Drip Edge on Tile Roof

I have a concrete Spanish tile roof with no drip edge. There is metal on the edge of the roof that the tiles rest on but do metal coming down over the fascia. It would be ideal if the rain came down only on top of the tiles, but in several areas it is coming down under the tiles. Should tile roofs have a drip edge like shingle roofs and what can be done about the water coming under the tiles??

Post a pic but if done correctly tile roofs don’t require a drip edge. My first coarse of action would be to figure out why water is getting under the tiles.

1 Like

In the Pacific Northwest the TRI (tile roof institute) does require drip edge, not sure about all regions.Island is correct that there is a bigger issue. There should not be water running under your roof. Pictures would solve this easily.

1 Like

Is this the type of picture you had in mind?

That are is called a “valley”. Its where water collects where different slopes intersect. Water running down that area is perfectly normal. Its not water getting under your tiles if its only happening there.

Per the TRI, drip edge is required for all tile roof installations.

I agree that a new tile rppf should have a drip edge installed but not existing tile roofs that were possibly built before they “required” that. Same with slate.

It’s hard to tell feom the pic bit the valley flashing “might” be a bit short. It should overhang your sheeting so water doesnt run down your fascia board. If so the proper repair would be a piece to extend your valley flashing, not to add drip edge.

Yikes! I hope you’re in Tucson or Vegas. In our area that fascia would rot out in 3 years.

the water is not only coming down in the valley but under the dripstop to the left.

If it is just a foot or two to the left it is still coming from the valley flashing. Make sure bird stop has a notch cut on the bottom where it laps over valley so water can flow under it. Also make sure dirt/debris haven’t obstructed anything here. It wouldn’t hurt to install a piece of anti pond flashing 3 feet to the left and right of valley in these areas. Make sure it is under paper and birdstop. We go 9” up roof and 2” down with a kick.

Without getting into the drip edge question of whether or not it should be there… any time metal comes in contact with wood there will be condensation. So even if you have drop edge it will be metal to wood and condensation with eventually rot fascia and freeze board or bird board. There is no solution other than to redo( not recommended due to insane cost) or to let nature do its thing and replace as needed. Also painting a piece of wood to protect from condensation is not a long term protection