LOL Thanks for the constructive advice.
You obvisouly didnt bother to read all of my posts to get the wholestory.
Ok, one more time for those who are a little slow. or who have not taken the time to read all of my posts to get the whole story…
- I had 6 estimates done…this guy’s was NOT the cheapest…but his WAS the MOST concise and detailed, with product names and grades…prices for my skylights CLEARLY listed out and not just buried in a one-price-for-all deal. I know what I am paying for each thing.
- ALL estimates were in the same ballpark on the roof…I went with one of the middle guys.
- One of the guys who had a higher price, I went to look at his work and it was TERRIBLE.
- The lowest price guy 's work was OK but he was $1,000 more for the 3 high-end skylights I am getting.
- This “fly by night loballer” has been around for a documented 10 years under his own name at the same address and is listed on the BBB as satisfactory with no issues…provided me references from 5 years ago as well as a few months ago…And every one of the contacts LOVED this guy’s work. I saw 5 of this guy’s previous roofing jobs, one of which is his own personal home which he builtfrom theground up.
I really wish I could see the references and estimates you guys slamming this guy would give me.
I have found that its usually the guys who slam the others that are the ones who have the sub-par work or the truly shady business practices, for all the high and mightiness they have.
I have seen the very same exact behaviour in the video production forums I participate in…these so-called “professionals” who have a storefront somewhere that have to price themselves high in order to keep that storefront and complain that the smaller guys like myself who work from their homes, have low overhead and can in turn charge lower rates are somehow bastardizing the video industry and cheapening it. Like THEY are the only TRUE professionals because theycharge more. Meanwhile their work is barely on par, themselves.
Just the fact that I continue to feel good about my choice in contractor at this point after all the haranging I have gttoen over him indicates to me (a very paranoid sort) that I made a good choice.
I wont be truly happy til the roof is done and I see what I get, but I am as comfortable as Ican be at this point.
Frankly, I find criticizing and condemning someone you have never met, basing your opinion of him on just a couple pieces of the story to be about the most UNprofessional and bigoted way to behave I could imagine…those offering such pithy comments as “fly by night lo baller” have offered no realy advice or help. Kind of makes me wonder about THEM to be truthful.
I have done my homework on this guy to the best of my ability…I put each of 6 contractors under the microscope. AT least if I get screwed I can say that I did my best.