Couple of questions for the more experienced estimators here

First off this site is fantastic! I’ve been reading through alot of old topics and learned alot the last couple months. Thank you to everyone that actively contributes here!

I’m somewhat used to building roofing supplements now, however I need to include some damaged chimney siding and trim in an estimate to send in on a State Farm claim. What are the line items you guys typically use for siding replacement, as well as trim, and paint? Do I request detach and reset only on the siding that must be removed before the damaged pieces can be replaced? I believe it’s fiber cement board with wood trim.

Also we have a dead valley in an awkward section of roof that is currently shingled with step flashing at the sidewall. 1.7:12 I want to request code upgrade to replace it properly. I understand that rolled roofing would be a downgrade. What should I be attempting to install here? EPDM? What should I cite specifically to get this paid for and properly flashed and installed? The siding in this section is rotted wood fiber board and had zero clearance in this dead valley. Removal will also mean it needs replacing, which the homeowner would prefer to have done but at minimal out of pocket expense.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the best way to get this installed and paid for?

Photos would be very helpful in helping you.

Sorry they uploaded a little out of order

That area is most likely a 2-12 pitch. You are spanning 2 courses,
which will make the pitch decrease.

I assume you have Xactimate. Just use SDG category and search all the line items until you find the ones that are appropriate. Not sure the dead valley is an insurance issue. It was more a very poor architecture and build issue. I’d be going to the Homeowner and explaining what needs to be done to make sure that area is fine over the long term.

I appreciate the advice AD.

Tileman made a good point too.
I didnt even realize my sales guy was spanning two courses of shingles affecting the pitch reading.

Thank you Lumen. Even a broken clock is right twice a day so I am
bound to stumble on something accurate once in a while. To be completely accurate with the pitch gauge you should try to find a varge rafter and follow this, although it probably isn’t possible in the dead valley. Even shingles will decrease the pitch a little. Also that siding looks like a problem being so close to the deck, especially in a water trap like that.

The siding is definitely an issue. I’m going to push for flashing replacement from insurance and then detach and reset on the siding seeing as how there are fasteners through the siding and into the step flashing. From there I will apply those funds to installing Hardie siding with proper clearance (with a little additional $$$ from the homeowner).

In addition to that I have recommended to the homeowner that we need to install a gutter and downspout to the eave that dumps onto this section.

If the only place to take a pitch reading is from the shingle surface, placing a 4’ level or something flat on the shingles will give you a much more accurate reading.

I wouldnt be putting shingles back in that dead valley.
I wouldnt touch the flashing or the siding.
I would use self-adhered granulated modified bitumen.
One piece about 10 feet long
And i would run it right up the wall about a foot
(with some heat)
After i removed that trim board.

Here in pa we would just fill that hole with flat seam copper and call it a gusset.

I would definitely use the ice and water barrier in the dead area, as far as your chimney, a cricket also must be installed now per code… I have attached some jpg’s of the codes, they can be attached directly to your Xactimate.

deteriorated%20flashings ice%20and%20water

oh crap, also if that dead area is less that a 2/12 slope code does not allow shingles in that area, you would need to use modified bitumen or some other roofing material for flat roofs, that code is above alsdo

That code is covered in manufacturer’s specifications. Code states that all roofing materials are to be installed per manufacturer’s installation requirements. Each manufacturer has a statement regarding the minimum pitch allowed to install the shingle on. Look in the code book, you can Google it for free. Chapter 9 covers roof assemblies.