Do you have to use GAF products To maintain their warranty for the shingle

I would like to know if you have to use GAF products to maintain their 50 year shingle warranty[quote=“Lena, post:1, topic:18204, full:true”]
Looking to get more details on what the GAF Timberline shingles warranty ACTUALLY covers. I have read it and it looks like it says that in the first 25 years GAF will pay to repair or recover the affected GAF product if there is an application error. What does this actually mean?

Also, I have been reading the Landmark Certainteed warranty, and they don’t mention paying for labor if case of application errors at all. Does this mean, they only cover manufacturing defects?

Would you say that because of labor coverage GAF has a better warranty?

Thank you
[/quote]

I would say it is mostly irrelevant as you’re likely looking at a 0.25% chance of having a manufacturing defect warranty claim. And if you do, good luck getting any manufacturer to stand behind their warranty. Better be extremely blatant and obvious.

To get the GAF warranty, I think you have to use their cap, starter, underlayment and possibly, ice & water barrier.

What do you think the chances are you’ll still be at that house 25 years from now?

What if the roof begins to fail in five years will GAF say they will not warrantee it because the underlayment materials were not GAF. My contractor is going to use timberline HDZ high definition lifetime shingles

Dr Gary DDS
201-663-0935
www.dentalpracticeguide.com
Fax 1-866-431-8776 110 Chestnut Ridge Rd. Montvale NJ 07645

What if the roof begins to fail in five years will GAF say they will not warrantee it because the underlayment materials were not GAF. My contractor is going to use timberline HDZ high definition lifetime shingles

Dr Gary DDS
201-663-0935

They will likely find another way weasel out of it even if you use gaf underlayment too.

From my experience, the only way to have a shingle manufacturer care enough about your business to actually honor one of their warranties is to do an purchase an absolute insane amount of their products. And the only contractors purchase that much materials are the guys who just sub out all their work to whoever can get their jobs done the cheapest and the quickest. Clearly not the way to get yourself a quality install.

The idea of “ a 50 year shingle” is completely ridiculous. So much so I think it’s insulting to both us roofers and homeowners that manufacture even try to pretend it’s a realistic at all that shingles will last that long. Or that they will make it right after they fail in half that time.

If your installer doesn’t follow the guidelines for the 50 year warranty, rest assured they won’t honor the 50 year warranty. 5 years? I’m not sure what the requirements are. To be safe, we tend to use the manufacturers materials when installing the roof to make sure we don’t screw up any warranty requirements. Doesn’t cost that much more and it may prevent the manufacturer from finding a loophole for honoring their warranty.

Thank you for your advice I appreciate it

Dr Gary DDS
201-663-0935

Neither one will last over 20-25 years.
And you will be paying for your new roof at that time.

It doesnt matter what some salesman told
You or what material warranty you have read.

1 Like