GAF Ultimate Pipe Flashing Vs. Squirrelgard Lead Jacks

I’m getting quotes for roof replacement and I’m leaning towards GAF Timberline Ultra HD.

One contractor installs the GAF Ultimate Pipe Flashing (Lifetime Tool) and another installs lead jacks with a squirrelgard (www.squirrelgard.com).

Does anyone have experience with either or recommend one over the other?

Thanks

Go back a step. Why in the world would you install GAF? Have you held one in your hand with another shingle in the other? The contributors here are some of the most experienced roofers I have run across and I have been in the trade for almost 35 years. Look back and see their professional opinions on the product, with absolutely no dog in the fight. The only roofers who think GAF is good product, or say they do, is ones who belong to their programs. Prove me wrong.

2 Likes

I don’t give advise to people from different areas on what products to use and this is why. I’ve roofed in several different regions around the country and I can remember shingle quality varying greatly from one region to the next.

Up until recently (when they started to ship out shingles with a strip of missing granuals) I considered GAF to be the 2nd best shingle available in my area (after certainteed). However certainteed is a tough sell in my area because there failed Horizon line was wildly popular here and when it had its massive failure it left a very sour taste for many homeowners here.

1 Like

And I totally believe you if you tell me that in your area GAF has been garbage for as long as you can remember as your the person with experience from there not me. However in my area it wasn’t the case until a few years ago (around the time they became “lifetime” shingles).

When they removed the granules from the nail line is when they went totally over the edge. The shingle feels like like tissue paper now.

1 Like

I feel like all the shingles in my area have gone downhill in quality the last couple years. Its like they aren’t even trying anymore. I really wish malarky was available in my area as everyone seems to rave about them. In the meantime I’m trying more and more to push alternatives as much as I can. Standing seam if possible!

I’m getting a sense that GAF is best at marketing but their quality control has tanked. I thought the Ultra HD may be ok but it’s certainly not cheap. Thanks for the input.

2 Likes

I have rarely seen defect claims on GAF but there are a few. Owens Corning has always been the most reliable shingle in the last few years in my market. We use the ultimate pipe flashings on every roof we do and on roof repairs. I have never seen one of the boots leak. The only one that has ever failed in the 5 years we have been installing them is one where a raccoon ripped it apart and it still did not leak because it had ice and snow under it. The only reason we noticed it was because we were out for a different issue.

1 Like

‘I have rarely seen defect claims on GAF’? Seriously? How long have you been roofing? Go on line and you can find class actions on them since forever. In fact their problems probably predate the time Al Gore invented the internet!

1 Like

GAF has has granule loss issues for the entire time I have been roofing, I started in 1988.

GAFs top end stuff is in line with other manufacturers, it still costs more than the equivalent from the others.

1 Like

Good point Axiom. I should clarify it is the standard timberline that is garbage, not the higher end products.

1 Like

To clarify, is the Timberline Ultra HD considered in the top tier of GAF products or is it on par with the standard Timberline, just 50% (or so) thicker?

Thanks

It is one of their better shingles.

Last year I put a bunch of bib flashings in a 20 yr old top end Timberline roof because the shingles were tearing vertically but otherwise the roof was in good condition and the shingles were still pliable.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know. I’ve got a GAF roof with architectual shingles (builder installed) that I guess is comparable to the Timberline shingle (or maybe that’s what it is) that is 17 years old. The granular loss that I’ve removed from the gutters over the years seems impressive, but I don’t know what’s expected. I’ve been told I’ve got a couple of years left (three at best). I’m thinking I’m going to half it replaced as to not push my luck. I’m meeting with a Malarkey contractor next week (who also happens to install Atlas and CT, but not GAF or OC).