

MPA is right, the shingles need to be nailed to a plywood deck, not just glued to that polyisocyanurate insulation. You will need to figure out an appropriate screw length to secure the plywood to whatever is beneath that polyiso and that may be an issue if the owner does not want to see screws protruding through the ceiling.

Another solution is to use Durolast Shingle Ply. It is a PVC membrane with a shingle pattern on it. I have never used it myself but the samples look decent.

1 Like

What you are looking at is likely foam sandwhiched between 2 pcs of thin steel, there is nothing to fasten anything to.

Then the plywood will need to be bolted to the foam panels such as by using 5/16"-18 Steel Flat Elevator Bolts, 3"Long.

From an engineering standpoint, will these panels be capable of all the weight of the plywood and the shingles? The roof may begin to sag if it is just foam panels.

The HOA has gotten their homeowners in a bind with the shingle requirement.

1 Like

Hi there. I have a question. I saw this thread while searching for options. I have a vinyl sunroom and I am looking to find a way to install a roof over top. I do not have any leaks but want this for soundproofing. The room is my living room and is a 4 season sunroom wiht a vinyl roof. I dont really know what is out there for this purpose. If I nail into it, the warranty will be void. I was thinking of somehow attaching to the existing roof with lots of flashing and may be glued or floated in some manner. I am hoping someone here may have ideas or recommendations of what to ask a roofing contractor. I am in the Boston MA area

I also have a customer that wants me to sound proof one of these things…

What I was thinking of some how gluing wood strips to the roof and then thin plywood panels over the roof to nail shingles into it. My only concern with that is the roof has a very low slope and even if I flash the heck out of it by the house roof, I dont want any leaking. the other option is to glue plywood to the roof but if you use roofing nails too long, you risk damaging the existing roof.

Have the HOA sign off on the liability, if they won’t accept it then sue them. Or hire an “artist” to paint shingles on it.

2 Likes

The problem that I have had with these roofs is load. You make the roof sag when you add load to it. I do not know the load capabilities of your roof, but you should determine that before applying additional dead weight.

Glue down homasote with solvent bonding adhesive, then fully adhere a membrane to that…

1 Like

That’s a great idea Darkthirty.
I like it a lot being that it is tongue and groove.