Atlas Pinnacle Pristine vs StormMaster Shake vs Owens Tru Definition Duration vs GAF Timberline

Hello roofers!

All the roofing contractors in my area seem to prefer GAF Timberline, and for a while I assumed they must be the best. After feeling disappointed with the colors/patterning I asked if he’d do something else. I was looking at Certainteed Landmark and Tamko and then he suggested Atlas. I started looking into it and liked a lot of the reviews I read and decided I’d go with it. I do like the shingle and colors better than Timberline. But, I was hoping for a really good dark brown to go with and maybe contrast a bit with redwood siding.

So, I noticed online that there is a color called Highland Brown in the Atlas StormMaster Shake. Does anyone know how the price compares to Pinnacle Pristine? Anything else to say about that line?

I was at Lowes tonight and I saw a nice brown from Owens Corning Tru Definition Duration, but I don’t see many rave reviews for Owens Corning and I think my contractor doesn’t like the brand.

Any thoughts on the brands, or suggestions for great dark brown colors, or any shingle color you think goes well with redwood siding on a small ranch style house, I’d love to hear them. I’m on the east coast btw. I mention that because I notice not all colors are sold everywhere.

Thanks!

I prefer certainteed landmark pro, but atlas is also a great single. I believe the main difference bewtween pinical and storm master is storm master is an SBS shingle good for impact resistance. OC is decent as long as you never need to do a repair after they seal because with the sure nail strip they don’t d me back apart. In my opinion gaf is the lightest cheap shingle out of everything you mentioned. The only time I use gaf is when we are matching existing.

Do you have any idea how all these shingles compare with regard to algae staining? What about the basic Landmark? So many roofs around here are black with algae, and I’ve noticed it a lot on the Timberline HD (mostly because I was driving around checking out those colors on houses).

What do you think of the higher end GAF products, such as the Presidential Shake?

IMO GAF should be avoided altogether, it’s low quality material at a premium price point.

If you have Malarkey in your area the Legacy shingle has scotch guard and is algae resistant.

I would agree with these pros - from my limited homeowner experience, I checked GAF shingles first in the store (Lowe’s carries a few lines). They seemed very light and thin to me. I decided the only thing I would use from GAF was their rigid vent, which seems to do a good job on our house and has decent reviews. And I could not find any suppliers locally for AirVent.

One thing I can say from personal experience working with OC Durations is that I do like the SureNail Strip - when I had to rip out misnailed shingles, it was much more difficult to remove. I don’t like the fact that 10% of shingles do not have the strip line up well with the double thickness where the nailing should be. As a matter of fact, most nails will be in the lower portion of OC strip with some shingles (about 10%) requiring the nail to be just below it to maintain OC recommended distance from butt edge and penetrate double layer. This defeats the purpose of SureNail strip. Another thing is their “re-designed” tar strip that is supposed to be discontinous - yes, it seems like they tried. But not sure if their tar machine at the factory is leaky, but the “discontinuous” strip is still connected by a thinner strip between the stripes. So imagine ====—====—====. The thin stripes will still seal and likely help trap any moisture. From that standpoint, I feel OC has a good plan, but poor execution and lack of quality control. Furthermore, one disappointing thing is how fragile the butt edge granule layer is - if you walk excessively on these shingles on even barely warm day, you will end up loosening some granules from the butt edge. Yes, it won’t be visible from the ground, but I imagine this will shorten shingle’s lifespan. Don’t even speak of a hot day, they get scratched very easily, so I had to invest in some project foam from Walmart to keep these shingles in pristine condition and still somehow ended up scratching a couple here and there.

Looking backwards, I do wish I considered Atlas Shingles. They seem to be well-reviewed and are around $130/square locally. OC Durations run around $80/square. I feel the difference is minimal, especially if you get better quality shingle. Aren’t Atlas shingles the ones that have a wider nailing area with greater double overlap? If so, this is another great benefit to them over OC. But of course, no personal experience with them.

