Asphalt, Fiberglass, or Rubber

Our Michigan organic asphalt roof lasted 20 plus years. Large national roofing outfit is telling me those shingles are no longer and they want to up sell me to an SBS rubber modified asphalt roof for a premium. They said that all shingles today have a fiberglass backing and the granules determine the shingle rating (more asphalt granules = longer life). They say that unless I get the rubber roof I will be in the market for a new roof in 12 years. Any of you roofing pros care to comment and educate?

what is the pitch of the roof?

6/12

Perhaps your ventilation is not working correctly.

30 yr Certainteed or Gaf/Elk shingles will last well over 20 years in Michigan’s climate.
No real need for Modified on a 6/12.

Thanks Marshall Exteriors and Axiom(N. Mich) for the advice. I definitely have ventilation issue, I painted the soffits and didn’t realize how this would obstruct the vent holes (I’m a dumb arse I know).

The real questions I’m hoping you pros can answer is this roofing sales person’s claims that:

1. I cannot get any type of shingle that will last as long as my organic shingle and I’ll be replacing my roof in 12 years (even with the ventilation issue resolved)

2. Fiberglass backing shingles are the only product on the market outside of SBS rubber

3. By doubling up on roof vents I can circumvent the soffits which are mostly plugged.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can share!

1. False

2. False

3. False

[quote=“rocco”]

1. I cannot get any type of shingle that will last as long as my organic shingle and I’ll be replacing my roof in 12 years (even with the ventilation issue resolved)

FALSE: Metal Roofing. I would reccomend the Meridian style metal roof system…there is also Decra, it is a Steel Granualated shingle. and a Synthetic Slate roof system as well…

1. Fiberglass backing shingles are the only product on the market outside of SBS rubber

FALSE: Metal Roofing, EPDM, ECT…I wouldnt suggest a “Flat Roof” system on your 6/12 pitched roof!!..I would suggest asphalt archetectural 30 year algea resistant shingle with the proper soffit intake and ridge vent out take…but if your not wanting the fiberglass backing and looking for a long life then go for the metal roof system.

1. By doubling up on roof vents I can circumvent the soffits which are mostly plugged.

FALSE: This will cause some ventelation but during the seasonal changes , especially with the wacky weather we have here in america!!!, I would highly suggest R&R (Remove&Replace) of all soffit vents and installing ridge vent, if you dont like the ridge vent style then I would go with turbines…or possibly low profile vents…

Hope this helps…Good luck.[/quote]

Axiom make gweedo laugh.

gweedo.