I ran across your message board when researching my dilemma. Would appreciate your input and thank you in advance!
First time home owner in Florida and am having a new roof installed. The roofer completed the underlayment and the roof passed the first and second inspections. The roofer advised that once the underlayment was in, I could go up to eight months without adding the cement tile. (Apparently there’s a shortage of tiles because of all the roof work being done here.) I waited four months so that tiles would be here when roof was complete. My goal was to have everything finished within 2-3 weeks.
No tarp was placed on the roof and when a tropical storm came through this weekend, water leaked into my home and left two water stains on the ceiling in my bedroom. The roofer explained that when the cement tiles were delivered, they were placed in such a way that the underlayment tore and caused the leak(s). He sent three workers today to repair the tears.
The next step is the installation of the tiles, but given the leak, I feel as though I need to take some type of action before proceeding. What, if anything would you suggest?
Rain (40% + precip.) is forecast for the next 10-12 days. The contractor doesn’t seem amenable to my request for a tarp. What options do I have? Here’s what I’ve thought of:
- Buy a tarp and ask him to install it.
- Get someone else to install the tarp, but I’m concerned that getting anyone else to do that might bring damage that contractor won’t repair.
Thank you again!