Firestone APP 160 modified vs. Sealoflex 3-coat system

Hello Roofing experts, I have recently bought an older house in the Washington DC area, which has a flat tin roof in bad condition. I have estimates from two different roofing companies, each of which propose a different solution. What are the pros and cons of each?

Company #1 suggests installing a 43 lb. fiberglass underlayment and then a new Firestone APP modified bitumen roof, one ply rubber roof using the torch down method. it carries a 12 year manufacturer´s warranty on the rubber material and a 3-year warranty on labor. There is also the option of installing a densdeck insulation board and/or installing a 20-year rubber roof? (does that mean more coats or what?)

Company #2 proposes to install a Sealoflex 3-coat system brushed and rolled over the existing metal roof, consisting of a pink base coat with fiberglass mat and two finish coats. Final color = white, and there is a 10-year warranty on materials, five year on labor.

Thanks for your input. these things are difficult for the neophyte to compare.

Hi,

The 3 systems are all good systems.

The first system is not a rubber roof. It is an asphalt product that is applied with a touch. The second one sounds like it is a rubber roof system.

The third one can, every 10 years, have a new top coat put on. If maintained it will be the last roof you need to apply.

They are all good. The installers will make each one good or bad.

The firestone app 160 is a good product. They also sell a App 170 which is a thicker rubber which you may want to think about going with. Only a couple bucks more per sq might be worth it. Also as far as i know with the material warranty its 10 years for the rubber and then you gain another 2 years if you silvercoat the roof.

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. Here is another difference between the two bids:

Company #1 proposes removing the existing tin roof covering down to the wood sheathing and replacing any wood sheathing and rafters that may need to be replaced before installing the fiberglass underlayment.

Company #2 would remove any loose paint and coatings, but not remove the roof. The second roofer says that he did not actually find any holes in the old tin roof.

12 years silvercoated is correct for 160. Its not rubber its modified bitumen. Rubber is epdm.

If there are no holes in the tin roof, why replace.

Scrape, wire brush and paint with a good metal paint.

I don’t like the idea of monolithic rubberized type coatings over a tin roof. If the job is not done well,trapped moisture will continue to rust the tin without being noticed. If painted, the paint will not stick and soon peel off a poorly prepped area. That area can then be re done properly.

If there is a major problem with the old metal, tear it off and install a new metal roof.

Like the others have stated, Firestone APP 160 is NOT rubber, it is an asphalt product that is modified with polymers to give it elasticity. EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) is rubber. If someone is trying to sell you modified bitumen as rubber, I wouldn’t use them strictly because they don’t even know what type of material they are working with.

With regard to your tin roof, why are you having it replaced? Is it all rusted out, or do you just have a few leaks?

[quote=“Cerberus”]Like the others have stated, Firestone APP 160 is NOT rubber, it is an asphalt product that is modified with polymers to give it elasticity. EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) is rubber. If someone is trying to sell you modified bitumen as rubber, I wouldn’t use them strictly because they don’t even know what type of material they are working with.

With regard to your tin roof, why are you having it replaced? Is it all rusted out, or do you just have a few leaks?[/quote]

Cerberus,

I do properly identiofy the various materials to customers who have been misguided, but it sure is an easy one to slightly forgive, just for the sake of attempting to explain the chemical components in each products formulation.

Show a home owner a piece of Mod Bit and, if they do not touch it or scratch it with their finger nails, they would quite likely presume that it is a “Rubber-Like” substance.

Ed