Drip edge nailing problem

I am going to be putting a new roof on my house and have an issue. I was just wondering what someone would do in this situation. The attached diagram is what is currently on my house and shows all of the components and they are to scale, with maybe the exception of the nail. This problem, in case it isn’t obvious, is that the drip edge has no place to nail or screw to. It would be in the gap between the fascia and the roof sheathing. So how do you fix this, with these limitations; the drip edge indicated in the diagram has to be used. I cannot get anything else. It’s a steel shingle system and this is the starter that has to be used. And the fascia and soffit has to remain as is. The sheathing cannot be redone.

Rip a filler piece to pad out that gap.

1 Like

Flamco has the F5 that we use in cases such as this. You need a larger nailable surface. That may help.

would pop riveting a width of coil stock to the drip edge I have to extend it be stupid?

Cut a Rip 12" or 16" up from the back of the back of the facia, remove the old decking and install rips of plywood tight to the back of the facia.

2 Likes

Nail one inch from the bottom edge every 4 inches.
You should hit the 1x6 plenty.

Don’t think you can, it has a hem for the metal to lock on to.

Why does the fascia have to remain as is?

It looks like the fascia is too high so it needs to be cut down to plane with the roof.

Or, the sheeting can be extended a little like I think MPA suggested.

My first idea was to extend the sheathing about 3/4 to one inch, but thought If I could do something else I would. But I have found some rot on a few places on the sheathing so I’m just going to cut out a piece the entire length and replace it with a slightly wide one. reason was I couldn’t go with another type of flashing, other than eating the cost, is because the stuff I have s matched to the shingles. Anyway, time to get the worm drive Skilsaw out and rip some plywood

1 Like

Cut out 11in, put back 12.

2 Likes

That is precisely what I had in mind

1 Like

Is it not possible to just use long enough nails to penetrate the sub fascia?

sure it’s possible to use long nails or screws, and perhaps if it were a 2x fascia I would, but I don’t like the idea of nailing or screwing that into a 1x4 edge, especially when the back edge of the flashing would not be resting securely on anything. Besides, the previous roofers tried that and were minimally successful. I couldn’t count the number of nails that had missed and hit either side or split out.

Rent a metal bending brake and make your own drip.