Hi. Please help me…I think I was scammed by my roofer.
- Day of contract signing he made me write 2 checks. One for my $1000 deductible and one for $3192.00.
- He said he would hold the second check until I was reimbursed from insurance. He cashed the $1000
- When I got the reimbursement check, it was for $2192.00. I knew he had already gotten the $1,000. So I stopped payment on that first $3,192. check and sent him $2192.
- He began sending threatening texts saying he was going to put a lien on my home and have a warrant issued for my arrest.
- I stopped payment on the $2192. on the advice of an insurance agent. She stated I would only owe him $1,192. because insurance takes the $1000 deductible out of my payout. She believes I was scammed.
Was I? I’m a schoolteacher. Sorry for the numbered list.