Does anyone do roof supplements for OSHA requirements?

Hello everyone,

I work as an independent supplementer with Xactimate. I have been doing this for a little over a month, and I am just curious what everyone else is supplementing for? I’ve had trouble with getting specific things out of insurance companies because it’s basically not expressed verbiage on Xactimate.

I have started adding either scaffolding or harnesses to each of my jobs to satisfy OSHA, specifically SCF RNTHLD, which is harness per day. I haven’t had much resistance on this, so I’m wondering how trivial to go with it.

OSHA requires eye protection for nail guns, snips and shingle removers. OSHA requires hearing protection while around generators or air compressors. OSHA requires electricians to look at wiring and remove fixtures/turn off breakers before painting. 40ft Ladder rental. Hardhats. The list goes on and on.

With a lot of carriers refusing to pay O&P, it has me looking around for ways to get more money for my clients. I would consider OSHA to be part of overhead, but if you’re not paying overhead then I need these line items.

Xactimate was made by insurance companies to solve this exact issue. If the insurance company is requiring me to use Xactimate’s pricing structure, what stops me from using it against them? I can write an estimate to be about $800/square for a steep 2 story arch, using only line items given to me on the scope, plus code requirements and OSHA requirements.

I haven’t submitted any estimates using anything other than harnesses, I’m just curious if anyone else does, or what you supplement for?

Most of the things you mentioned are standard equipment required for the job. Why not charge for nail guns and hammers?

1 Like

Nail guns are included in deprecation of tools. Same reason we use ARMV>, they own equipment and deprecation is included in ARMV> not 300.

Dude, I was being sarcastic.

2 Likes

My apologies, it didn’t read in my head to be sarcastic. I also figured the viewpoint of “OSHA is part of doing work and not the insurances problem” would be standard here.

While I would generally agree, and some OSHA requirements are kind of BS for residential, if the insurance company is going to nickel and dime me on other line items, I am more apt to push for them.

No need to apologize, I just thought it was rather humorous.

Here’s how I look at it. And believe me, I want to have the IC’s pay for everything they owe that is cost incurred with the job. I don’t know of anybody that would break out OSHA requirements for a residential retail job. For a commercial job, it may very well be appropriate as the costs are more varied and substantial. OSHA requirements are the same for a residential cash bid job as they are for an insurance job. So I don’t see charging for them as appropriate, especially small stuff like harnesses, ropes, etc.

On the other hand, onsite Residential Supervision is a line item I believe should be included, and paid for, for all jobs. It is for substantially more money and is a necessary element not only to satisfy OSHA but also for many other reasons.

My recommendations is to quit “searching” for bullshit line items to prop up your estimate/supplement and focus more on improving your supplement techniques to get paid for all the items that are valid, fair and reasonable. That is what has worked for me for quite some time. Good luck.

If you need some help, go to www.restorationai.com and look through the training videos. They’re free whether you pay for using the apps there or not. The training still is applicable. I created these apps for our own use, they are the most effective and efficient method I’ve found for supplementing and being paid fairly for the work performed. The training however can be applied in most cases regardless of whether you use the app or not.

I am in agreement with you, I don’t charge for the nickel and dime items pertaining to OSHA, just harnesses and residential supervisor.

OSHA requirements are the same for a residential cash bid job as they are for an insurance job. So I don’t see charging for them as appropriate, especially small stuff like harnesses, ropes, etc."

I am in total agreement with the first sentence, but not the second. We charge similar prices to insurance and bid jobs. My cash bid jobs have pricing built in for steep slope and harnesses, as well as money to pay a residential supervisor for the duration of the build. Why should I not be getting this additional paid on insurance claims as well?

I agree, this post is about “searching” for bullshit line items (or rather, asking what others are using). I do fine on supplements only using what we are actually going to do on the job, mainly just supplementing existing line items. I will however take a look at those videos, and I thank you for the link. There’s always more to learn.

What I really see in this, is that these line items are given to us by Xactimate, they are an incurred cost that is used on the jobsite, with easy proof to back it up (OSHA does not pertain to O&L, so OSHA compliance is required on EVERY job). The main reason I started this thread was to see what else people supplement that works, that way when I run into a difficult adjuster that won’t pay for any supplements outside of O&L, I can still get some extra money through OSHA or similar.

You asked, I answered. Please show me some of your Retail bids where you broke out harnesses and other OSHA required items as separate line items. You say you build them in. I say so does the Xactimate base rate. Here’s the thing. I could care less how you work with the IC’s. If you can get paid for that stuff, good for you. I’ve found the ROI for trying to argue these items is a negative.

The goal shouldn’t be to get paid for every single little line item you can conjure up, it should be to reach a reasonable profit margin. We average 45% to 50% gross margin on our jobs using what I believe is an efficient and effective approach. I have commonly seen Contractors wasting tons of time and delaying jobs fighting over the last per cent or two when they have met or already exceeded a fair and reasonable profit margin. Again, you’re welcome to do it however you wish.

Sorry if I am seeming to come off argumentative, I am not trying to be. Just trying to absorb and learn.
We do lump sum retail bids, but they are included in what we pay to sub labor.

You’re probably right about ROI being low/negative for those line items. I agree no point about arguing for a few hundred bucks and holding the last check out for a long time. The whole point of this thread was just to see what others have had success with and update with what I am having success with.

I think you’ve been spending too much time on Facebook forums with all the so called experts and frankly, are overthinking this entire insurance restoration process. I’m guessing you haven’t done this for all that long but I respect the hard work you are doing to attempt to do it correctly. It is my opinion you are setting yourself up for unnecessary and non productive arguments with the IC’s but that’s your business. Good luck to you.