Flat roof troubles

We have used EPDM and Duralast. I would do it with
duralast if mine.

let me once again say; CALL A ROOFER!

torch down lasts 2o + yrs.
go up there over the leaking area and find
some openings in laps some where.
with torchdown, 90% of the time its an unsealed lap.

sorry roofboss hes not gonna listen.

gweedo

sorry ranchhand , i was meaning florida h/o posters,(potentual customers).

ive been a roofing contractor for 40 yrs.im not gonna go out deaf dumb and blind and start g.c.ing a bunch of jobs just cause i have been “around” all other trades…CALL A ROOFER>…you go right ahead and put your blue board down and glue your rubber to it.if any roofer in your area has to fix your mess i would think your gonna pay the price.just for shits and giggles it takes my apprentices about 5 yrs to get epdm systems down to the acceptable level.

I’m going through a durolast install right now so here’s my take on your situation. (see my thread Durolast Hell, an update is coming tonite on that thread with pics) Learn from my mistakes, its much cheaper to learn from other peoples mistakes than your own.

First, to Roofboss, to say “call a roofer” sounds like good commonsense advice, its not enough. How ya gonna know he’s any good? Referrals can help sometimes, but many times that referral might be based on the roofer buying supplies from the person who gave you a referral. A little bit of conflict of interest me thinks. I’ve gotten a few referrals like that where the phone number ending up being disconnected or nobody calls back so you know that they are fly-by-nighters being referred to you.

When I decided on Durolast for my roof, I thought that asking the Durolast Factory sales rep would ensure that I get a good contractor. That, sadly, didnt happen. My contractor was woefully overwhelmed by my roof and now I have ponds and sloppy workmanship all over the place.

I even complained to the Durolast sales rep who mostly took the contractors side and blamed me and my building for the ponds. Now, that sales rep wont even return my calls. All he cares about is making the sale so he’s going to be reluctant to criticize a contractor buying product through him.

Now a word about Durolast material itself. I think its a great product and it comes with a great warranty (for commercial) but the downside is first, the price, and two: you are locked into their proprietary system of dealers and installers. You can’t go to any roofing supply house to buy Durolast. Only a certified Durolast installer can get it, and if you want the warranty, it has to be installed by a durolast installer who might be good or he might suck. Don’t think that certification means hes an expert.
My certified installer acted like he never had to deal with ponds or slope prior to me.

Because Durolast warrants their product even in ponding water, no demands are made to the contractors to avoid ponds or to add slope. They will warrant their product under any marginal situation and not give a hoot about say stuctural safety. Just make that sale.

Another thing to be aware of is when the durolast contractor or rep tells you that you can just cover over your old roof and avoid tearoff. This is occasionally possible but many times it can be hard to tell your old roof needs to tore off. They do these core pull-out tests to check the condition and depth under the surface, but even here, those core tests can be done wrong, faked, or not enough were done or they were done in the wrong places. For example, a core test can tell you that a certain area is bad that you already know is bad, but you already know that. Those core tests should be done in areas that you think are GOOD - and insist that they do a few of them, not just the minimum. The prospect of a tearoff is downplayed by durolast installers because telling the truth might result in the customer picking a cheaper product.

After all the BS I’ve gone thru (with more to come) I regret choosing Durolast. I do like the product and the warranty is appealing but their business model/dealer network leaves much to be desired.
I’d go with EPDM painted white, which I hear is much improved these days and much cheaper.
More on Durolast hell coming…

for the record…carlisle make a white epdm called briteply