Atlas Pinnacle Pristine vs StormMaster Shake vs Owens Tru Definition Duration vs GAF Timberline

I do try to be cautious with all the reviews I read. My roofer, and everyone in this area seems to prefer GAF, but it was my roofer that brought Atlas to my attention and then I read many good things about their algae protection, the larger sweet spot for nailing, the starter row, things that sounded good. I had previously looked a bit at Certainteed Landmark because I read Certainteed was the best. My roofer didn’t seem to keen to use them, but I didn’t find out why. So, I get it. People have their opinions based on their experiences. I have seen some horrendous algae staining on roofs around here that I know are less than 10 years old. Maybe barely over 5. They are so black you wouldn’t even know what color they started as until you look at the south exposure. So, then I thought maybe I should really pay attention to reviews on the algae. So, quality, algae, colors/aesthetics… Which comes first. The roofing company I’m using has an excellent reputation in the area, and warranties all their work for 10 years. And he said that for the first 15 years, Atlas’s warranty is actually better than GAFs. He’s a GAF installer, so there would be that extended warranty, but I also can’t worry about things too far into the future. I may not even be in the house in 15 years. 10 years on workmanship should reveal any issues on that end.

Algae is not completely caused by the shingles lack of or the different uses of copper or other bacteria-fighting elements in the makeup of a shingle, ventilation is just as, maybe even more important than the shingle manufacturer. Learn more about a balanced ventilation system. The lack of proper intake vents and exhaust vents are the biggest cause of algae growth. Google “Balanced Attic ventilation” maybe add when replacing your roof. This knowledge is paramount when choosing your Roofing Contractor. If you learn about Ventilation you’ll figure out real quick what Contractor knows what he/she is talking about, again, find a factory trained roofing Contractor–VERY IMPORTANT

Go to www.lomanco.com for a pretty cool intake vent. On their site, they have 3 different videos explaining their venting product and balanced ventilation system that work perfect with GAF Cobra III Ridge vents.

Knowledge is Power and when you’re replacing one of the most expensive parts of your home… Be Wise or be Sorry.

Good Luck,
Barrett
SLM Residential Roofing Inc.
Spring, TX 77379

I know he plans to use the GAF Cobra ridge vent. I will ask about intake vents.

You want the ridgid plastic ridge vent, believe it is cobra 3, not the rolled type.

Took these pictures today.
I installed the roof less than 2 years ago
Yes, all this green is because a tree hanging over it.
Still disappointed.
Certainteed landmark burnt sienna

And they have a “10 year” warranty against algae.
Simular to others…

1. Do you have continious ridge vents with continous intake vents or soffit intake vents on both side or the backside? My guess is, if you have intake of any kind it’s on one side, usually the back of your house and not the front or you have none at all…balanced system is crucial and will help eliminate or at the least reduce bacteria growth.
  2. Or do you have gable vents cross ventilating? I didn’t see ridgeventgs in your pictures?
  3. If you have gable vents cap them off with plywood or osb on the attic side, install ridgevents and some type of intake vents front and back–soffit, undershigle (Lomanco Deck Air DA 4’s) or some sort of roof louver/vent as intake.

GAF Cobra 3’s they’re 4 feet long x 9" wide or 12" wide depending on what ridge shingle you use.

Hi Roofers! I haven’t dropped this project, just got too busy to send out some replies to you all.

I was wrong about the ridge vent our contractor plans to use. It’s the GAF Snowcountry, not the cobra.

We do not currently have ridge vents. We have 3 gable vents.

Will the gable vents not act as an intake vent once a ridge vent is installed?

Hi roof_lover!
I have now looked at 6 different full packs of shingles on the roof!
The 2 Timberlines you already saw in the photo.
Atlas Pristine Pinnacle Heather, Hickory and Sienna.
Owens TruDefinition Duration in Brownwood.

Atlas Hickory and Sienna are the front runners, with Hickory probably in first place. The fact its darker seems to be the tipping point, but the Sienna might be a prettier shingle… makes the decision hard.

The Owens Brownwood was way to crazy for our roof. I didn’t like the high contrast and the high variation in shingle tab width. On the right house it would be very cute, but not with already very busy/variable redwood siding.

