You got to be kidding

:x i just did an est, for a 32sq 2 layer walker tareoff with 6 feet of ice and water shield and deck arrmor for 10200.00 and the home owner said it was tooo much money and he had an est of 7500.00 he would not let me see the est so i told him to take it and run theres no way i can come close to that.

Dont be discouraged. The dumb@#s around here would sell that job for $5,760. I would go about 13K.

Just today I was giving a re-roof private work job that is about $140k. I have about 20k of profit built into it that qoute. I also found out that on a different job new construction my bid was about 180k I was beat by 20k. I bidded that job w/ 30k for overhead and profit. It just goes to show you there is a huge in-consistancy in prices in this business. Whoever bidded that job has no profit figured into that price. They are basically bidding to keep guys working. There material isn’t any cheaper nor is their labor. So the only thing missing is the profit.

I try to weed out the ones that are trying to find the cheapest bid.

Things will get worse before they get better.

Real fair price you gave…9600.00 for 1 layer walker for me. 600.00 more for 2 layer is a gift,and the guy should kiss you on the lips for that…lol
It is always the same story,the low baller makes the real price look high…
I like to be the last contractor to the door.Usually when the H.O. has met the competition it makes me look that much better,that is if anyone else shows up…allot of jobs I get because I am the only one to show…On steep pigs I am the only 1! If they get another bid it is so outragous that I get it and look like a saint at 450.00 to 550.00 for 12/12 1 layer 1 story,lol I did 1 last summer 13 sq. 12/12 1 story for 6800.00,and got 3 more all around it cause I was the nice guy,and got 6 more referrals to their friends that paid 350.00 for 1 layer walkers…
It is easy to get good money for roofs when you give a Long form typed contract,in a nice folder with typed warranty…their is no competition to a quote from the other guy on a cock tail napkin,lol…

Hi,

My son Jesse and my gutter salesman print up a detailed contract.

I sell most of my work with a handshake. It is a hard habit to overcome. When I am doing repairs on a commercial roof, I write up a discription with pictures explaining what needs to be done. Then a handshake.

just today in the Buffalo News on the front page of section C, there is an story about a couple who had a 22 sq roof 0ne layer walker and they where getting est of 7000.00 to 25000,00 for a tare off check out the web site @TheBuffalonews.com:roll: for the story

Perhaps the owner was just throwing a random lowball number out there to get you to come down.

:roll: anyone can do that ,now he can take it or leave it

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

My son Jesse and my gutter salesman print up a detailed contract.

I sell most of my work with a handshake. It is a hard habit to overcome. When I am doing repairs on a commercial roof, I write up a discription with pictures explaining what needs to be done. Then a handshake.[/quote]

In the past 10 years I’ve sealed millions of dollars in jobs with just a good old fashion handshake. Last year a few notable handshake jobs was a $32K and $34K asphalt roof replacements. They were both 48 square roofs one was a 7/12 the other was a 10/12.

Of course it helps when 99% of the leads are from referals.

The only time I got nervous was a roof I did in 07 that took almost 10 months to get paid on. The home owenrs paid for the shingles I just had to carry the labor for a lot longer than normal. Called them every few months and left really nice messages. What kept me from getting angry was the fact that they turned me on to several of there neighbors who had me do there roofs.

If I can’t trust a home owner I don’t want to work for them wether it’s with a hand shake or a contract approved by a lawyer.

There are times I will lower my price but never to compete with the low ballers. For example yesterday I went down to meet with my tax man and when we were finished up he gave me the information on his brother who needed a new roof. Him and his wife want the same shingles I put on my accountants roof a couple years back. Used to live down there and learned right away that the going rate for roofing is a lot less than it is in the Twin Cities. Going to have to sharpen my pencil so to speak if I want to earn there business. The roof is 22sq 4/12 four pieces with two tin courses. Haven’t figured a price out yet though…

I read a quote on here the other day that struck me as rather profound. “How hungry are your children?” Apparently their is some hungry children out there.

I bought some christmas decorations from someone
Started to talk about my 24x36 addition, turns out he is a roofer. He offered to roof it for $400, he has 5 kids & not enough work
:cry:

:smiley: it turns out he did have a contract DATED from 2002 what some people will try to pull…He didnt know prices went up so high until he got other est…

A 7 year old contract & he thought prices were the same :shock:

news flash!
the countrys in a depression.
people are doin things real cheap.
i dont blame them.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]news flash!
the countrys in a depression.
people are doin things real cheap.
i dont blame them.

gweedo.[/quote]

You can’t use the word depression yet :mrgreen:

yea, maybe we can borrow his time machine so we can buy some bundles at 02 prices…

unfortunately, for me, that $7500 is an average price for my area. I would of been at $8,000. TO many hacks with ladders

wow! i’m at $9,440 and i thought that was low.

ha geez, all these numbers latley are starting to make me feel like im too expensive. With deck armor and 6 ft I+W I dont think I could even consider doing it for anything less than 11.