Adjusters not paying for meter mast disconnect and reset

Guys

Adjuster told me they use split boot on meter mast and do not pay to disconnect and reset. This common practice? I can understand the split boot to make installing work however roofers are still working around a power wire that is hanging a couple feet off the deck. What has been your experience?

O.S.H.A. says they’re supposed to be rubber booted from the electric co. but nobody does it for a one or two day job. I generally toss .060 epdm rubber over the burndy connectors & wires. Too many times in my early days my sweaty elbow would come in contact with one of them damn burndy’s & get zapped! Oh, did you mean the boot, jack, or flashing? Screw the ins. co. use the old one. Slap some Karnak on it. F/N ins. co.'s!

Don’t everyone answer at once :shock:

It seems like one of those line items people would try to charge for but never actually do.

It is a very good point and one which I have argued for many many times. The OSHA guidelines require a worker to not be within 6’ I believe and therefore it is necessary to d&r at an Xactimate price of about $350. I understand that the field solution is a blanket many times but if OSHA is adhered to, and it should be adhered to, the only solution is d&r, to my knowledge.

As a PA I am always successful at getting these types of items included in the scope with very little push back. I am very aware that adjusters rarely include this when dealing with a contractor and I am not really surprised, as most contractors do not actually do these things. However just because a contractor takes a safety shortcut on his own decision is different than being forced to in order to be profitable. Just like the addition of harness fees or safety gear, this is an item the insurance companies can get away with not paying. The byproduct of this is that they have created a market where a contractor who pays workers comp and adheres to OSHA is priced out of the market.

Joe Grasso
Grasso Public Adjusters
TX / OK / NJ
855-247-2776

1 Like

Great points.

Thanks

Getting paid for a meter mast detach and reset is typically contingent on the insurance carrier and the type of adjuster you are dealing with. More often than not it gets approved with the appropriate reasoning, if it is not approved than typically the split boot will be approved to compensate. It is going to be more difficult to get approved from a field adjuster than an in-house adjuster from our experiences.

Seems to me like a split boot is not like kind and quality and should not be used. The electrical mast head needs to be removed by a licensed electrician and a real jack installed

If the line is over the roof I usually don’t have a problem getting insurance to pay to detach and reset, it is a serious hazard for the installers. I have only had to send the OSHA requirements one time - most of the time if you explain it right, the adjuster will understand why it needs to be detached during the roof replacement. On one occasion I did have to send in the electrician invoice for detaching and resetting, but they did pay for it - and incidentally paid more than Xactimate pricing.