Brand New Roof, Still Have Dipped Area

Hello! I just had my roof replaced, and I noticed there is an area with a weird slope/dip.
I believe I had a similar dip in the old roof, and assumed it would be related to sagging wood or something and be replaced.
The roofing company explained that it has something to do with the way my rafters are built in that area around my attic. Clearly they didn’t cause the problem, but is that an acceptably shaped surface to shingle?

0 Likes

If that is all
I saw, i would give him a pass.
I actually think the “rise” next to the chimney might be ok.
It is the “dip” between 4 and 6 ft away from the chimney that i find unacceptable.
That dip is way too big.
It is this laziness in workmanship
That makes me question what actually is going on next to the chimney.

0 Likes

The dipped area a few feet from the chimney is the spot in question.
So this looks lazy to you? Like something that should have definitely been somehow corrected before putting any shingles down?

Another shot, since new users can’t include more than one picture in the OP:

0 Likes

Yes, it should have been corrected.
That is a big dip.
I can correct a small dip by just adding shingles underneath laterally.

That dip i would have removed the sheeting and found out why the truss is not doing its job.

0 Likes

Did the roofer bring this to your attention and suggest a fix? It isn’t that expensive to pull a row or two of decking and change out a couple of rafters.

0 Likes

Never. I asked the quality inspector they sent about it afterwards. He agreed the dip was pretty big, but he checked in the attic to find the explanation and did not see fit to report it as an issue.

0 Likes

You said the dip was there before and it surely had to have been. Did you ask the roofer, prior to starting, about the dip and if they were going to fix it?

0 Likes

I’m not sure that I did, to be honest. I spoke to a handful of companies.

The quote described that they would charge extra for any rotten wood that needed replaced or any other unforseen work needed to install the roof.

I may have assumed that the dip was due to a problem with wood that would be replaced, or that if it were some other problem that would prevent the installation of a roof that they would be proud of, they’d address it. They’re the ones that have to fix it if there are issues in the next 10 years, right?

The invoice came, so I wanted to double check on my lingering concerns and it sounds like I may indeed have reason to be concerned. I get the impression this would be a lot harder to fix now that the roof was completed than it would to have fixed it mid re-roof though.

0 Likes

You know that assume (Ass U Me) thing, right? And no, they wouldn’t necessarily have to fix it. If it wasn’t part of the contract or scope of work, it’s not a workmanship warranty issue.

You are correct, to fix it now would likely require the shingles above the problem would area be ripped off and new ones installed.

To be clear, it is very possible that area will not leak, especially if it hasn’t before. It may remain a cosmetic issue only.

1 Like

Sounds like he knows what the issue is…

“but he checked in the attic to find the explanation and did not see fit to report it as an issue.”

Did u ask out of curiosity?

0 Likes

Sometimes things like that are more noticeable from the ground than on the roof. They may have not noticed that dipped spot at all.

0 Likes

Right or wrong- if it is just bad decking and my guys left if I would make them fix it at no additional charge.
If it’s rafters and a larger scope then we would need to be paid for it bc that extends beyond the normal scope of our roof contract.

Off topic. I always find it interesting the customers who inquire here what to do- I wonder why they don’t have the same simple conversation with the rep? I sure would want my customers coming to me about it instead of the internet. The last thing that will help situations like this is for a customer to say, “the people on the internet said…”

Maybe customers aren’t comfortable with their chosen sales rep. I feel that mine are with me. In my opinion most good sales reps want a happy customer and will make things right (within reason). So reasonably talk to them about what you want and see what they offer.

If that spot is going to bother you for one Second more, get it fixed. Whether it’s “free” or you have to throw them $500 toward it. No use in spending time stewing over it when there’s life to live :v:

7 Likes

Nice post Climb One!

1 Like

That is not just cosmetic. It looks like a flat valley has been created next to the chimney. Not sure why no one has brought it up but why is there caulking against the chimney?

0 Likes

Tileman, I sought advice from Reddit too and someone commented:

“There isn’t any step flashing. It appears they tried to silicone the seam along the sidewall. No bueno.”

So it sounds like I may have more issues than I realized.

0 Likes

Late to the post. Is the decking planks, or plywood?. I see a pretty uneven roof all over the photo. I also understand that a new paint job doesnt fix dents. The Reddit user is correct. Caulk is the last protection against leaks at the chimney. That’s a sad deal. I also know, I’ve had clients need a roof, but couldn’t afford the extras so I give them a roof and dont fix the crown down rafters. It all depends on what the agreement was. Lastly, it sure looks like plank decking.

0 Likes

You more then likely have flashing there. As you can see, they havr a variation of kick out flashing at the bottom of the chimney. Depending on where you are, I have seen it as a normal practice for roofers to caulk between the shingles and flashing. I dont get why they do it. The way step flashing is designed, that doesnt do anything. Not only does caulk seal water out but it also seals it in. And it has to find a way out, usually being the inside of your house.

0 Likes

I brought my concerns back to the owner of the roofing company and they indicated that they don’t care what the internet has to say. They basically stated that it’s common with a reroof to not go out of the way to rebuild rafters/decking that aren’t perfect, and that the flashing job is fairly normal, uses asphalt products, is done to make it watertight.

I am a bit shocked at the chasm between the comments here and the from the company. I did a lot of research and choose a company that has been open almost 20 years and has great reviews. I purchased the extended warranty and everything as well.

0 Likes

Bill,
It’s probably not your fault, unless you chose the low bidder. Years in business and reviews mean nothing. Some of the biggest hacks in our area have been in business 20-30 years and have good reviews. That is not good workmanship around that chimney.

1 Like

Tileman is right and of course this Contractor going to tell you that BS. Walk around your neighborhood and see how many roofs have that dip. I’ll bet you none of the guys responding you would have let one of their crews build the roof that way.

0 Likes