Gaf what the heck!

What do you guys think about GAF’s new warranty program???

All shingle brands have “true protection periods”… most 30 year shingles have true protection period(TPP) of 5 years. After the TPP the labor is dropped and it starts prorating since the day of installation.

Now that GAF laminate shingles are going to a life time warranty, the TPP moved up to 10 years.

If your a GAF certified installer you can give warranties for 50 years on manufacture defects that cover all material and labor… one that even covers workmanship.

Iv read most warrantys, and GAF is the only one that i have seen that will replace a roof if the shingle is defective… period… Other manufactures will replace a roof if the shingle is defective but is valid for a claim… in other words everything must be perfect and installed to their specifications.

I thought GAF inspected every warrantied roof.

Only for their top warranty. “Golden Pledge”… and i mean damn they are strict.

I’m a GAF Master Elite so i say “Hell Ya”! I’m a great closer already, so good luck to my competion now trying to keep up with me!! 8)

we were GAF mater eliet, my number was ME00058 we got in right when they started it. I left it for several reasons the main being I dont need to sell there warranties and bells and whistles my custumers dont need. I am still certified for there commercial roofing though.

i will say from personal exp i have had no problems with certainteed. I perfer it but if it must be gaf its their house

oh great a lifetime shingle for someone who doesn’t plan on living for more than twenty years. This is just another gimmick at best , scam is more likely. However its a gimmick that will work in my area. Lifetime shingles ( that last for 20 years ) will now be the standard shingle we sell. I liked it when warrantys were 15 - 25 years , they were honest. Now i am forced to play the game . I am betting soon Certainteed & OC matches this gimmick & GAF will not have gained any market advantage. In 15 - 20 years we contractors or our sons will be left to explain why these " Lifetime" shingles only lasted 18 years

Thanks. you said it all for me

1 Like

Its all about marketing.

Why do you think Atlas Pinnacle did 35 year instead of 30 like every one else?

1 Like

[quote=“RoofingRevolution”]Its all about marketing.

Why do you think Atlas Pinnacle did 35 year instead of 30 like every one else?[/quote]

Great point. And I hate Atlas.

1 Like

One of my thoughts is
they are preparing for the next increase.
If certainteed / atlas / owens / etc. raise
10 bucks a sq., Gaf wil raise 15-20.
Justifying it with the warranty change.
Because backdating the new warranty to anything installed Jan.1st or after and all remaining 30yr. inventory at supply houses.
Sounds like an urgent move to get installers excited buying them and using them before they snap us with the increase? Just one thought on it.

It would appear that GAF has simply done the statistical analysis. The average Home changes ownership once every 7 years. From what I understand, the new GAF Lifetime Warranty allows for one transfer. So statistically speaking, a lot of homes that had the GAF product put on it, with a lifetime shingle, won’t have any warranty after 14 years.

Consider another part of it. Oil is going to go up, I don’t think there is any question about that. Being a petroleum based product, shingles will go up as well. So a Homeowner who purchased a new roof 15 years ago and has a warranty claim gets what? Say it was a 30 year warranty and they paid $35 per square for the shingles. So you get a 50% pro rated amount off the $35 per square and you end up getting $17.50 per square. So a 30 square roof gets you $525 towards a new $9,000 roof. Once people actually grasp what they’re getting, how many of those will actually go through the whole process to recover that amount? 15 years from now, shingles could very well be $150 per square or more. Same scenario.

Now add all the disclaimers, caveats, etc. in the warranty, throw in hail storms, tornadoes, etc. and what do you really have in terms of liability to GAF? Now a heckuva lot. On top of all that, consider the % of roofs that wouldn’t qualify for a warranty claim due to improper installation and/or inadequate ventilation.

GAF didn’t change or improve their product, they did the math and simply made what appears to be a reasonably intelligent marketing decision. As has been already stated, I would think the other major competitors will follow suit shortly.

1 Like

[quote=“RoofingRevolution”]
Iv read most warrantys, and GAF is the only one that i have seen that will replace a roof if the shingle is defective… period… Other manufactures will replace a roof if the shingle is defective but is valid for a claim… in other words everything must be perfect and installed to their specifications.[/quote]

I Saw owens corning replace hundreds of roofs in florida due to defects in their shingles, without a question towards workmanship.

I have had one certainteed warranty claim, and they replaced all of the defective shingles with no questions asked.

1 Like

Isn’t that basically a scam? Telling people they get a lifetime warranty knowing full well the product won’t last even close to a persons or the buildings lifetime?

[quote=“bcdemon”]

Isn’t that basically a scam? Telling people they get a lifetime warranty knowing full well the product won’t last even close to a persons or the buildings lifetime?[/quote]

In some states that are very unlikely to have hail or wind, that has the original home owner that hasn’t died, and used a GAF certified contractor who provided the system plus warranty. Those claims will be paid out at replacement cost value.

But Dad is right. They did their home work. The math shows they are making a smart marketing decision.

“Life Time” means as long as the original individual owner of a single family detached residence owns the property wheres the things were installed.

Acts of God will void the warranty. Thats what insurance is for.

Thats why I stoped the BS game of selling and explaining there warranties to my customers. I would rather sell my own company and warranty. That has a lot more merit and truth. If there is a material defect then im calling my rep and going to lean on them to do the right thing. I dont need to play games with my custumers to get jobs.

1 Like

Just checked the GAF FAQ on this thing, this was sort of funny to read:

Q:If all laminates carry a lifetime warranty, why buy Designer Lifetime shingles?

A:(Short Answer) They look better.

So for an extra $7,000 I can have a roof that “looks” better? Oh joy…

Yeah BC it sure seems they’ve undercut their premium shingles…BIG TIME

OTOH maybe they want to limit their product offering to three or four products, instead of the many multiple choices out there now.