Eaves with extra overhang

I’m reroofing a 4/12 pitch roof that had 15-year-old IKO three-tab asphalt. After removing the shingles, I noticed an odd construction. The builder covered the eave with Ice&Water, then shims to give some overhang, then drip edge, then shingles. The shims positioned the drip-edge a few inches out from the fascia.

Photo here:

Is it good to do the same thing on my rebuild, or should I eliminate the shims and just position the drip edge 1/2" past the decking?

Pic link is broken for me.

Please check again. Sorry, I’m not too good with computers.

1 Like

Working now, thanks. Will the new drip edge lap down over the fascia board if you remove those shim shakes? The guy must have had a reason, as that is quite a bit of extra work for a standard shingle install.

All I can guess is that the builder wanted a lot of offset so drips wouldn’t come down to the fascia. This is New England, so we get snow and sometimes melt & freeze days.

Here’s a photo from below looking up:

That is a crazy detail that I’ve never seen and I’ve been at this for 35 years. I do appreciate that he went through a lot of effort to achieve his goal and the eave looks really clean. My biggest concern would be vulnerability to windstorms. It seems like those wood shingles would be grabbed and yanked off by the right wind.

1 Like

Going to take a WAG and say the extension is in lieu of gutters, and keeps ice from building on the fascia.

2 Likes

I was thinking it may be because the sheeting was to short to nail the drip edge into.

I haven’t seen this for quite a while, it used to be rather common.

It wasnt originally built like this.

A roofer added it on for the homeowner.

The builder made a mistake by making the fascia 90 degrees from the ground
Instead of 90 degrees from the roof.
Which rots the fascia in short order.
The additional 1x2 is still not enough to push the water off of the fascia.
It must be covered with vinyl or aluminum.

So after the roofer replaced probably half of the rotten Eve fascia boards, he erected this for the homeowner. I like it!

He could have square cut the rafter tails, added lookouts, and then new fascia board. We did that alot when we’d have rotten crown mold on the eaves and couldn’t spike hang a gutter.