Atlas is best shingle out there along side malarkey for algae.

OC with sure nails strip are the worst shingles hands down to repair. Most markets atlas pinical should be the same price as certainteed/gaf/oc. When we were using them here in pa they were actually cheaper than the big names by 4$ a sq.

Interesting about the price. The Atlas Pinnacle is $30 for a pack (is that 1/3 a square?), and at Lowes I saw the OC Duration for $38/pack. I also got the feeling when I picked up the Atlas pack to see on the roof, they said it was less than the Timberline. I wonder if things are just priced differently in different places.

No Malarkey out here. I’m on the east coast - NY to be specific. And all the roofers come over with Timberline samples and it took me a while to realize there were other options. My contractor pointed me to the Atlas after I told him I wasn’t really liking the look of the Timberline (the way they do their color shading).

But what I don’t find in any of these shake styles is a really good dark brown. I see it in the higher end shingles - Presidential Shake for example - but, I think they get too expensive.

Presidential is a good shingle but also the most labor intensive shingle on the market to install. You will be paying more for the material and as much as double the labor to install it correctly.

Brown’s were hot in the 90s, everybody wants more neutral today the manafactures follow the trend.

I think a lot of houses would look really good with a good dark brown that doesn’t go too red or purplish. Brown/black mixes are really good too. I’m not so into all these neutrals I see. And neutral is never really just neutral. There’s always some undertone that dictates.

Anyway, onto brands. I’m feeling pretty sold on the Atlas because of the algae issues and also I like the slightly larger shakes. I think that looks good. But, I think Certainteed Landmark offers the most and maybe best colors. And I’ve seen Tamko Heritage actually has quite a few brown tones. So, it wasn’t in my original question, but any comments on Tamko Heritage? I know you said Atlas Pinnacle would be the best for algae protection, but do you think Landmark is better than others (Timberline, OC-Duration etc) for algae?

GAF HD
Their dark brown looks real nice.
Not too happy about their wimpiness
And small nail line.

Certainteed Landmark Burnt sienna.
Looks real Good!
Good quality
Small nail line.
Agae after 6 years.

Owens corning duration
Copied Certainteeds burnt sienna
And made it look even better and more vibrant!
Perhaps the best looking shingle in this color scheme.
Kinda defective if you ask me.
Their algae resistance might be slightly better than certainteeds.
I wont use them anymore unless a customer insist.

Atlas pristine
The best mechanics of all the shingles in question.
The only manufacture that cares about algae.
ThIs shingle in the dark brown is more of all the same color, very little variation in this color scheme.
It still looks pretty good.
This shingle should not be pricing 30 dollars higher than others…

Now the storm master—- it should cost 30 dollars more a sq.
I am betting their dark brown is much more attractive.
I am thinking awesome…
Get that if you can!!!

Wow, thanks for that summary. I hope I can get hold of the Atlas StormMaster in the Highland Brown. The local place doesn’t have it, but if I can find it within a 40 minute drive, I’m picking it up tomorrow. I will let you know. From the website its hard to tell if its a medium brown or dark brown. I wish it had some black going on in it.

You didn’t mention Tamko. No one has. The Heritage line has at least 4 different browns. At what point does one select for color over quality? I hope the Atlas works out colorwise.

I dont use tamko mainly because most of their colors are uneventful.
They do have a few colors i like but are difficult to get.
Also i have had lot# issues with them that broke the camels back.
If i have to research the lot # before every shingle that hits the roof, i’d rather not use that manufacture.

Certainteed has always looked good and it didnt matter which way the roofer shingled it…
Or the day the shingle was made.
I am hoping for the same experience with Atlas pristine pinnacle
But i am not holding my breath.
No shading” Issues yet.

Rosie, can you please post a photo please.
Atlas pristine pinnacle “hickory”is the dull color.
But the “heather” will make your jaw drop gorgeous with variation.