I’m wondering if you’re familiar with the Atlas Pristine Sienna. The store did not have any customers who used it so I can’t see it in person on an entire roof. Just my sample.

I also got a sample board of the StormMaster Highland Brown and I was very disappointed because it’s very light. Lighter than the heather.

So far I think overall I have found I like the look of the Atlas and Certainteed Landmark shingles the most, as far as architectural shingles go, but I’m hesitant to even bother with the Landmark because of the algae staining and that my contractor would rather use Timberline or Atlas.

My favorite pick for your house is still the
Pristine Heather
Second would be the pristine Hickory.

Here is what the pristine sieanna looks like.

Thanks for those photos! Yeah, the Sienna is probably a little too orange and matchy with the redwood. It’s good on the house your showing though. Do you have any photos of the Heather? The only house around here I have an address for w/ the Heather roof faces north, and although I think it looks really pretty on that house, it isn’t drenched in sun like ours is.

How do you think the Atlas Heather compares with the Landmark Heather Blend? The Heather Blend was always on my list, then I started to think the Landmark Burnt Sienna would also be good. But, again, the algae with Landmark.

Over 20 years i installed mostly Certainteed landmark.
In all that time i installed heatherblend twice.
I didnt continue promoting the color because it was a disappointment.

Atlas Heatherblend on the other hand is a master piece.

Zoom in on pic. Try to ignore the ugly stained gutter guards and dont let it detract from its beauty.

Thanks for that. I’m going to have fun pasting it onto pictures of our house.

Notice the close up of the brick i took with the heatherblend.
Its the same color family scheme as your brick.

The light color in the shingle is going to show off your brick.
The dark color is going to show off that wood stained paint color you have on the siding.

The wood is actually natural redwood siding. No stain, no paint. It has gotten very dark due to extractive bleeding (resins in the wood coming to the surface) and I researched how to clean that up and restore it, which will be done once it’s warm again. The wood will lighten and the product I will use on it (Penofin) will even out the tone a bit and bring out more of the orange-red of the redwood. One of the reasons I’m being so careful in the roof decision is that the wood is a fixed element - I can’t change it. At one point I was looking for a very dark roof, something like Landmark Shenandoah, but that’s not a color they sell in this area. But, I thought a really dark roof would be a good contrast to redwood.

I see what you mean about the brick. I may revisit the Heather. It is pretty.

Color is personal preference. I prefer darker shingles with some light components that match the house and/or trim. At one time, I wouldn’t consider Atlas products. Now I’m a huge fan. I don’t believe there’s any question their algae inhibitor is superior to any other but only time will bear that out for certain.

The StormMaster shingle is very nice, I like the Slate look much better than the Shake version. We’ve installed a number of those. Good bang for the buck but still at least $40 more per square than the Pinnacle Pristine. Unless you get a big discount from your insurance or simply love the look, I wouldn’t pay the premium.

The reality is, finding a good Contractor to install the shingle is far more important than the brand you choose. Any of the shingles mentioned would serve you well if installed properly. If installed poorly, they will all suck. It really is that simple.

Do you all think that I should stick with Atlas shingles and not consider any of the others because of their better performance (and lifetime warranty) against algae staining? I’ve noticed the algae warranties for the basic Landmark, OC-Duration, Timberline, Tamko Heritage are all only 10 years. Landmark Pro is 15. I’m in southern NY- it is a pretty humid climate and I see algae stained roofs all over. So, I’m thinking, should I limit my choice because of this, or still take a look at some of the other’s if I thought they had a better color?

If you are concerned about algae stick to atlas

How long have they been making the Pinnacle Pristine with the Scotchgard? Have they been around long enough to demonstrate better algae resistance or at this point is it just expected to outperform because of the better technology (more copper, etc)?

I have a great supplier and they treat me well.
I am fortionate that i pay the exact same price for
Atlas, Owens Corning, GAF and Certainteed.
I can get Tamko, IKO a buck or two cheaper through another supplier if i wanted…
I ignore all rebates, sales, offers, promotions, super certificates…
I just want the best product period.

I would call any and all roofing supply houses
Within 50 miles and ask them what architect shingles they carry and how much is it a square?
Find out for yourself if there really is a 30dollar a square difference.
I say it is not.
Do your own research. Somethings off.
Find out why.