Flashing Cement vs. Copper

Which is better for my chimney?

And what about valley flashing, what material is best?

Thanks,

Put new copper counter on and copper step flashing as well. Versus qUick fix cement that will not last as long as 50 year flashing.

Copper for the chimney. With lead or morter in the brick joints.

Valley, depends, but usually copper is best.

roofersreview.com/v/Roof+flashin … ?g2_page=1

%between%http://www.roofersreview.com/d/6199-2/Roof+flashing+Chimney+flashing.jpg

those are pretty exterme opposite of the spectrum. if you use copper, you cant use aluminum step with it as they will react with each other.

roof cement is just crap and anyone that offers it to you…throw out thier bid because they are hacks.

what about the standard…aluminum?

we do ice & water shield in the valleys with a closed cut shingle.

roof cement is just crap and anyone that offers it to you…throw out thier bid because they are hacks

That was my thought. They are just submitting lowest bid possible, with little/no thought to quality.

Roof cement will last as long as you can see their tail lights.

Not really, but only a one to two season time frame before it starts to dry up and crack would certainly be a reality.

Copper is great, but not if installed incorrectly.

Aliminum shoud not be in direct contact with masonry mortar, due to a chemical reaction which deteriorated the aluminum. But, if the 4 sides of the chimney are firsly encapsulated with a bituthane membrane, such as Grace Ice and Water Shield, then direct contact is being avoided.

No aluminum step flashing baby tins should be used with copper counter flashings. They absolutely will deteriorate from the galvanic reaction.

You would nead copper or lead/zinc fasteners with copper as well.

Architectural Sheet Metal work is a craft all by itself and probably 95 % or more of all roofers do not do it correctly according to SMACNA or NRCA guidelines.

Ed

Terne metal for flashing

Galvalum finished steel for valley, drip edge, apron, etc.

copper would be best . but i have question what about using a layer of cement then a layer of membrane then more cement that seems to hold well for small leak repairs

copper or lead coated copper and lead are the most common chimny flashings that I see. galv. steel is crap because it will rust and stain the hell out of everything.

there is a million diffrent scenarios when deciding what to use and how on chimney flashing.

if you have a regular brick chimney, you can use 4x6 around it and counter flash that ( alot of them done in my neck of the woods like that).

alot of times i lke to use torch down , belevie it or not. it forms to the chimney nicely and it last forever. i torch all for sides then terminate it.

now be fore i get yell at.
dont for get that step flashing is one of the best ways of course.

they all work
ive done all three.

gweedo.

[quote]
alot of times i lke to use torch down , belevie it or not. it forms to the chimney nicely and it last forever. i torch all for sides then terminate it. [/quote]

That works very well, it has been a long time but I have done it also.
Uncured rubber flashing works very well also.

I don’t like to do a chimney in any metal other than copper, I can solder the corners.

A 5 course tar and fabric flashing is the cheapest flashing that will last the life of the roof, looks like hell though.