Am I bidding to low

i bid 129 and up on new construtcion and 225 and up on reroofs low slope 180and 350 for 12/12 i am currious as i am moving to atlanta area next week whats the rate there? Thanks

your rates are a few years behind in my area.

It would be WAY too low for eastern Mass. It seems some roofers in some parts of the country undervalue themselves and have professional low self esteem and charge what scraps the customers or builders are willing to give them. Then the higher end roofers mistakenly think they have to be near there prices. Its a loose loose.

Just wondering how you plan to move a roofing bussiness that many states away? Don’t you have customers were your at now?

dont sell price…sell quality and trust, and you will be able to charge as much as you want.

Some times I’ll go in and give a home owner a sweet deal on a roof IF I know I can go in and do their neighbors and friends at full price.

Took a gamble this Spring on a good refferral of a home owner who wanted to commit insurance fraud. Being a four piece 3/13 I went cheap. So far have done three full insurance jobs and have bids on three more as a result of doing one roof cheap.

If the home owner is friends with a lot of people it’s a good idea to give them a good deal and take good care of them.

Did an insurance job last year and now are doing the two houses across the street and one two houses down, all are aproved. The one home owner said, “If Roxanne hired you that’s all I need to know, could you do all three of us back to back to back?”

[quote=“dougger222”]Some times I’ll go in and give a home owner a sweet deal on a roof IF I know I can go in and do their neighbors and friends at full price.

Took a gamble this Spring on a good refferral of a home owner who wanted to commit insurance fraud. Being a four piece 3/13 I went cheap. So far have done three full insurance jobs and have bids on three more as a result of doing one roof cheap.

If the home owner is friends with a lot of people it’s a good idea to give them a good deal and take good care of them.

Did an insurance job last year and now are doing the two houses across the street and one two houses down, all are aproved. The one home owner said, “If Roxanne hired you that’s all I need to know, could you do all three of us back to back to back?”[/quote]

My thoughts on this subject has always bee: You dont want to be known as good AND cheap. One or the other, I say. Hopefully the former.

If you go cheap and get referrals in order to get others,usually the others will say" How come you did theirs so much cheaper???"

I have work here i have benn her for 17 years i have bought a home in atlanta and am moving with my family to enjoy warm weather for a change now i only sell roofs installing is a must for me to put my bags on any more my knees are thrashed and im ready to enjoy selling roofs as i am good at it but am always open to suggestions from you long timers . I am a reddy form estimator and they are my preferred bid sheet .I specialize in rediential new and reroof.

thank you all for your time

Greg Anderson

That occured once. I pointed at the home owners house and the house I did across the street and said, “Look at the size of that roof now look at your house, your roof is a lot bigger than that one”.

[quote=“AaronB.”]

[quote=“dougger222”]Some times I’ll go in and give a home owner a sweet deal on a roof IF I know I can go in and do their neighbors and friends at full price.

Did an insurance job last year and now are doing the two houses across the street and one two houses down, all are aproved. The one home owner said, “If Roxanne hired you that’s all I need to know, could you do all three of us back to back to back?”[/quote]

My thoughts on this subject has always bee: You dont want to be known as good AND cheap. One or the other, I say. Hopefully the former.[/quote]

My reputation used to be that I was, “Good and affordable”. Running as owner operator this was easy, low overhead and high work volumne. Now with more insurance work that I can handle no longer bidding low on non-insurance work. On every insurance job I bid I’m way more than any other roofer and quite a bit more than the adjuster figures. Of course my numbers come from Xactware so $300-400 a square is the norm on one layer roofs.

There is nothing wrong with being good and cheap, as long as your comfortable with your profit margin.

Take for example my dentist. My family has been seeing the same dentist for over 15 years. He charges 1/3 on average what the going rate is for dental work. My father asked him years ago why he’s so cheap, this is what he told him. “My father was a doctor when times were tough, people didn’t have money back then. They’d trade chickens, cows, etc. for medical care if they had something to trade. If they didn’t have something to trade he’d still see them”.

He went on to say that his father owned a candy shop and after getting every teeth filled with no novacaine or gas he decided he wanted to be a dentist. He still works on his wifes teeth with no gas or novacaine.

My dentist works Monday to Saturday 9am to 9pm and hasn’t seen a new customer since the 90’s. Even though he’s a third the price I bet he makes a lot more than the average dentist, look at his hours!!!

And yes, he’s a good dentist. Only problem is he’s usually out three weeks.

I’m just wondering if you are getting those prices in the Atlanta area?I am new here so hello everyone.I have been reading the postings for a while and know there is a ton of knowledge here.

Its just basic math that you can charge more money work less volume, and still make the same or more $ than the poor fool killing himself that never takes a vacation. Work smarter not harder.

best advice ever given on this site

a licence,
a company
$200 a sq off/on.

im just gonna have to do somethin else.

gweedo

dougger,that`s not always the case,or the point-doing one job cheaply w/ the intention of getting the other jobs for the right price usually backfires on you because the homeowners usually speak to one another :roll:

Don’t leave out the possibility of the HO asking for “extras”…

==============
“Would you mind doing this and that as well?”

“As long as you’re here, can you hang my Christmas Star / Christmas Lights / Dish Antenna?”

Or, the other end…the call back.

“I think I see some gravel coming off my brand new roof, I want a new one under warranty.”

“There’s damaged shingles up there” (and when you investigate, you see that they were walking around on it in 110 degree heat…slipping and sliding around tearing up their own roof to “check your work”.

I’m extrapolating this from my own experience supporting people’s PC’s. I give a damn good price and the call backs kill me. Come to find out, usually they’re leaving off something they installed afterwards and now can’t get running and equate that to something I did. Then, when you explain and try to charge, the fight is on…

That’s why I doubled my onsite price. To cover the inevitable.

Gweedo:

Do you have info of the new re-roofing requirements that went into effect oct, 2007? I am interested in the
rules of the road for houses that have a market value of less than 300k.

I understand that for over 300k and older than xxxx year you need to remove sheathing on load bearing walls and tie the trusses/rafters with hurricane clips??

Any info appreciated.

Thanks BobFlyer Panama City, Fl