Anyone near Rochester, NY (East 30 minutes) interested in helping me do my roof?

So after 3-4 years researching roofing I have decided this is likely the year for me to do it. I wouldn’t mind some help from an experienced roofer.

I would consider paying someone outright but I can’t justify paying what roofing companies want to charge.

Combined square footage of both roofs Main house and “attached garage” is 15 sq roughly. Somewhere around a 5.5 to 6 pitch. Main roof has 3 vent pipes and that’s all. No weird angles or anything, flat on all sides.

I had one quote 3 years ago from a business that is actually a member here and I think because I said I would pay in cash he greatly overcharged me ($7,000). Based on his description on how he was proposed to built my deck I am horrified at the quality he would have done on my roof.

Not to get too side tracked but he wanted to charge me over 7k to build me a deck where he said he would bury the post with dirt. He as well stated installing a ledger board and at some point during his sales pitch mentioned I did not need a ledger board. I ended up doing the job myself “freestanding” for like less than 2K and I spent $500 alone just on concrete footers, which he was just going to back fill with dirt.

I guess I shouldn’t let that one person drive me away from getting quotes from other people but I really just want make sure it all gets done right. I want 6 nails in each shingle, proper ice and water shield, higher weight felt paper and so on.

My last time I did an estimate on material cost it was around $2000 and about $400 or so for a dumpster for the removal of 1 layer of shingles and old paper down to plywood.

I can’t bring myself to pay $5000 in labor. If I can get the materials for $2K then business with accounts can get them cheaper than me.

I personally would pay like $5000 to get the job done but not more than that. $7,000 is absurd in my opinion.

I’d like to know the name of the member
So i can remember him fondly as someone who knew what he was doing.

My price would be the same!

2 Likes

If you cant justify the “extra” $5000 (more than just labor; Overhead, insurance, taxes etc…), why do you need a roofers help? Sounds like you need a roofer to do it for you. I would not help someone in this predicament. The minute it leaks, who are you calling? Or would you just complain about the roofer that helped you out.

2 Likes

I am confident I can do the job. I would like some help as I’m sure an extra set of hands would make it easier plus it would greatly decrease the time my roof is exposed. I would rather not have to tarp it multiple times if I could help it in case it rains. Doing it by myself I’m guessing it would take me an easy week. But yes on a side note it would be nice to have someone with more experience help me as there is a possibility I could do something wrong or there might be an easier way I don’t know of.

If nobody wants to help me that is fine. Like I said I would pay $5000 for someone else to do the entire job but based on what I make and time I think it would take for me to do the job I can’t justify paying more than that.

I have no problem paying someone what they are worth. I personally only want to pay the roofing worker, not a business owner, secretary, and everyone else. I am capable of ordering supplies on my own.

Plus reading stuff on this forum has really made me realize paying a company is foolish (if you can help it) because even if something goes wrong nobody wants to take responsibility for it.

I think you misunderstand that just because someone charges what you would, that doesn’t mean they know what they are doing and or doesn’t mean it is quality work.

If you think charging people for stuff they don’t need and doing work the cheapest, fastest, worst way possible is quality then we use different dictionaries.

You almost hired a roofer to build a deck for you.
And complained that he must not know how to do a roof correctly since you are better at building a deck than he is.
Did you want an expert roofer or an expert deck builder?
I’d say usually you cant be both.

I gave my polite opinion that his price was in line. Not outrageous!!
Sorry you dont like my opinion.
And now my quality is in question.

I think more likely it it is going to be the quality of your roof that is going to be in question.

1 Like

No you are misunderstanding me. I contacted a company that does more than just roofing. At that time I was mainly looking to get a deck built not a roof done but he wanted to give me a quote anyhow. From my understanding they have people who build decks, people who do windows/doors, people who do roofs and so forth.

Based on my knowledge of decks at the time I was not impressed at all at with what he was proposing be done as compared to what I considered quality. I even asked him about certain aspects of the deck building and instead of offering to do what I had mentioned he said my way was not better. Sorry but never will burying wood post in dirt so they can rot apart be better than dropping concrete footers and setting post on them.

The person who came was a salesperson and owner of the company. He doesn’t do the real work, he takes measurements and gives quotes. Being the owner/salesperson he is looking to profit the most he can by selling the cheapest job possible for the most money.

I mentioned quality because you said since he charged what you do, then they must do quality work. You should likely have more information before you make assumptions like that. I do not know what quality they do for roofs but the fact this guy was selling me the cheapest lowest quality way of building a deck for the most expensive money and charging me to do work he didn’t need to do, I shall believe he would be doing the same for the roof job.

His quote was extremely basic. It mentioned Gaf timberline shingles and the rest was generic. It never said what weight felt or anything. I shall assume his company uses the least amount of nails, lowest felt weight, and cheapest drip edge possible. Whatever they can do to maximize profit in the least amount of time for the least amount of money.

You make some good points and seem to have a good understanding of what is involved but the costs of doing business and profit margin do not seem to enter into your equations.

If you wish to not have to pay for others overhead you can certainly do it yourself.

I understand cost of doing business and profit margin. It is usually just more than I care to pay for. I don’t mind paying for people who do work, paying someone who sits back collecting a check while others to do the work, I’ll pass. Even though I have never roofed before the amount of research and time I have done over the past 3 years I feel like I have roofed.

