Cost to completely remove (& shingle over) a ridge vent?

Hi - I have a completely sealed attic (open cell foam on underside of roof sheathing & along all soffits, etc.) HOWEVER the foam installer left the ridge vents in place…in retrospect they should have advised me to first remove the ridge vents (as they no longer serve a useful purpose and can only serve to potentially let water into the foam which would make it hard for that water to ever leave the foam…) before doing the foam installation project.

Is it hard and/or expensive to hire someone to complete remove the ridge vent & just re-shingle over the roof? Can it be done 100% from the outside (I have 12" of hard foam on the inside so that’s not really an option)? I assume they need to rebuild the ridge of the roof with some wood since I believe that is removed when first installing the ridge vent, right?

My end goal is just to prevent the possibility of water getting in…if this is cost prohibitive with the above Plan A, I may just go Plan B & spray “Great Stuff” all along the ridge vent to effectively seal it off from the outside elements since I wouldn’t really know that water has gotten in until it makes its way through 12" of foam, which, by then, will mean I have some serious problems…

Shouldn’t be that big of a deal if it were cut in right and installed to begin with. Probably in the range of $6 to $8 per foot although that could vary depending on the area. I would not go up there and spray “great stuff” to seal it. If the ridge vent hasn’t leaked to date, no reason to expect it to start.

Thanks a lot, that’s good to know. I’ll get a couple of roofers in the area to give an estimate. And it hadn’t leaked prior to doing the foam project, at least not to my knowledge or where I was able to detect it… Just that this foam stuff really is a sponge so if it takes on any water, it will take a nice long hot summer to have it vapor diffuse back out the ridge or into the house…

I wouldn’t waste my $ on it. Ridge vent will not let water in if installed properly.

1 Like

Well 1 issue which I rectified was that there was no end plug and that is exactly where it did indeed leak through my foam and eventually onto my sheetrock ceiling where I saw the issue from a water stain. So rain was certainly blowing in there. I have since plugged up both ends. I also noticed there is no silicone bead along the base of the flashing (which I believe is needed to prevent water from blowing under the flashing into the house on extremely windy/noreaster days, so I plan on doing that next).

From what I can tell, the rest of the metal ridge vent looks ok (flashing all in place & bent up like it is supposed to be, no visible nail holes on the shingles, ridge vent is aligned & in place & solid to the touch everywhere)…

The only item that gives me pause is it’s one of those standard aluminum ridge vents & when I run my finger along the vent holes itself and they are always wet to the touch a day after it rains…I assume that’s 100% normal as very heavy rainfalls or on windy days you’ll inevitably get some blown against the vent holes, but capillary action wouldn’t suck the water further into the vent and into the house? What if it’s very fast rainfall, can’t the fact that the flashing is bent upwards trap enough water (if it’s very heavy) so that it accumulates & works up against the roof slope & sucked into the vent holes, again via capillary action or wind + lots of water accumulation? That’s the part that concerns me the most. Obviously I realize my physics must be off somewhere since if that were the case, there would be many more problems w/ leaking ridge vents…but just checking… I’m happy to provide a picture of mine if needed.

Yeah post a pic. We’ll tell you if we think it could be problematic.

1 Like

Here are several pics (of course it just started snowing… and I’m only allowed 1 pic per post so please look at the next few as well). Does anything look alarming? The gaps between the various vents? Do the shingles on top need to cover the flashing entirely? Can the water get blown into the gaps or gather in the flashing on a heavy pour and go up into the little holes in the vent?

Should I fill the gaps with this stuff? - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-3-4-in-x-7-16-in-x-10-ft-Black-High-Density-Rubber-Foam-Weatherstrip-Tape-R734H/100047977?MERCH=REC--pipsem--202066510--100047977--N

I got at least one estimate, going to get 2 more. First estimate was 2300 to remove the ridge vents (the one in the pic is ~16’ long above a house extension, I have the same style ridge vent on the rest of the house that’s approx 45’ long). That seemed a bit pricey…

If you don’t think it’s problematic outside of some minor items I can self-fix or plug up, that would save me a lot of $$…in fact, ripping out the ridge vent would basically add 4-5 years back to the payback timeframe for my insulation project in the first place! Argh…

imo,it would be much better overall to get rid of ridge vent and slap regular square vents that sold everywhere.you woulndt lose anything,those ridgevents get dirrty,etc etc. ,only for looks or if you have no trees around your house to get it clogged up.otherwise when i tear off ridge vent with some trees aroudn the house,no matter what type ,its always has debris all over and hardly pull in any air.
As far as i understand,majority of contractors pushing ridge vents as they cost arm and leg compare to vents not because its actually better.Because ive torn off over 500 roofs myself in those years with regular vents and havent seen any problems with them.
I didnt read ridge evnt phamplets or anything but my guess they are saving some if installed correctly because better airflow so less on cooling in summer ?
For diy it wouldnt cost 2300 but 150-300 and some tools,depends on your backyard mechanic skills.You have plenty of youtube vids to rely on.

The gaps are problematic for sure. Ridge vent is not supposed to be installed like that. The cap is not supposed to cover any more of the ridge vent on that particular style. If you start having to worry about small fixes to tighten up what you have you may as well spend the money and get it done right. Hard to say if that price is fair without knowing how he plans on closing everything up. I know we would be every bit of that but we are always on the high side price wise.

1 Like

I can’t tell from the pics if it is just a type of ridge vent i have never encountered before, or if the installed shingles over a type of ridge vent that isn’t designed to have shingles installed over it. I’m thinking its the second option.

But yeah, i’m not a fan of the gaps either. Hard to say if it will ever let any water in but it does raise more concern than my initial thoughts. Are all the ridge vents easily accessible (can you easily walk the roof to get to them)? If so, then I agree that $2300 seems pretty high for that job. I would be a lot less, however i know my overhead is far less than most.

It looks like Venturi-vent, a corrugated plastic product with thin aluminum baffles stapled onto it.

It disappeared from our local market 10 or more yrs ago, good riddance to it.

I see no reason to remove it so long as the caps are still in decent shape, Venturi-vent has holes on it’s top side.