Drying In thoughts?

In our region, a reroofing crew will typically tear-off only as much as can be reinstalled on that day. During our peak season, we have several months of regularly scheduled thunderstorms between 11AM and 4PM that can soak you out. Nobody wants to get caught in these flash storms and risk problems. Am I correct in understanding certain regions will dry in roofs and feel confident this will be fine for a few days? This practice is unheard of here unless it’s on New Construction and the conversation alone makes most roofers break into a sweat. Thoughts?

Certain areas won’t let you install the roof until they perform a sheeting/dry in inspection.

I see it as a huge workflow advantage by drying in as a separate process on its own. In Alberta, where I reside and started in this business, we just needed 6 mil poly along the eaves to meet code. Felting the whole roof was “fancy” and an expense few contractors tabled at the fear of losing jobs. Ice and Water was “boutique” and everything was hand nailed. Crew compensation is now heavily based on the amount of bundles one can install hourly and thoughtful preparation tends to interfere with that formula. It’s quite alarming considering the expense that is paid for a new roof.

We will dry in and walk away from new construction only, usually to wait for penetrations. In warmer weather we dry in and flash walls then wait for siding/paint. This way they don’t tear up our shingles in the heat. Many new roofs lose 5-10 years of life right out of the gate by roofers, painters, siders scarring shingles. We NEVER dry in an occupied home and walk away for a few days. It is tempting fate and a bad look for neighbors to see a vacant, unfinished job site.

It is not unusual to tear off and the leave the roof open for a day here. We typically tear off the entire roof, then dry in. The benefits of roofing in So Cal i guess. In Dec-Feb we just make sure to cover the roof the day we tear off or if its a large roof do it in phases. We do not have dry in inspection here mostly Pre and final. We can cover without a pre if weather moves in but we should take pics or a vid or of the deck… especially any wood replacement. Our new construction is mostly standing seam and over the years we have learned to just bid it with Grace I&W. Those jobs can take 6 months + before we roof them and all the other trades destroy the synthetic you we put down… requiring a 2nd layer, the grace gives us more protection.

Typical bs, you dry it in they complain about leaks only to discover they ran additional plumbing vents and didn’t tell us. Happens a lot.

So aside from bad optics stemming mostly from “nobody else does it this way” on residential roofs. A properly dried in roof using premium underlayments and cap nailed, should be good for a a couple of days? Of course, protocols would need to be ironclad for chimneys, skylights and existing protrusions. Roof is stripped, dried in and then bundles are loaded to be ready for the nailers the next day or two.

I ask because I have a healthy skepticism toward this whole “Super Crew” notion I’m seeing with greater frequency. It’s the “new and improved formula” needed to “bang out” 250 squares in a day!! (sarcasm) In my experience, a well oiled crew of 3 or 4 people (max) is perfect. 2 nailers, 1 rooftop helper, 1 swamper. It’s manageable for the crew lead, duties are more defined, quality better monitored and the team is generally more stable. To be frank, our region’s “crew team cohesion” is simply pathetic. Granted, much can be blamed on the transient nature of the business but I believe it’s more than that. So many roofers who have built up their own war chest of equipment feel it’s reason enough to start a business and manage people. Now hold on before I get crucified … they tend to repeatedly fail at basic business principles, time and money management and exhibit little decency toward their work force. Everyone is to blame except themselves. Much of the blame is simply they work too much, too late and are too exhausted to do the housekeeping needed to maintain a business. Many will work 10 plus days in a row and then “CRASH HARD”.

Okay, I digress and need to quiet my inner “cranky batsard”.

I think there is an arguable case for a division of burden to improve quality, reduce stress, increase job satisfaction and boost productivity. A specialized dry-in crew and a separate installation crew … on replacements.

Now I hide under the table and wait for the hell-fire.

yes and no,i had two claims on my azz, both times was sunny with little clouds and rnadom thunderstorm right above the houses i worked on.
never ever i leave anything just felted overnight.
brand new tarp ,caulk chimney,boots for pipes etc.
that extra time spent on tarping for overnight usually feels like extra work. but on some jobs its worth it

No hellfire from me but you’re painting with a broad brush and missing some in between scenarios with crew size/cohesion.

First your point about optics of leaving a job vacant because “nobody does it this way” is opposite of my reasoning. Many others do it that way and we stand apart because we don’t. Neighbors notice those things and talk.

Second, yes underlayment should be able to protect a home for a few days but you must take into account your region and possible severity of storms. Chance for showers is different than heavy rain with high winds obviously. In the latter case we would make sure we had shingles on rather than trust underlayment.

Third, the business model of a 3-4 man crew may appeal to you as your perfect scenario but it is not mine because I like to make money. I have extrapolated that out to where we have 3-4 of those crews working led by employees who have been with me for 10-20 years overseeing other guys who have from 1-5 years with the company. If we get in a bind with weather or a big job I can put crews together. They have all worked together and know each other, many of them long time friends. Customers always comment how they don’t even have to talk and everyone knows what job they have. Some of these guys have worked together on over 2,000 jobs(we do around 200 roofs per year). That’s cohesion.

Works for me anyway.

1 Like

Oh yeah, and we don’t work weekends so guys aren’t burnt out.

I had a roof papered for 4 months this year,they were building dormers and a big addition. Cap nailed cheap synthetic, I forget which but a cheap one.
Only leaked where the addition was as they were in the process,the framers kinda sucked at tarping
I have no issue trusting a decent paper job.

Yes, this is a sticky subject and my obeservations relate to want I see in my region. In Alberta, the normal reroof season generally shuts down in November and trickle starts in March. The winter is most often new construction, or a sideline job, or starvation. To complicate matters, we get monster hail and then all hell breaks loose where everyone piles toward insurance work which pays a premium for those who in many cases can do little better than fog a mirror. It’s truly a feast and famine cycle for many crews and one can’t dispute that regional influences how things are done … here. There are very few sloped crews that stay together for a long time unless you look at the flat roof teams. Maybe because they work year round despite the weather?

I’ve always been an advocate for roofing. All homes have one and there’s nothing coming down the pike that’s replacing the need for a roof. Love the idea of the Tesla roof but I’m not worried it’s a threat toward asphalt obsolescence. The challenge is making the trade attractive for those who can see it as a career rather than “fill the gap” job. Heck, plumbers, electricians and carpenters seem to do just fine … maybe they know something they aren’t sharing?

I just think there is always a better way and sometimes one needs to challenge the paradigm.

I do miss the arse end of a pickup truck as a dump trailer though! Hehehe …

Most synthetics can endure prolonged exposures but cap nailing is a must. On a big slop face, as long as the synthetic is properly installed and securely fastened, why would it not be watertight for a few days? It’s the other parts that can be problematic and need to be done intelligently.

The advantage overall is a clean reroof site, which compared to new construction is far better because there is no mud!!

Burnout so real. People need to have lives.