Cougar Paws

Do cougar paws make a big difference when it comes to residential roofing? I have had some close calls on old roofs and was wondering if it was worth it?
Thanks

For inspecting, absolutely. For building, I can’t see how. Unless, that is, you wanted to go through a new set of pads each day.

i love them on a 9-10/12

My guys love the cougar paws , we use them on any job 8/12 -12/12. Your going to go through a few pads , so what , they more than pay for themelves in increased protection

For me they are just as important as a nail gun. I fell off a roof hurting my back and hip was layed up for about 2 weeks. First thing I did was go buy a pair. All my guys wear them on an thing over 8/12. You will go through a few pads but they are less expensive then a trip to the ER.

i have opted to use high priced tennis shoes and well never had a problem. Thou retired a cushion and bracket and boards was the shingle way back then. Inspection from ground with good eyes i have spotted torn up pipe flanges from a 30 foot distance 2 and a half stories to the gutter. Did it last year for my father before i was retired. Honest truth, the more things come out the more people will buy, how did we get to where we are at without fancy shoes? I know i never fell. My 2 cents

most full time roofers dont need any magical shoes. shinglers wear high top sneakers usually in the hot weather. OSHA wants work boots.

I have always worn good basketball (sneakers) shoes, can walk an 8 all day. Knowing how to transfer weight is the key. They don’t tear up the shingles either. Actually quit a job years ago, because they said I had to wear boots. Don’t feel safe on a roof with boots.

Been using cougar paws for over 6 years now. I use them on every roof even a 4/12 pitch. Mainly for inspection and repairs. I have walked on a 12/12 pitch them with little problem. But knowing how to walk on a pitch roof is a key advantage.

Although, they do give you a false sense of security. When I first started using cougar paws the pads would delaminate once in a while when on a high pitch roof. They must of fixed it because that hasn’t happened in quite a while.

Personally i think IMO its just a thing that is there they sell. Like do you need 16 computers for home with 2 people living there. I know thats extreme but you can see what i am meaning.

[quote]gtp1003
Personally i think IMO its just a thing that is there they sell. Like do you need 16 computers for home with 2 people living there. I know thats extreme but you can see what i am meaning.
[/quote]

I have no idea what you mean gtp1003. But let me try.
I think your saying they are worthless? Am I right?
I had my doubts too until I tried a pair of my friends. The very next day I bought me a pair.

In all of the roofing suppliers that I have been to none of them tried to sell me a pair. In fact I bought mine online. Cougar Paws are also a good selling point if you know how to market them correctly. Think safety…

Looks interesting Ive never seen those before. My question would be how long will they hold up. I dont usually get more than a few weeks out of a pair of shoes on the roof.

I think the whole “couger paw” thing is kinda ridiculous. You can either work on roofs or you can’t.

I think if you be careful and use your head and do things the way they did them times ago i feel they are just a fad. I never used them. since retired no use. I am old school cushions and brackets and boards. measure from ground and thats it.

I don’t think cougar paws are a fad. They have been on the market since 1996. I have never used a foam pad, to slow. I still use the roof brackets though.

I have never measured a roof from the ground either. To me it looks unprofessional, its not accurate enough and only a salesman thats not a roofer would measure a roof this way. Why not measure the roof while your up their inspecting it? Now thats using your head.

yep, we can all roof without cougar paws , hell i can roof with out a nail gun or compressor either. I can even use a hand saw to cut lumber. I can walk instead of using my truck , but why would i ? Cougar Paws are just another tool , they are nice to have, they aren’t that expensive. They make things faster & safer on some steeper roofs , like any other tool sometimes we use them sometimes we leave them in the truck.

[quote]oldman_roofer
yep, we can all roof without cougar paws , hell i can roof with out a nail gun or compressor either. I can even use a hand saw to cut lumber. I can walk instead of using my truck , but why would i ? Cougar Paws are just another tool , they are nice to have, they aren’t that expensive. They make things faster & safer on some steeper roofs , like any other tool sometimes we use them sometimes we leave them in the truck.
[/quote]

I couldn’t of said it better myself.

thats what i was trying to say it just came out wrong.

we have this discussion on here every few months, and its always the same thing. lol

My ONLY thing with them, is that they do give you a false sense of security. I have seen several adjusters slide right down a roof. Get those things on older shingles with loose granules, and they might as well be leather sole dress shoes.

Old school will always over rule some new fangled thing when it comes to what has worked very well for over 100’s of years. Just my 2 cents