A tale of woe from a homeowner.....LONG read

Job is sloppy,I.M.O. and a major thing that stands out to me is the lack of I&W shield on bottom edge…It looks like 24" to 36" overhangs, w/36" I&W …looks like you have no code inspection,and enforcement there…lol I&W must be 24" beyond the inside of the exterior wall…this requires 44"on a 5/12 pitch w/12" overhangs…just a little observation…also when you book the shingles with no lines you can loose em quick…esp. with O.C. archs. I bet Megan doesn’t feel so bad after seeing all that you have to complain about…and I am sorry for your bad experience…I hate to see that slobs like that get work at all when work is so limited now…and that you put out a bundle of CASH…and got poor results…looks good from the CURB THOUGH!,lol…

numerous pictures of scuffing…can be expected in heat
gutter hangers 4 ft o.c…not even close to acceptable.

dropped gutter to pitch roof forces you to screw thru back of gutter/ restricts expansion.

mitre ends wood showing…can be repaired by adding metal under fold…not a problem, but should be done as they went along. skylight flashing details sloppy, but pictures show repaired already?..shingles kind of tight to flashing.

those areas where the gutter meets the roof, and they added a flashing are the weirdest thing I have seen in a long time…in snow country, you would be in serious trouble…

All I can say is that a lot of the job is unacceptable and you have a lot more to be upset then megan does (like jwool said,hahah). Only because whats wrong with your house was from the roofers and not the actual house itself like her problem was. Have you tried to see if they will come back at all to fix everything? Who knows, maybe they will be nice enough and care about their work.

Can you advise as far as the I&W shield a little more? Is it part of code in a local sense or federal sense? My old roof had none at all…

What does “book the shingles” mean? They did snap lines, from what I saw…

Well, I have a $1,000 holdback right now, and we are in day 11 of the 15 days I gave him to return or lose it.

Guys, should I be stopping payemnt on my check if I still can? Do I have serious issues here or mostlty aesthetic?? How can I find someone who will come out and actually document that?

As a followup…

Did some measuring…

I have overhangs in the back that are 18" (on the one side, the addition part) and then 24" on the rest of the rear (the sloppy gutter side).

The brackets are spaced about 30" apart on average…one space was pushing 40".

As far as I&W shield, they should have installed 2 rows. w/ 24" overhangs and a 5/12 slope you only have about 6 " beyond the inside of the exterior wall, not 24" as required min. that is why I always just install 2 rows , then I know for sure that the customer will not have a problem in the future. I know that code enforcement is different all over. Rule of thumb is if you get any snow,that stays on the roof for any length of time, I would recommend it wether or not it is mandatory. Here in N.E.P.A. we get alot of snow…it starts in Nov. and is around till april or May…and up until 2004 there was no building code enforced what so ever…so most homes are under built and under insulated…also I&W has not been around that long…to have been under your old roof. I did a job once that was osb sheathing and had no felt paper at all…18yrs old…and not 1 bad sheet…I am still required to install the proper products wether or not they were there when I tear off, or there is an inspection…That is why the inspectors now trust that if they can’t get to me quick enough they know that I don’t cut corners to save a couple bucks…

Booking shingles is a method of installing that you step back and forth 6-8"…instead of manufacturers instructions of stepping back at 6-8" steps consecutively…nothing wrong with this…just harder to keep shingles straight w/no lines…I.M.O. if they snapped lines an shingles are not consistently straight they were hacks… I snap 1 line at the bottom…and I keep em straighter than that…I will try to post some pics soon…

jwoolfsroofing: Booking the shingle’s is not part of the install instructions. Would you consider that voiding the warranty?

Roofer: I don’t believe that booking shingles voids the warranty. I believe that if you nail them on the line min. 4 nails the warranty should be in full force. Also if you nail on the line, you should not have to worry about warranty, cause you will not have a problem w/shingles blowing off or falling off…I have seen shingles blown off…stepped and booked, and all were high nailed…sliding off the steeps, and that was w/6-8 high nails. I have booked them myself, and I don’t worry that this will effect the performance of the shingles…the package states that if you step them, it will break up and patterning that may occur when booked. I try to step em cause it is easier to keep em straight and also faster to nail when you are not lifting up the end of every other shingle to nail the end…

So by “booking” you mean “racking”?

bookem,rackem,stackem, like shuffling cards,sometimes I stack on steeps,but I only do it with certain colors. The method of stepping back is only recomended by manufacturer, I believe that as long as the joints are at least 6" apart,and they are nailed on the line the warranty is in full effect. As far as I know I have not seen anything that says that if they are installed in another manner that it voids the warranty,but I may have missed that. On the wrapper it just says that if you step back again and again, there is less chance of the shingles apearing is some pattern…but the archs have such a random cut on the laminate that it does not seem to matter. GAF/ELK any way.

Jwoolf, here is where I disagree with you especially when you bring in the Gaf/Elf corporation into it. Not because I am in love with them but because of this link . . .

gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp? … RAI%26Uid=

They explain pretty well why it should not be done.

Oops. scroll down to where it says Best Practices and click on the Problem with Racking Link.

Color variations,skipped nails,and bending shingles IN COLD this is why they do not recommend this method…They said nothing about VOIDING the warranty. I am very careful as not to break the shingle when lifting the end to install the end nail,lol and also very careful not to put colors that look the same next to each other,lol…I rarely rack em anyway.lol and I would have to say that if there are 4-6 nails on the line…it will not matter if they are racked or stepped…they will not blow off!

I checked the Owens Corning site and they do discuss the use of racking…they only say that the installer should use shingles from several diff. bundles due to coloring variations and also that no end seam lines should be within 2" of a nail in the shingle below it…How can I check for that or that all buried now?

funny we were just talking about racking…I started 1 today that has 3 layers on 1 side…2 layers of 3 tabs and o.c. archs on top. They racked the archs, and seams are 3"apart all the way up… Some shingles had no nails in the end, and all were way high nailed (w/ 1-1/4" gun nails).lol… I started w/shingle eater ripper,and ended up ripping them up in 6’ sections by hand, like carpet…2nd layer was stapled w/1-1/2" sheathing staples, and 1st layer w/3/4" staples…over osb,THAT IS IN GREAT SHAPE…

As a followup, the holdback agreement I had with this guy ran out on the 15th…no word at all from him…

You probably will not see him again. He got some money and now hes off to do the same to another person. Have you tried calling him?

No, no word at all…and tha twas after he swore he would be back the next week to complete.

At this poitn I have no faith that the $1,000 will be enough to fix what he left behind plus any stuff jhe did completely wrong …I am going to get some reputable roofers out and see what they say.

Not to mention that I now have no peace of mind and the 3 year warranty in my contract is worthless.