4 in Copper vent pipe

I am going to be putting a steel roof on my house, but I have 4 in copper plumbing vent pipes. Is there something I can coat the pipes with to insulate them to prevent them from causing galvanic corrosion, or should I crawl into the attic, hack them off, get the proper fittings, and extend them through the roof with PVC? Or is there another solution.

0 Likes

The pipe boot will have a neoprene collar, so there shouldn’t be any contact between the copper pipe and steel roof panels.

2 Likes

I suppose I should have elaborated a bit. I understand the neoprene, as well as the galvanized pan of the pipe flashing will prevent direct contact between the copper pipe and the roof panels/shingles. What I was concerned about, was water running down the upper exposed portion of the pipe above the neoprene collar. I have read about condensation on copper coils on roof mounted AC units and such, dripping onto the steel roof below and causing corrosion. I would just figure rain dripping down a copper pipe and then onto the roof would do the same.

0 Likes

I see what you mean. I wouldn’t worry too much about it as the paint is another barrier, but if you are really concerned, by all means do your idea of using pvc pipe.

0 Likes

Paint is all you need.

1 Like