Eave Return Problems

Shown here is a pic of my cornice returns. There is step flashing behind the siding but nothing behind the T&G soffit. There were multiple layers of old roofing, so when the roof was done this summer we were left with some gaps:

I can only load one image since I am a new user so I’ll continue in the next post.

These gaps lead right into the soffits and have to be closed now in some way. Hoping to get some suggestions from the Pros here.

Also, should I do anything with the jagged siding other than straighten it out, as shown here:

I thought I would cut it about an 1" above the roof to get it off the roofing.

Not really much water gets to there. You can take it apart and install a deverter, and step flashing and reshingle it. Or you can cut 3 inches off the siding and slip the step and deverter under the siding.
But common sense would tell me to just caulk that gap and save yourself the hassle. Run a bead right along it, make it a thick one if you want. Your only worried about that wall (the part with actual siding), the other half only has a soffit and can be forgotten as waters not getting in there to begin with, and if it does magically, its just soffit underneath. Your shingles tuck right underneath from the looks of it also. But seal right along if you want itll be fine, itll turn out fine

2 Likes

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. The siding already has step flashing behind it, as mentioned above. I think that edge just needs to be cleaned up. My main concern is where the T&G beadboard soffit meets the roof. Those are some pretty big gaps there, which you can hopefully see from the pictures above. The concern there is not water getting in per se but wasps, mice, rats, birds, squirrels, etc—all of which are a problem here. I’m not sure caulking a gap that big—1” or so in some spots—is going to suffice.

I’m thinking now I’ll cut a straight line an inch off the roof, lay down two lines of geocel 2300 under a 1”x 2” furring strip halfway under the soffit and screwed down to follow the contours of the roof. Then cover that with a rabbeted piece of panel cap moulding (rabbeted side over the furring strip) nailed in to the soffit and the furring strip. If all goes well that should fully seal the gap and blend in well with the rest of the trim work.

In dealing with the small gaps where the shingles slide under.
Some homeowners like to use spray foam.
Its always because they are concerned with bugs and critters can get in.
They hear these stories about how small a hole a creature can squeeze into.

But i think it is mostly all for nothing.
But peace of mind is a good thing
And worth the effort if it distracts the mind.

Mostly the only bugs that will want to come
Is where there is a constant water source.
(A leak)
And that is not an area that Ever leaks.

Around here bees love those returns, we find them there frequently.

Yes , Here too.
But just wanted to point out that its nest
is usually outside the soffit
Not inside the soffit

With a gap as large as in the picture the entire inside of that return would be full.

The houses around the orchards always have a bunch of bee & hornet nests.

Yes, here too. Not just wasps and hornets, but squirrels too will chew their way in to the soffits through those gaps. That’s why the standard caulking solution will not suffice here.