I posted a local FB ad and I think asking for help is a waste of time. I had someone say he would do it all for 5K. I asked “What weight felt and what about step flashing?” Just to get an idea of who I was dealing with. He replied “I use synthetic felt I like it better then regular felt . I’ll ice and water up walls then reflash the entire wall”

It sounded good until I asked if he was only interested in doing it by himself and replied “Yea would prefer to do it with my guys would be done in a day”.

I’m not sure I want someone who gets it “done in a day”. I find it hard to believe he can tear off both roofs, shingle them, remove siding for reflashing and get all that done in 1 day. I mean I guess if he has like 5 guys or more come and he has guys doing both roofs at the same time it’s possible. However this guy has no website and said he gets work from word to mouth.

I am more confident in my ability to do a slower job. I simply wanted help for things like chalk line and rolling out paper and such, plus two people nailing would make it go much faster. It will be fine, I think I will be happier doing it all by myself anyhow.

You are the kind of guy who ends up paying for the same roof twice or gets sued by an uninsured helper who injures himself. Why don’t you determine a pay scale for all of us who have to deal with employees, recessions, OSHA regulations, etc. Please let us know what we deserve to make.

"I understand cost of doing business and profit margin. It is usually just more than I care to pay for. I don’t mind paying for people who do work, paying someone who sits back collecting a check while others to do the work, I’ll pass. Even though I have never roofed before the amount of research and time I have done over the past 3 years I feel like I have roofed.

I posted a local FB ad and I think asking for help is a waste of time. I had someone say he would do it all for 5K. I asked “What weight felt and what about step flashing?” Just to get an idea of who I was dealing with. He replied “I use synthetic felt I like it better then regular felt . I’ll ice and water up walls then reflash the entire wall”

It sounded good until I asked if he was only interested in doing it by himself and replied “Yea would prefer to do it with my guys would be done in a day”.

I’m not sure I want someone who gets it “done in a day”. I find it hard to believe he can tear off both roofs, shingle them, remove siding for reflashing and get all that done in 1 day. I mean I guess if he has like 5 guys or more come and he has guys doing both roofs at the same time it’s possible. However this guy has no website and said he gets work from word to mouth.

I am more confident in my ability to do a slower job. I simply wanted help for things like chalk line and rolling out paper and such, plus two people nailing would make it go much faster. It will be fine, I think I will be happier doing it all by myself anyhow."

That guy that has no website and gets all his work through word of mouth is probably one of the best roofers in your area.

2 Likes

I resemble that bolded last sentence.

2 Likes

I was not looking for uninsured help that was why I expressed wanting an experienced roofer. If I didn’t feel I could do the job “correctly” I wouldn’t do it. I do plenty of car repair work but I’m not going to be pulling an engine as that is above my comfort level.

Do I think I can do a flat gable 6/12 roof that has 3 vents? Yes I do. Do I think I can get on a 10/12 roof that has valleys and trapezoid design windows and all sorts of extras? No I don’t and I wouldn’t attempt a job like that.

I fully intend on taking pictures of my work through-out the job. I am confident my job will be professional quality. I’m sure many of you are worth good money. As long as you are on a roof working that is. If you are sitting on a boat just getting checks, well that’s “overhead” I’m not interested in paying for.

For simple roofs such as mine I am confident I can do it. For more advanced roofs that is when I would feel the need to call in a “professional” to do all the work.

What this thread was designed for was me looking for an experienced “insured” roofer who would be willing to help me so that I could save money by doing the work myself. The problem with this scenario is I’m sure I would be viewed as a liability and people on the level I would want help from would not want to do the job with me and I understand that.

I’m not trying to say you guys are not worth what you charge, I am saying “some” people have overhead I’m not going to pay for no matter what. Plus for this job I want to save hourly wage as well by doing the work myself. If I had a harder roof I would then be more interested in paying a good roofer to do the work. I would still avoid companies like I called three years ago. I see no point in paying a roofer who works for someone else. I rather cut out the middleman and pay the “real” roofer directly.

Let me post something I ran across years ago. Reading stuff like this just irritates me. I do not agree with it at all. I’m sorry but as someone who has worked hard his whole life to make a living, I’m not one to think people who work hard should be paid less then people who don’t work.

Grumpy has been a member here for a very long time and we know him well, he knows what he is talking about and what he said there is 100% spot on.

1 Like

These are the type of homeowners I say yea ill send you a quote and never do lol… These people will never realize the risk we all take

1 Like

The risk you would take on my roof is the same risk I will be taking. I am aware of the risk of working on a roof.

I am curious how many of you commenting in here physically go on a roof and do the work as compared to how many of you send other people out to do the work and write yourself a check for providing the worker?

On a side note you guys must think I expect you to work for $10/hr. That was not my intention. My intention was not to pay a full crew. I want to do the physical work and save money.

Get to work son, with all these messages you could have already been done with at least (1) slope by now.

2 Likes

I work on the roof daily, I’m not a salesman.

As a business owner who works on the roof at every job, I pay $11k a year in liability insurance, and pay between 8-12% workers comp on top of that for any insurable earnings (labour costs). So I need to rake in about 20K a year just to break even. And the worker should make more than the business owner? Who do you think worked their ass off all the years prior to afford the $50K in equipment to be able to create these jobs? Also who replaces the tools and equipment when they break or maintains them? I do. So yeah, I really don’t make a lot of money as a business owner when all is said and done. If you want someone insured and qualified, it’ll cost you.

1 Like

Here in florida to hold a roofing license
You have to pay to go to school
And pass very difficult tests.
Lots of math and word problems not associated with roofing.
Not just once and your done either…
Every Two years…