Cutting Shingle Overhang Off?

The shingles on my roof overhand the gutters by 3 inches. It’s a real pain to clean the gutters when you have only about 1 1/4” of it ‘open.’ I just Googled it and while the amount of recommended overhang varies I found a 1” overhand mentioned the most. (For years I thought the overhand was OK as a professional company redid my roof about 10+ years ago.)

Any recommendations on an Easy way to cut off all that overhang? I need something easy as I haven’t been a ‘spring chicken’ for a whole lot of years and will likely have to do this on my belly. I have approximately a little over 120 feet of it I have to cut.

And it’s not 3-tab, it Owens Corning ‘Dragon Tooth’ so it’s pretty thick at the gutters with the starter course. (I think it’s called architectural shingles?)

With no support under it, a utility knife does not seem like the way to go, and very tedious, too. I have some large shears that say they’ll cut roofing shingles but on a test piece it was a hassle and I figure there has to be a better way.

I do have battery operated oscillating multi-tools that may do the job. Anyone use such a tool on shingles? If so, any inexpensive blade recommendations?

How about a recip saw? They seem to have too much of a chance of damaging the gutters, though, and maybe the shingles, too.

Not sure if a new tool is in the budget, but how about one of those mini circ saw tools I’ve been seeing?

Any ideas and tips are welcome!

I don’t think you’ll get the answer to easy. You say you’re older. I’d hire someone to do it. You won’t remember the money you saved when you’re bandaging a major cut or laying in the hospital bed recovering from the fall.

2 Likes

Asphalt shingles are cut with a hook blade that fits in a utility knife.

Use something for a straight edge and cut the shingles with the hook blade.

There is no easy way to do this of you have to lay on your belly to do the job. If that’s the case just hire a pro. I (and I assume most others) wouldn’t be too expensive to do this job provided it had ok access and ins’t too steep. You trying to do it on your belly has disaster written all over it.

Very easy fix, Mr. Homeowners. Use a pair of tin snips. Pop a line first, to keep it straight.

Thanks Everyone for the tips and suggestions. I’ll have to give this some more thought for sure.

Authentic is spot on. This has homeowner catastrophe written all over it. Eaves are the most dangerous spot on the roof for an experienced roofer to work, magnify by a lot for an older homeowner. We did a large tile roof for a very able bodied 50 some year old homeowner years ago. He went to clean gutters, slipped on wet villa tile and died on a fall off a single story roof. Spend a few hundred bucks and save your wife the heartache.