Concerns about rooging in cold and rain

Our HOA contracted to do several asphalt shingle roofs as part of a major multi-year re-roofing project for roofs at end of life. The contractor was apparently overcommitted, and did not start until November, despite being contracted and deposit paid in early September. He stripped off the old shingles in late October/early November, and dried in with underlayment, then left the roofs sitting for a month of good weather, only to show up and install the shingles in the rain and snow of late November.

As a result, much of the work was done in the cold (below 40 degrees) and rain and snowfall. At various points, they were installing shingles in the rain and/or blizzards. The underlayment was laid down in sub-40 degree weather, often on top of cold and damp (from rain, light snow, or frost) decking, without priming. And then the shingles were stored outdoors bent over the rook peak in overnight freezing weather, and were often installed first thing in the morning in the sub-40 degree (or worse) cold and even rain. The overnight temperatures often dropped down to well below freezing. The roofers worked on and walked across the underlayment extensively (both the ice shield and synthetic felt), while it was dripping wet.

So… I am not an expert on roofs, I am a Board member. These practices are clearly in violation of both the shingle and the underlayment manufacturers’ specs, as well as the consensus of all the best practices guides that I consulted which universally specify roofing above 40 and dry underlayment. But I have no way of evaluating how important an issue this really is, and what are the possible consequences of these practices over the lives of the roofs.

I don’t even know how we can accept the work now in December, since the shingles are all wavy and won’t adhere at earliest until late spring.

Some of the Board members don’t want to make a fuss. “Other contractors in our area shingle year round” they say. “Roofs are done in places like Seattle where it rains all the time” they say. “It’s a small town and we don’t want to get a bad reputation with the few roofing companies” they say. In the process of spending a half million dollars of other people’s money, I’d like to be more certain we can rely on the work and stand behind our due diligence.

I believe the products were WIP 100 ice shield, Grip-right synthetic underlayment, and GAP Timberline shingles. Our two-paragraph contract is no help, so our only recourse is via a warranty of workmanship.

Advice welcome. Thanks.

Every large shingle roof I have been on has been poorly installed, so you are not alone here.

Merry Christmas.

1 Like

Rest assured, if those shingles don’t seal down and GAF knows when they were installed, GAF will not honor the manufacturer’s warranty. I would wait a few weeks and hire someone to check that the shingles have adhered. If they haven’t, I wouldn’t pay the contractor untill they do or are replaced.

I think it will be fine. We have done it before
Over the last 20 years we have done it because of unforeseen circumstances It should be fine

I’m in a similar situation and hadn’t heard about shingles “adhering” before. How do you tell if they are? Who would I hire to inspect?

I’ve installed probably 100 new construction roofs over wet felt or in the rain. The exact number of problems it has caused me is 0.

3 Likes

Adhering just means the glue strips stuck together. If installed in weather that is too cold, the glue won’t activate and the shingles won’t seal down. I’ve seen it many times in Indiana.

I’m gonna have to disagree with you this time authentic. I’ll agree that they won’t seal right away, but to my knowledge, i’ve never personally experienced any shingle I installed failing to seal down the road because they were installed wet or in too cold of weather.

The key is to nail is to nail it properly so it doesn’t blow off before it has a chance to seal imo.

1 Like

I’ve seen it up close and personal at least five to ten times here in Indiana. Most often has been 3 tabs but there were a few laminated. I don’t think moisture had anything to do with it. It’s the cold.

About 10years back I was doing some new construction and Tamko was the cheapest here at the time, so that’s what all the builders were using. I swear the ones we were getting at that time weren’t even sealed at the end of the day in 100 degree weather.

tamko is trashko ,loose granules every time you touch them turn 6/12 to 12/12 ,so you have to shake off sand of your shoes.

They have improved them since then (in my area at least), not that it’s a huge accomplishment. Still not my preferred brand but not my last choice anymore lol.