I agree that the heather is a really gorgeous shingle, but I don’t think it’s right for our house, so I will post a photo. I think it’s a little too pale and has too much pink in the undertones to go with the natural redwood siding. The siding has gotten very dark and will lighten up a lot after we clean it and after putting penofin oil on, it should be restored to a color that goes more to the orange tones. The siding also had a lot of color variation in it and so I thought its ok for the roof to not have too much color variation in it. But, I saw the Hickory on a house and thought that was a bit on the purple side. I wouldn’t mind something with more blacks and browns, but I might not get that with Atlas. The store near me is getting the sample boards of the Atlas StormMaster Highland Brown and Burnt Sienna tomorrow. The first picture has 2 samples from Timberline (Barkwood and Hickory) and the second picture are 2 Atlas samples.

These pics are great!!
I am in love with color schemes as you are!
You are really investing the time and money to make sure it is going to look great.
( some one is)
And i admire that.

I have to say that every color you chose to sample up there will look good when you are done.
Not one of them was a wrong color choice
But i think you are underestimating the beauty that the Heather would bring to your home.
You are thinking it might be too light.
I am telling you that when your friends and family come over they are going to think you built a new house, it is going to look SO good.
It is perfect with your brick.
Your house would not just “match”
It would be magazine fine…

On the other hand, i see that the hickory from the Atlas plant near yall has a little more variation in it and looks real nice also.

Wow, thanks for your enthusiastic feedback! I feel its a very visible roof, since the house is lower than the street, and it is an important decision. An expensive one too! Are you a roofer? This is a fun forum, nice to get technical and aesthetic input.

It’s interesting though how the colors/look changes so much when an entire roof it covered and with the exposure. This house faces west, and things seem to look lighter but also more golden/orange. For example, the Barkwood sample just looked like peach to me and I really didn’t like it.

I’ll look at the other 2 sample boards tomorrow and see what I can tell from them. I’d rather cough up the 30 bucks and throw a whole pack on the roof, but they don’t have any in stock. They might have the Sienna, in which case I’ll take a look. I wish the Hickory had more dark and even black shakes in it. But, I agree with you that both would look good, but I’m not sure the heather has the earthy tones I envisioned. We’ll see.

Rosie here is a link to GAF’s Virtual Home Remodeler it may help you choose a color.

https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roof-design/gaf-home-remodeler

You can download your pictures to the VHM and choose any one of GAF’s shingles, click, then apply the GAF shingle of your choice to the photos of your Roof picture. Check out the GAF Timberline “American Harvest” Collection of colors, they may work for you or at least give you more options.

There are differing opinions that we will all have as Contractors as to the “Best” Shingle Manufacturer. The most important aspect of replacing your roof is the Contractors Qualifications/Affiliation with a Manufacturer. Find a Contractor that is going to replace your roof with a Manufacturers “Roofing System”, make sure to include the best-upgraded Warranty that Manufacturer offers (cost should be minimal compared to benefit), and it’s installed per those specifications. Spend a little time knowing what the Contractors scope of work and obligations are when installing a “Roofing System” and how it affects the Warranty to qualify for those upgraded Warranties. You’ll have facts, not opinions, you’ll know what Manufacturer’s best for your needs.Visit GAF.com to start, then look at all the others website, OC, Atlas, Certainteed etc

Did you know? Online ratings don’t give the whole story for any shingle brand. Ratings on the brand’s website are unrealistically high, posted by happy customers in the first few months after installation – too soon to know how durable the shingles are.

Ratings on review sites are disproportionately low. Unsatisfied customers look for the chance to criticize the shingles. For example, on one prominent review site, Atlas received 49% 5-star ratings, 49% 1-star ratings and 2% in between. People love them or hate them. Yet, the brand was rated in the top few brands reviewed on the site.

We should also mention that Atlas, like other manufacturers including CertainTeed, GAF, Owens Corning and IKO, has been the subject of a class action lawsuit.

The suit against Atlas involved the Chalet line of shingles, no longer produced. The class action was dismissed. Some homeowners filed individual suits with various outcomes.