Do I need a new roof?

Hi, I purchased my house 4 years ago. It was built in 1993 and the shingles show wear. Should I get a new roof? I am also considering doing it myself. While I have limited roofing experience I am very mechanically inclined and feel I could do this job. I just find it very hard to pay $6000+ for something I could do for $2000. I am thinking tear off as that seems to be the preferred method.

[URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/icemanxp300/media/roof_zpsanpefnga.jpg.html][/URL]

While that roof is starting to show a bit of age I don’t see any big red flags that it need to be replaced right away. And yes this roof is a good candidate for a diy.

While I see absolutely no critical “red tiles”, I would have to agree that this is a great opportunity for a DIY job. Also, would like to leave this link - http://rangerroofingok.com/average-cost-of-your-roof/ to give you some insight of potential replacing costs. Hope this helps.

Ok so I think I am going to tackle this job this year. I have been watching tons and tons of videos and lots of research over the last year. I estimate it will cost me roughly $2K in materials plus I will need to get a dumpster and buy/rent a nail gun compressor.

I still need to look at the garage a bit more but is there anything special about where the garage meets the house? Do the shingles simply go under the siding trim? I would imagine they likely installed some kind of trim there I could likely still use. I plan on redoing all the drip edge everywhere else but if there is something under the siding I might want to just go over that? I know they have some u-channel type trim directly above the shingles which I can push the new shingles under.

I can upload pictures again as it looks like they may have disappeared. House is 36’ on the eave and roughly 17’ for the rake, both sides. The garage is 12’ on the eave and roughly 14’ on the rake both sides. Roughly 15 square.

One more thing I would like to install permanent anchors for hanging xmas lights. What do you guys think about putting something like a hitch clip in under the shingles as compared to one over the ridge and caulking the nails?

Omg, No i disagree with islandroofing about this.
And i usually agree with almost everything he says.
I dont think this is a do it your self AT ALL.
Steep, two story, flashing under vinyl siding???
6000? Best money you ever spent if they do
A good job.

I think only experienced roofers should tackle this job.
Because of the combo of its steepness, two story and the wall intersections.

Roof_Lover I don’t know how it is where the garage meets the house. I am guessing. Not sure what you are looking at but it is only like a 5-6 pitch. That is not that steep. The other side has like 2-3 vents.

Here is a picture of before I bought the house (google maps doesn’t update often). I put an arrow where I am trying to figure out if there is any special flashing at where the garage meets the house.

The siding should have flashing under it, hopefully step flashing interlaced with the shingles.
Best option is to replace them, but if there’s no issue there they can be reused.

I wouldn’t want to tackle that solo, but if your careful you can do it.

Thanks! I just looked up step flashing it is not exactly what I thought it was going to be but similar. I had envisioned 1 piece of the trim going all the way up, not the small pieces that go on top of each shingle. So it goes, flashing, shingle, flashing, shingle, and so on.

That does look tedious, especially if the siding has to come off. I guess the proper way be to remove or pull away the siding, and install these. I’m watching a video where he says it should go under the wrap. Reading mixed things on whether to nail to wall or not. Plus someone said metal should not go against the wood, it needs a barrier.

I’m not overly concerned about removing siding, siding is pretty easy. I put a new sliding door in a year and a half ago when I built a deck and had to learn how to remove/replace siding.

The more I look into this the more I feel like the siding has to come off. Ice and water shield has to go down there as well.

You don’t nail the steps to the wall.
When you get them, they are bent to 90degrees. Open them up a little more as you go, and they will sit nice and tight against the wall.
They should go behind the wrap, and ice and water behind them is a good idea if your in an icey climate.
I prefer to get the siding out of the way first, then you don’t need to worry about damaging it while you remove the old roof.
Since this will likely take you some time, I would recomend synthetic underlayment with cap nails. Doesn’t blow away or wrinkle if you need to leave it.

You can nail the steps into the wall, the nails from the j channel are going through the stepflashing likely at a lower point than a roofing nail would.

If anything I nail into the wall and not into the roof.