Capping looks slightly darker but should be the same color

Hey guys. I’m an experienced installer but newish to business. I bought charcoal colors for both the 3 tab capping and laminate shingles. When I stepped down the 3 tab capping looks sort of darker than the shines. Now usually all material is ordered for me, and ao I thought charcoal 3 tabs were the same color as laminates. Ive installed capping that looked slightly different but because this is my own job I seem very worrisome, and this could be just my paranoia.
Home owner didnt say anything. Said it looked good. I undersold myself and over worked myself on this job, dont want to come back to rip my capping.
I’m assuming it must have come from different factories. Or maybe I did mess up

Here are the 2 shinngles
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/gaf-timberline-hd-charcoal-lifetime-architectural-roof-shingles-33-3-sq-ft-per-bundle-/1000731181

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Marquis-WeatherMax-Charcoal-3-Tab-Roofing-Shingles-33-3-sq-ft-per-Bundle-26-pieces-0304180/207038425

Why did you use 3 tab shingles for cap with the laminated shingles? That’s likely the issue although it is a minor one to my eyes. I don’t believe there would have been a problem had the proper ridge cap been used.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they deliberately make the colors slightly off just so people aren’t more inclined skip buying their expensive hip and ridge shingles.

5 Likes

We usually cut our capping up here in Canada. I underbid this and am working for nothing, the seal a ridge.was 45 so i went with the 3 tab

Dang I didnt know that

I guess you got what you paid for then. Lots of roofers here in the States do the same thing. It is a poor way of installing a roof. Might be time to reconsider how you’re bidding jobs. If my profits relied on me using cut tabs for cap vs dedicated ridge cap, I’m out of business fairly quick.

3 Likes

Sometimes even the precuts dont match well.
Dont think too much about it,appears to be a shed.
As you know lots of guys dont use the matching caps on houses,dont be one of those guys.
Timberline are shit, but popular.

1 Like

Harlysocool,
It doesnt look bad.
But you always want to use the dedicated hip and ridge shingles( price be damned)
Reason why, is because this issue will still happen but it will be 10 Times less.
And you want to remove every obstacle that a real picky homeowner could throw at you.

Worst mistake of my career was under selling myself. Under estimating the material list.
Giving away my “extra” material to make the bid lower.
Under estimating the wood replacement time.
Under estimating the total labor cost.
And not asking for enough profit.

Start now and DONT do these things.
Over estimate the material list Every item
and charge full price for everything.
Over estimate your projected wood replacement.
I put at least 200 dollars worth of wood work into every estimate And that is if i think there is going to be no woodwork. I am usually wrong and there is almost always woodwork.
If you SEE a couple of places that need woodwork, that means there is going to be quite a bit of woodwork.
Over estimate the time it will take to do everything.

Even though you are very manly and you can do the whole job all by yourself, always estimate that you are paying someone else handsomely
Along with the workmans comp rate
And a stipend for liability insurance.
Then after all that, charge a significant profit.

3 Likes

@roof_lover Hey thanks for the detailed response. I was tossing in bed yesterday sore from the overwork I had to do put in (trips to get materials, ect) that I swore I’d never undersell myself again. Thanks for the advice

1 Like

I think about the cost of my jobs twice only. When I bid them and when I am through with them, job cost analysis. I NEVER consider dollars in the middle of a job because I believe that job should be done one way only to achieve what I’m trying to do. Job cost analysis in the middle of a job does not work for me.

3 Likes

Same here. I never guess a price, the calculator runs the numbers and that’s it. Last thing I want on my mind is money while I’m working…

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I was over thinking it. I pointed it out to the home owner, didnt mind at all or notice. Gave me 50$ extra.

Be your own worst critic. Nobody can talk dirt about your work.

3 Likes